3 nights in the Whites, where to go?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Life's been super hectic lately (new house, new puppy, work, bum back, economy etc etc) and my backpacking frequency has fallen victim.

Fortunately, I see a window of opportunity to get away for the weekend of September 17-20. I'm in much need of some time up above 4K, and would like to schedule a 2-3 night trip (either solo or with a buddy) to get out and enjoy the mountains.

That said, if you had 4 days/3nights to bag some peaks and hit the trails, where would you go?

Requirements:

1. Several peaks (Other than Franconia Ridge, Bonds, Kinsmans)
2. White Mountains
2. Established campsites
3. Good views
4. Anything special

I don't mind thumbing a ride back to the start, so a loop in not necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

Last edited:
crawford path, dry river, great gulf

Crawford path from Crawford Notch, camp in Dry River drainage, 1-2 nights. Dry River trail has shelters and forest service designated sites. Then 1-2 nights in Great Gulf. There's several designated sights on the Great Gulf Trail. I especially like the one on the ridge at the intersection with the Madison Gulf trail (The Bluff).

The Wamsutta trail is awesome and one good way to connect the Southern and Northern Presidentials. There's forest service designated sites near its intersection with the Great Gulf trail.

This could be either one way or a loop. Chauvin Guides has an interesting loop in his blog that could be the basis for a good backpack (search for Figure of Eight).

http://www.chauvinguides.com/conditions.htm

If you've got two cars, consider starting with the Hancocks, heading over Cedar Brook through the Pemi via the Bonds, staying at Guyout, then the Twins to Garfield Tentsite, then out over Franconia Ridge to Lincoln Woods. Check your Pemi Map and you will see what I mean.

If you only have one car, just take it a tad slower and enjoy the views a bit longer!

Thanks Guys!

Una, the route you describe looks nice, but I want to bag a few new peaks and steer clear of the bonds and Franconia Ridge.

I have to admit, the figure 8 looks like a good time! I'll have to pull out my maps and see where/how I would break that into a three night backpack and where would be best to spend the night. at 30ish miles, that would be a comfortable 7.5/day, pending on how I broke it up. This route woule also allow for some peaks that still need to be tagged!

Hmm, the wheels are spinning.

BK

Oh sorry, I misread your first requirement!!

Let me start again!

Why not start over in Evan's Notch, hit the Baldfaces and Royces, then trek across the Wild River Wilderness and hit the Carters/Moriah Range via the backside??? Special country and you will be able to avoid crowds for the most of it.

We were up there this weekend and the foliage is starting to turn!

How about the Carter range to Imp shelter (very nice), Cross Mariah Brook to Blue Brook shelter or something in that area(never been there), back Black Angel trail? All sorts of stuff east of the Carters that's not quite 4000 but likely not crowded either...

Northern Presis

Big fan of the RMC camps on the shoulders of Mt Adams...Crag Camp, Grey Knob, and the Perch - the Log Cabin is pretty low down and is not as useful IMHO - unless you are hiking up in three feet of snow ;)

These camps are inexpensive ($10-15 night) and give you shelter and access to a lot of high peaks without descending every day.

Have a blast!

Thanks.

The Northern Presis are definately a possibility, as I have yet to tag them.

I guess I will have to weigh crowds versus peaks. That is, if I want to cross off peaks from the lists I will need to tollerate crowds, especially this time of year. I'm stuck between solitude, and my list of 48....

Hmmm....

Suggestion...

Northern Presis or Carter Range sound good, but how about both! Try this one - Start at Great Gulf trailhead early, drop pack at Osgood Tentsite for evening camping, do a loop up Six Husbands to Jeff, across to Adams and Madison and back to Osgood. Next day back out Great Gulf, up Nineteen Mile Brook Tr, get Carter Dome and stay at or near Carter Notch Hut. If you are really ambitious, add in Middle and South Carter via Imp Tr in lieu of going up 19 Mile Brook. Next day across the Wildcats back to Pinkham Notch and hitch a ride from there.

Now that should be fun!

Both of una_dogger's suggestions are nice. I did an interesting variation on her first idea this spring. The hike up from Hancock Notch towards the Pemi is beautiful and you'll see barely a soul. I took the Ceder Brook Trail up to the Shoal Pond Trail and camped at the Ethan Pond campsite the first night. It's a long day but virtually flat). This gives you a good base to hit the Willey Range or head over towards Zealand on interesting trails. I did the Willey Range on day 2 and headed over to Guyot to camp before heading over the Bonds and back to the car on day 3. If you don't have to loop back to your car, the variations are endless.

I love the area of the Pemi around the Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls Trails. It really feels so much more isolated than most of the Whites.

I love the area of the Pemi around the Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls Trails. It really feels so much more isolated than most of the Whites.

I agree...have you been around the Norcross Pond Area yet?...very nice area, one of my favorite lakeside places in the North East....Nancy Mnt not being a 4k keeps this area very quiet...the view from the outlet of Norcross Pond into the Pemi is astounding. A rare unbroken long range view for the Whites.

Norcross Pond

Thanks for the info on Norcross Pond. I just explored that area on my map and will definitely add that to my list of places to explore this fall. I'm finding the Whites even more fun now that I'm free from having a peak list hovering over my head.

Northern Presis or Carter Range sound good, but how about both! Try this one - Start at Great Gulf trailhead early, drop pack at Osgood Tentsite for evening camping, do a loop up Six Husbands to Jeff, across to Adams and Madison and back to Osgood. Next day back out Great Gulf, up Nineteen Mile Brook Tr, get Carter Dome and stay at or near Carter Notch Hut. If you are really ambitious, add in Middle and South Carter via Imp Tr in lieu of going up 19 Mile Brook. Next day across the Wildcats back to Pinkham Notch and hitch a ride from there.

Now that should be fun!
I did a variation of this trip once, and I'll add that you can also start at Pinkham and take Old Jackson Rd and the Madison Gulf Trail (I think, guide book is at home) into the Great Gulf which will put you right near the Osgood tentsite and negate the need to hitch or otherwise find a way back to your car at the end of the hike.

wildriver - park at the campground, head south, find a place to camp - should be easy along that big, beautiful river. then, you can go up baldfaces and do a loop (lovely above treeline) or go up the other side and do something tasty along the carters.

As usual, plans change....

My three night trip will now only be a one night trip over the weekend... The good news is that my brother will be visiting before I head out versus work keeping me away...

I decided on the Northern Presis.

Any suggestions as to the best route over Adams, Jefferson, and Madison with one night tenting at one of the RMC sites...? I'll pull out the maps tonight, but would love some input to help pass the day away....

Thanks,

Bryan