3rd Annual VFTT Adirondack BBQ and Gathering August 18th thru August 21st

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave - Yum REAL BAGELS! I am planning on one or two fire tower hikes in the Paul Smith area on Friday if you are interested. Once is Azure mountain which is 2 miles RT. The other is St. Regis which is longer (6 RT?) and a bit more difficult.

My backpacking plans just got derailed due to my partner spraining his ankle. After giving it some hard thought I decided not to do the trip solo.

So, now I'm looking for partners to do the Erminebrook slide from Newcomb and summiting Santanoni (and Panther optionally) then exiting to a car spotted at the Bradley Pond trailhead on the Tahawus road. I have all the info, gps and otherwise, required to do this hike. If your interested you might want to know that from the slide top to Santa it's a bushwhack as is the section from the Ermine Brook to the slide's base.

Also, this would be a long day. My very rough estimate: Newcomb to Ermine brook 2 hours. Ermine brook to slide base 2 hours. Slide 2 hours (gotta take our time here!). Bushwhack to Santa 2-3 hours. Santa to Bradley Pond trail 2 hours. To trail head 2 more for a total of about 12 hours not including driving time and vehicle spotting and collecting.

I'm leaving for the ADK's now and will be camping at Spence's from tonite through to Sunday.

daxs said:
Dave - Yum REAL BAGELS! I am planning on one or two fire tower hikes in the Paul Smith area on Friday if you are interested. Once is Azure mountain which is 2 miles RT. The other is St. Regis which is longer (6 RT?) and a bit more difficult.

Carol-
This looks like a hike I would be interested in. Can I join you?

Dana

No problem. Its actually 2 separate mountains. The 2 miler (Azure) is quite easy. There are good views of the St Lawrence Valley from St. Regis. I will be getting into Spencers early Thursday evening - 7ish? I hope to get a somewhat early start on Friday morning in order to make dinner at Crickets. Any one else is welcome. I can fit 3 others comfortably in my car, 4 with a little bit of a squeeze.

Spencer,

Change of plans for Nathalie and I. We wont be able to make the gathering this year. We were able to secure camp sites at Baxter State Park (which I wasn't counting on).
Have a great time everyone. Play safe!
:D

Carol,

Sounds interesting, will get assorted bagels...should get there app 9 but you know how traffic is sometimes...safe trip..

I have an entire bushel of fresh, native, corn on the cob loaded in the car. Everyone can consider themselves conscripted for shucking on Saturday!
:)

I'm interested in the Azure and St Regis Mountain hikes too. I'm planning on joining a couple of friends on a hike to Couchasaraga on Saturday so Friday will want something easy.
I've done Regis before, it's a nice little hike with great views, but have never done Azure and always wanted to check it out.
Hoping to arrive Thursday evening but if I end up coming Friday morning will drive straight to Azure as it is closer to where I'll be coming from.

I'll also try and pick up some Montreal Bagels if I can fit it in.

-Phil

Arab and Cathedral Rock are right there as well. They are also part of the Firetower Challenge. If you don't have those two you could easily get Arab, Azure and Catedral Rock in one day. 2+2+3 miles, but alot of driving.

Going for bagels...see ya later..safe trip...at 9 this morning I will be painted up as the "UMPA-LOOM-PA-LA" man in camp...so i might be a little orange when i get there!. :eek: .just a warning...this way you don't think u drank to much! :rolleyes:

I have through about adding Arab and Catheral Rocks onto the list. I'll see what time is like. No Flying Fish Ale this year for my local microbrew contribution. Cannot find it in any store. BUT, I did find a local Philadelphia brew - Yards. I will not need a DOCTOR appointment with trip.

SherpaKroto said:
Anyone up for Algonquin/Iroquois/Wright tomorrow?

Hi Sherpa. I am! I'm arriving with David (Coldfeet) about 9 or 10 tonight and would love to go for a good above treeline hike tomorrow. I've hiked Algonquin and Iroquois many years ago but never did Wright, just remember how nice the views were from the first 2. Are you bringing your guitar?

I would be interested in Marshall as well, years ago I remember looking that way from Iroquois and pondering what it would be like to travel over that ground. I guess we will talk tonight as everyone is traveling by now or just about to.

I'm really looking forward to some great hiking this weekend. :D Thanks, Fred

PS. I'm bringing wine instead of beer for those of you that are beer or carb challenged ;) , also looking forward to some songs around the campfire......

Last edited:
I know I may be a bit late to arrange something before most of you hit the road for the gathering but is any one interested in climbing Seymour, Couchee, Cliff. Redfield and/or Pryamid/Gothics on Sat.or Sun.? Diana

Ack, I thought I could go for this whole time without replying to this thread...

Matt and I will be attempting Cliff and Redfield on saturday, except we're going in on Friday night sometime, somewhere.

So if anybody see 2 craggaily looking guys lost in the woods, that'll be Matt and I. :)

Jay

Please take care ...

... of my new Canadian friend. I need Harryk back in one piece, please.

Everyone have fun!

Great time!

Spence & Maddy: THANK YOU so much for hosting this gathering again (Third Annual). Although we had to leave Saturday morning, we had a great time Friday! (Oh, who was that NAKED MAN in the pool Friday night?!!) So much beer; so little time. Two kinds of BLUEBERRY ale (Maine & Mass). "Big Moose" (JT) and I hiked Saddleback (the other one - ADK 100 Highest); it's a nice BW - wish they were all that nice - and with fresh raspberries along the way. I'm sorry that Jane, Annie, and I didn't see Emily to say good-bye when we left; we enjoyed her company very much. Don't think I'll be able to make the VT or ME gatherings (it's a LONG way from Buffalo). 'Til next time, -Bob (ALG)

Last edited: