4 VT 4000 footers for Memorial Weekeend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
Plans were to join Garry for a trip to Baxter for Memorial Weekend...but weighing the options (Holiday traffic, trails closed), decided to change plans and hit the VT peaks which were all new for me. Garry had hiked them before but was fine with joining me. ;)

Left Keene Sat AM and drove right to Lincoln Gap and hiked the Long Trail over Abraham to Mt Ellen. Signed in to see Courtney & Sue were ahead of us, but they were
Heading over to Appalachian Gap and returning. Garry and I were being cautious as we’re both recovering still……and had 3 days to hike. (that’s my story)!! So the shorter
Hike worked for us. :eek:

As we topped out on Abraham, we met a couple and a single guy hiker and visited with them a little. They were telling us about a plane wreck down the trail. We followed them to the site, amazing that they survived. 6/28/1973 Lincoln, VT Cessna 182N reg#N92431
Was a non-fatal crash. As we walked around the remains of the plane, it’s incredible that they didn’t go over the other side of the Mtn.. We continued on as our new friends turned back after snacking on Lincoln Peak. We waited til Sugarbush ski area to have lunch and a little break.

Really nice hike and conditions along the ridge passing so many ski areas to Mt Ellen where we turned around and hiked back. Very few people on the trail. :D

Sunday was raining at our campsite in Bristol VT, so we lounged around and after the rain stopped, headed to Camel's Hump. Hiked Monroe Trail up to the summit, again seeing very few people along the way. I guess Burrow’s Trail is the more popular route. At the summit, we only had 4 other people and two were from the Ranger Station. After a Summit shot and a snack while looking out at our views, Garry double checked with one
Of the girls if the wreck was off the Alpine Trail. Off we went to see another plane wreck. Heading down off Camel’s Hump along the Long Trail we turned onto the Alpine Trail for a few minutes to find the crash site..or at least where a wing remains. :(

http://www.waterburyvtfire.com/wbrt/cap.doc -Sad story of this crash.

Then down we headed back to the Monroe trail and out. Garry and I enjoyed a nice relaxing dinner/fire at campsite. :D

Monday morning woke to beautiful sunny skies so packed up and decided to grab Mansfield while we were up there and I seem to be grabbing the VT 4000 footers….
Chose to drive over to Underhill State Park and hike Sunset Ridge Trail to the Chin.
Really enjoyed this hike, lots of rocks and the ridge was great! I love ridge hikes!
The wind was strong on Sunday, but the sun was hot so it made for perfect hiking conditions! Had lunch at the summit where quite a few hikers were lounging about.
I felt like I was on Mt Monadnock on a weekend………I still really enjoyed this hike, the descent was fast and sweet as we rock scrambled and hopped down at pretty good speed.

Stopped at the turn off for Cantilever Rock and hiked out to check it out. Really cool spot where I lounged on a sweet sloping rock while Garry climbed up on top. A couple young hikers visited with me and had good hiking talk. They are heading to the White’s with a group from college and were asking for suggestions…
After a while decided we better head down and home..hard to leave that sunny spot! :rolleyes:

Great weekend with Garry in VT hitting some fun 4000 foot peaks. Perfect weather with hardly any bugs at all. :D Sounds like we picked a good choice for Memorial Weekend! No traffic coming home either!! Knee was feeling stronger everyday!! :D

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/VT4000Footers?feat=directlink

Looks like you had pretty good weather for a Vermont peakbagging trip with Garry. All pleasant hikes with good views. I'll have to check out your pictures later...I'm sure they're awesome as usual. Glad to hear the knee is recovering.

Sounds like a cool trip, I like those little peaks in VT, and it's close to Ben n Jerrys... :D at least Camel's Hump is...

Jay

Sounds like a cool trip, I like those little peaks in VT, and it's close to Ben n Jerrys... :D at least Camel's Hump is...

Jay

Arrived at Ben & Jerry's at 6:12 to find out that they close at 6:00. But was told they stay open later as of June 1(did us a lot of good).....so had to settle was an ice cream creamery down the road...:p

so glad you're feeling strong and crushing the peaks! you only left one lonely. well, it probably still has skiers on it.

Great report Darl.... Glad to hear the knee is recovering well. That's some impressive elevation for one weekend. Love the pics!
Mansfield has literally hours of good fun rock hopping around the summit ridge...that rock tunnel you HAD :p to go thru reminded me of the Subway trail up there. Also another good one on the east side is the Cliff trail. Well worth going back for some day.

Arrived at Ben & Jerry's at 6:12 to find out that they close at 6:00. But was told they stay open later as of June 1(did us a lot of good).....so had to settle was an ice cream creamery down the road...:p

I went there on a saturday in the fall and they weren't running so I got a tour of an empty plant, but because this was post summer, I got 2 samples of the flavor they were offering because the tour was somewhat sparsely attended. Yay me. There is a grocery store across the street where you can probably buy a pint of Ben N Jerrys for the same price they offer at the plant! I know we went there and all of us gobbled down a pint of ice cream...

Jay