40 years on the Applachian Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AHIKER

Reaction score
To All Hikers:

I wanted to share with you all a moment in my life that has taken me the last 40 years to reach. This past week I FINALLY completed the 2175 mile Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine. I didn't start out to walk the whole trail but it just kind worked its way into my life. My first step on the trail was my hike to North Kinsman on 5/4/1968. This was followed by climbing all the "4000 Footers" of New Hampshire. After that it was the "4000 footers of New England" and finally in 1996 hiking the "Long Trail" in Vermont from Massachusetts to Canada. The Appalachian Trail traverses most of the high mountains in New Hampshire and Vermont so I was doing the AT but not with any goal of actually finishing it - that came later in 1998. That's when I starting walking south on the "AT" and by 2003 had gotten as far as Waynesboro, Virginia. In 2004 I started in Georgia hiking north and this past week reached Waynesboro, VA!!! I will always have trouble grasping that idea that I have walked all that way. I have many fond (and some not so fond) memories of the journey. I am very excited to have finished it before my 70th birthday (this December).

One of the founders of the trail, Benton Mackaye, once made a remark about hikers trying to complete the trail in the shortest amount of time. His comment was that there should only be recognition for those who take the longest to complete it!!! I know that if Benton were alive today he would certainly approve of my 40 year accomplishment.

Thank you for this opportunity to share my happiness with you fello hikers!

Gordon "Renaissance Man" Ripley
Rindge, NH

You did it...you did it! Congrats Gordon!!!
What a wonderful accomplishment in your life. :)

Wow, that is an awesome story. Big congrats to sticking with your goal and finishing the trail. I love stories like this and I don't care what anyone else says - it takes a lot more work and commitment to stick it out and finish the way that you did than hiking it all in one year. I hope that I'm still out there hiking the AT in 30 years... Thanks for sharing your story.

WOW! That was a surprise read this morning! Congrats on doing the AT in such fine style... your own!

So here's the deal now that you're done: you have to show up at some VFTT Gatherings so that we can hear more! You've obviously been too busy... now lay back with us and tell us about it! ;) [contrary to popular rumor, we also hike at gatherings]

Congrats AHIKER. A great accomplishment.

The AT is a very addicting trail. I know after my first step, I was hooked. As soon as I finished a section, I would be planning the next.

Thank you for allowing us here on VFTT to share in your happiness. :)

I am very excited to have finished it before my 70th birthday (this December).

Very very nice. Congratulations! I'd say you did it in the time you were ment to, no sooner, no later.

now lay back with us and tell us about it!

So what's next? You're only 70. :)

Many thanks to all

I am overwhelmed!
Many thanks to all who responded to my post. It is nice to
be amoung friends who have shared like experiences. Keep
walking is my mantra! Hope to see you all out on the trails.
Gordon Ripley

Congratulations on your outstanding accomplishment.
You are a wonderful inspiration to never stop hiking.
You did good! :)

Congrats on your journey! This report and trek are more impressive to me than any trek that was done averaging 30 miles a day and having multiple persons on a support staff. It's about a love for the mountains, the journey, and the experience. Nice job.

What, am I crazy!!!!!!

Good morning friends:

Well, you can't keep a hiker down I always say. I have been looking over my maps and thinking "Why not drive down to Springer next spring and do a few miles???". Why not indeed. So, I looked it over and am thinking maybe 163 miles from Springer to Fontana Dam say in late April or first week of May. I love to plan these things and thus have it all mapped out already. It would lake about 15 days which means an average of 11 miles a day!! Pretty easy going but a great way to actually enjoy the trip and not be struggling. I also planned food drops at; Neel's Gap, Hiawasee (staying in a motel), Winding Stair Gap, and Nantahala. The most food being carried at any time would weigh 6.5# (based on 1.5# per day) which is for 3 days plus one emergency day.

So, if anyone has thought they might like to do the AT or at least some of it then perhaps you would like to drive down with me and share expenses (round trip gas would be $200 split 50/50). It is about an 18 hour drive from Rindge, NH to Fontana Dam. There is shuttle service from there to Springer but I do not know the cost.

Finally, I would be more than willing to advise on what to take, food advice, etc. Let me know if any one is interested.

Gordon "Rennaisance Man" Ripley

I don't usually offer congratulations but a 40-year accomplishment is different. Congratulations, Gordon.

And it sounds like last week was a good time to be in Waynesboro not Rindge.