48 finish on Cabot on April 22nd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Just a short trip report to say that Réjean & I from Montréal did Horn/Bulge/Cabot on Sat. 22nd April on a lovely, warm and shiny spring day. We left the small parking lot at the Berlin fishery gate at 07h30 and we were back at 15h00. Please note that the bridge just beyond the gate is under repair, thus not allowing you to go any further by car. Also snowshoes are still necessary on the Kilkenny Ridge trail & for the bushwhack up Horn (an easy one otherwise).

Do not miss going up Horn which has the better view by far of all 3 peaks, with Madison/Adams/Jefferson clearly visible as well as the Wildcats/Carters to the east. Also check out a small rocky ridge on your left on the way down past Cabot, which offers great views of the col between Cabot & Terrace Mountain.

The Unknown Pond & Bunnell Notch trails travel alongside small brooks and thus enchant your ears with very pleasant spring music. To our surprise the trails were remarkably dry for this time of the year.

All things considered we had a gorgeous day; and as for me, I had the added satisfaction of finishing my N.H. 48 on Cabot.

Pierre

Well Done!

Pierre,

Congratulations on the finish of the 48! I was in the group that you met on Vose Spur and again on Scar Ridge. I'm convinced there is little that will stop you!

I think you're really coming here for the cheap gas and not to hike. But, you stay to hike since you're already here. :)

See you on the trails again soon, I hope.

Earl

Oncoman said:
Please note that the bridge just beyond the gate is under repair, thus not allowing you to go any further by car. Also snowshoes are still necessary on the Kilkenny Ridge trail & for the bushwhack up Horn (an easy one otherwise).

Do not miss going up Horn which has the better view by far of all 3 peaks, with Madison/Adams/Jefferson clearly visible as well as the Wildcats/Carters to the east.
Pierre

That bridge has been under repair for a long time, but as of Nov. there was an alternate bridge a few hundred yards to the right, by the buildings, that allowed you to drive to the trailhead.

Anyway, congratulations on your achievement. C'est magnifique! You'll probably add the NE 67 and NEHH with such dispatch that you'll be able to collect all three patches at next April's FTFC dinner.

I agree with you on the view from those rocks atop the Horn, but I liked best the view north, since it included many peaks up in Coos country that I'd never seen before.

Mike