#48 on Mt. Isolation Sunday, 10/21/07, and Mt. Davis to boot!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score

First,here's the pictures: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561142294sPSniY

Hello everyone, this past weekend I was joined by my father on a 3 day, 2 night backpacking trip up Mt. Isolation, my last NH 4000 footer. We stayed both nights at the tent site at the Davis Path/Isolation Tr. This site worked well for a fairly easy day hike out to Mt Davis and back, including Isolation on the return trip. We were both very glad we made the trip out to Mt. Davis, which has arguably a better view than Isolation.

The rain over Friday night left the trails Saturday wet and muddy, we hit the trail around 12 Saturday. A couple sections of the Rocky Branch Tr. (descending the Rocky Branch Tr. coming in)and Isolation Tr. (last 1/2 mile before tent site) were a stream and we had to rock hop to try and stay dry. The Rocky Branch Brook crossing at the #2 shelter was pretty high andrequired wading through fast moving water in 3 strap sandals, poles definitely made it easier and safer. Also, during the last 1/2 mile before our tentsite we got rained on for 20 minutes, the worst weather of the trip. I got to the site first around and set up the tent, I filtered water 100 yards down the Isolation Tr. while my dad set up the site and got ready to cook dinner. We spent the night cooking steak teriyaki with rice for dinner under the Hubba Hubba's vestibule(the Newport mansion of two man tents), sipping manhattans and listening to the Red Sox game in the tent, it was VERY windy and damp Saturday night at 3775 feet. Also, before bed my Dad gave me a sweet gadget hiking watch with barometer, altimeter, thermometer, etc...

We awoke to clearing weather, a stiff wind. We slept in a bit and had a coffee, oatmeal, and a bagel knowing we only had about 5 miles of ridge to hike that day with day-packs, ehem, day-PACK as the I carried all we needed. We also moved our tent to a better site, which was occupied by another group that night. With our site set up and bellies full we set out at around 10:20 maybe. The Davis Path was a very nice walk in the woods with temps in the low 50s and a WNW wind, we passed a group of 4 women with a very shy dog wearing a pack, it wanted nothing to do with me. Trails were still a little wet and muddy in spots. We passed by the Isolation spur and kept going on out to Mt. Davis, only a couple grumbles from the old man about losing elevation we would have to regain later were heard as we we descended after the Isolation spur. I saw a few female Spruce Grouse ahead on the trail in this stretch, all to fast and stealthily colored for me to photograph. We reached Mt. Davis after the steep spur trail where we had lunch out of the wind behind the very fine Mt. Davis cairn. We took in the fantastic views under a cloudless sky, bluebird!! We sat around here for maybe a half an hour before getting on our way to Isolation.

The hike back up to Isolation wasn't bad and I made real good time back to the Isolation spur where I took a good break, and put on thin fleece pants and a windbreaker while waiting for my Dad to catch up. While waiting I heard a couple other guys on the summit talking about champagne and whats next after the 48. Soon, my father caught up as another hiker came running around the corner who it turns out, was also finishing the 48. We followed behind this guy up the spur, passing the two guys who I heard, who came in via Glen Boulder. Popping out of the trees we were greeted by more crystal clear views of the Southern Pressies, Washington, many other peaks and ridges of the Pemi to the south, Moosilauke, Carter Range, Baldfaces, among others. We had the lone hiker take our picture and then hung out at the summit for an hour or more taking in the views and drinking shitty champagne, a last second idea by myself(shoulda hiked in beer). Since we had the place to ourselves, we whipped out the transistor and listened to the Pats whoop on the Dolphins. It was awesome just sitting on the summit with my Dad thinking about all the trails and peaks it took to get here and have such gorgeous weather for my final summit, it was very satisfying for sure. We finally decided to leave the summit after a long visit, the 1 mile walk back to the site was very pleasant and we arrived with plenty of time to gather wood for a small fire for the night. Though a bit warmer, the wind stayed with us Sunday night as well. My dad cooked chicken and noodles for dinner and we spent the night listening to the Sox win and earn the right to play in the World Series, where the Colorado Rockies have it coming to them.

Monday morning broke to warm temps no wind, suuuhweet. We broke camp around 8 and made the leisurely hike out to Rt. 16, first filtering water at our first crossing of the Rocky Branch, arriving back at the car a little after 12. Also, on the way down we checked out the other two tentsites along our route, any one of these could have been adequate for the trip. A great weekend, father and son, gorgeous weather, 48th NH peak, Sox in the World Series, couldn't be better. I want to thank all you on this board for the wealth of advice and information I've acquired since joining. I loved having VFTT as a resource for any and all hiking questions imaginable, thanks again. I also want to thank my Dad, who started me hiking and backpacking and who I owe my love of the outdoors to. See ya'll out on the trails, I think I have some trips to Maine ahead of me next year. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations Todd!
I couldn't help but remember your first overnight backpacking trip with you (age 9?)and your brother and sister on the AT at the cascades in the Berkshires.
Remember Thunderstorm Junction and a snow storm at Gray Knob on Thanksgiving weekend when you were 11 years old followed by skiing Tuckerman's! Little did I realize as your Dad that you would take it to this level and love every minute of it.
I'll never forget this past weekend. It was one of those special moments as your dad that I'll cherish for the rest of my life!!
Love ya
Dad

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing on a cool peak and with your dad - that is real nice. :) I need to get back to Iso and Mount Davis looks spectacular as well!

It is all getting clearer now...in 1975 and 1986 I was not a hiker and the Sox lost...in 2004 I was hiking for games 1 and 2 of the WS and they one...I am still hiking so things look good this year...ironically, the only MLB game I went to this year was at Coors Field where I saw Jeff Francis take a perfect game into the 6th.

Congratulations to you and your dad

Great ending to your 48 quest, TDawg. Congratulations on your finish and for being able to share it with the man who instilled the love of the outdoors in you.

Congratulations TDawg, way to go! Photos are amazing.

And Craig, congratulations to you for a great job of fathering!!!

Thanks everyone.

I think the view of Monroe, Washington, Boote Spur is unlike any other in the White Mtns in the way that it is hard to think of any other spot where you feel so small, maybe on the Bridle Path looking at Lafayette/Lincoln. Just the way your are towered over by an obvious alpine area like that, while standing on another peak(although I'm sure there is one I haven't been to of course).

As it turns out I only have 5 peaks in Maine (Katahdin-Hamlin, North Brother, Old Speck, and the 2 Bigelows, and the 5 in Vermont for the 67.

Last edited:
Way to go, TDawg! And nice bit from Dad. Cool stuff.

Vermont is great. More mellow peaks, but the vibe matches. Do Camel's Hump with the approach from South. (Either backpacking the LT from Ap Gap, or one of the side trails to the LT and up). The Bigelows also rock! I was there the day before I met you and we chatted about them below Sugarloaf. Do the loop so you can take in the Horns and Horns Pond. Nice pics as always.

Gillian said:
Congrats!! :) That's so great that you got to finish with your Dad. It was my Dad who got me into hiking - although the terrain is very different in Ireland. I'll always be grateful for the love of the outdoors he passed on to me.

aaahh...Ireland...beautiful place :)