4Ks with Structures (Past or Present)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[*]Cannon - Summit building, observing platform, fire tower remnants under current building.

Fire tower was at end of current bldg toward ski lift

Nose does have 200' col (previous note here), tower at summit to be relocated eliminating hazard

.... didn't they finally remove the old firetower (which was under/next to the current viewing platform) within the last year or so - but you are right - the footings must still be there. I know it was falling apart, but, I alway rue the lost history!!!! :(

The stone shelter on Marcy wasn't just removed- it was blown up. It was supposed to be an emergency shelter, but hikers were purposefully camping in it, rather than just using it during emergencies. Plus it was getting used as a bathroom pretty regularly during the summer months (for #2, of course).

Whiteface in NY also used to have a fire tower.

EDIT: Also, it might be too far away to count, but Lookout Mountain, which is pretty much a bump on the side of Esther not too far from the summit, used to have a ski lodge on it. There's actually an old cabin up there still that's part of the Whiteface ski area, used for storing equipment and what not.

Last edited:
Regarding Ellen, what is it and how far from the true summit? :confused:

On Ellen, the top of the chair lift for the ski area is pretty much right smack on the summit. I think there's also a little warming hut for ski patrol up there as well.

.... didn't they finally remove the old firetower (which was under/next to the current viewing platform) within the last year or so - but you are right - the footings must still be there.

The old cab (long since boarded up) had been removed when I was there a couple falls ago, but I think the supporting steel was still there although it may be gone now - and they could have jackhammered the footings away (easier there than on Speckled :)

[*]Garfield - Remnants of Building - slight shelter

In addition to concrete footings there was a nearby toolshed or outhouse in woods

When I first heard about this one from HIKER.ED a few years back, was sure he was pulling my leg. Sure enough, though, when I went poking around, just a few feet north of the Garfield Ridge Trail, there it was! Although Gary Moody was nowhere to be seen, I'm pretty sure this structure was an outhouse.

Jay Peak in VT got shorter when they blasted the summit to build the building

Although the above statement makes a nice tale, it is not true.
Even back when the Skyhouse was built, it was stipulated that the summit elevation would not be changed by the construction very nearby.

Actually as somebody close to TR should know, probably any peak with a fire tower had an outhouse and toolshed at ground level

Actually as somebody close to TR should know, probably any peak with a fire tower had an outhouse and toolshed at ground level
Well, she tells me her dad never had a toolshed... But he did have a cellar in the cabin that was built in the late 60's.

Well, she tells me her dad never had a toolshed... But he did have a cellar in the cabin that was built in the late 60's.

If you have a ground cabin you don't need a separate toolshed, but if you live at the top of a 50' tower you usually have someplace at ground level too

If you have a ground cabin you don't need a separate toolshed, but if you live at the top of a 50' tower you usually have someplace at ground level too
It might also depend on how far the cabin is from the tower. Sometimes the tower could fall over and crush the cabin, as in BLM, but others are more than a mile away.