7 Habits for Happy Hiking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NIce list, well done may I add something. Be prepared for alternative methods of survival. Once on a 3 day Pemi trip ( 2 Couples) I forgot the stove. When I mentioned this to my friend he was mad as a bee in a bonnet :mad: He even suggested turning around. I convinved everyone it would be ok, we cooked over an open fire the whole trip and everyone agreed it was better then a stove.
With all the high tech gear we use today, we become reliant on man made gear and practices, try cooking without a stove, finding good water without a filter, finding water period, finding things in the woods to eat, it is not only fun, but may save your life someday.

Skyclimber2971w said:
. . . I agree with most things you said, except for Number #4. Biting off more than you can chew, isn't wise nor smart. Setting a more realistic hike that you can complete, then if energy prevails continue on.

I respectfully disagree with the above take on “habit” #4, which hardly is a prescription for recklessness:

“Bight off a litle more than you think you can chew (but not too much!).

“Some may disagree with me here but some of my best memories are from hikes that I wasn't sure about being able to successfully complete. (I had potential bailouts)”​

As a compromise, maybe Rule #4 would be better put as: “Bite off a little more than you think you can comfortably chew (but not too much!).” The word “comfortably” is important. Many of us enjoy challenges -- doing things that are a bit of a stretch, that take us out of our "comfort zone." It’s how we grow and learn what our real capabilities (and limits) are.

G.

Great stuff, and I agree with alot of it (all of it actually) :) . I think Grump's caveat to rule #4 is dead on. You must challenge yourself (to the EDGE of comfort) on occasion in order to grow and become confident and aware as a hiker. I remember when ANY 4Ker was a challenge, and through gentle upward pushes to my level of comfort (none ever approaching danger), I have become (IMO) a much better and skilled hiker.

Because, I recently did this, I might suggest a reverse step for #4 in there, sorta like a RULE # 4.5 if you will :cool:

Particularly for you (errr, us) avowed peakbaggers. Occassionally take a relaxing stroll to a lesser summit, or a non stressed backpack to a pretty spot, to serve as a reminder of just how wonderfull and special the woods can be. Slowing down helps do that for me. Sorta brings everything in focus.

Sometimes, as a peakbagger, I found myself always goal oriented and pushing. It's nice to occasionally take a nice hike up a more modest peak that you feel no obligation to either rush to finish or even complete at all. Same thing with backpacking, I tend to sandwitch the backpack between multi-peak dayhiking. It'll be nice to stroll in, have a nice dinner, perhaps a little vino, and night without the strees of "having to be up by dawn" in order to get to peak X, by 8:15, and then peak Y by 11 AM and so on.

Some may not have any interest in that, but on occasion it can be nice and will add to the appreciation levels sometime rejuvinate the soul. Does for me anyway.

Last edited:
2 important rules for me as I get older are

!. Listen to your body

2. Go at your pace

These 2 rules are the most important part of "hike your own hike". As you get to know the woods better you should also get to know your own body better as well, listen to it's signals as you would to the sounds of the birds and the water. The better you listen to it the less chance you will get dehydrated, etc. It's also good early on to figure out what sort of foods work for YOU when hiking, as everyones dietary needs are different.

I hike solo and with a lot of other people, some who hike faster and some who hike slower. You have to find/feel the pace that's right for you and go with it, otherwise you risk injury. Every body is different, with diverse rhythms, sense of balance, etc. You have to be kind to your horse, otherwise it may give out on you at the worst time if you neglect it or push it too far for too long. I agree you have to challenge yourself - then again you have to be careful not to challenge your self too much and turn a pleasurable hike into an exercise in masochism. ;)

I hike solo most of the time and I really enjoy pushing myself.
It is a challenge for me physically and mentally.
Sometimes mentally I give in faster than my physical ability will bear.

Going harder than you are comfortable; either faster or longer mileage is no different than any other exercise. If you don't push you wont get stronger.
If you continually increase the load on your muscles they will respond in kind.

I don't go over the edge I just push past what is comfortable.
I usually do this only on solos and try and listen to my body, muslces, joints, heart rate, breathing rate etc. more than what my mind is telling me.
I have improved mileage and speed over the past two years with this attitude.
There are always higher mountains and longer trails I desire.
I just want to see if I can get there.
Al

Regarding habit #4.

I routinely push the envelope. But I first dream up the idea of an overly big hike and then I begin my obsessive planning, research, study and training. I have one such hike planned in the Dacks that I have been researching for 2 years. (I keep putting it off because I haven't been able to train hard enough for it yet.)

Usually I have several big "bights" in various stages of research on my computer. Map studies, correspondences with other hikers, threads on the forums, you name it - I use it. Often, several other hikes are part of the preparation for the "big one".

Then when I'm ready, out the door I go. Never 100% sure if I'll succeed. It's an adventure.

To quote Giggy: It's fun and enjoyable.

Cant remember exactly where I heard this advice but just as you hit the trail;

- look down. Are you boots tied??!
- look up. Check the weather. Clouds on the horizon?
- look back. Did you leave you wallet on the hood of your car?

dentonfabrics said:
Cant remember exactly where I heard this advice but just as you hit the trail;

- look down. Are you boots tied??!
- look up. Check the weather. Clouds on the horizon?
- look back. Did you leave you wallet on the hood of your car?
LOL!

You could add: Look inside yourself. Is your head ready?

Excellent !

I'll second the vote for
8. Checking the weather
9. Knowing water sources

and how about for
10. Observe Wilderness Ethics :) tread wisely on the Earth and
be respectful of the flora and fauna who's home we are visiting.

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Excellent !

and how about for
10. Observe Wilderness Ethics :) tread wisely on the Earth and
be respectful of the flora and fauna who's home we are visiting.

I like that one too!

una_dogger said:
Excellent !

I'll second the vote for
8. Checking the weather
9. Knowing water sources
I think 1 & 6 cover those ones. Your #10 would be a good habit for ensuring Happy Hiking for the NEXT hikers.

Neil said:

1. Know your route.

Friendly addition to Number One... consider making a photocopy of the Guidebook page(s) for your hike. I don't know about you, but l like to check the trail description frequently on unfamiliar hikes. No amount of memorization seems to stick for me, at least in terms of the sequence of events, and I used to make myself (more) loony taking my pack off and digging out the WMG every 15 minutes or so (OK, so I am not a patient man). These days, I copy the relevant pages and fold them small, tuck them in a pants-pocket, and I'm happily able to check my progress all day.

Note to the considerable body of my over-40 brethren: this worked a lot better before I needed reading glasses to decipher the descriptions. This summer: experiments with the 'blow-up' feature on our all-in-one printer.

Sage advice Neil. I too fell to the lack of nutritional attention many a time. I now pre make breakfasts in advance (usually 4 at one time so I have a months worth of breakfasts pre made and a freeze what I am not using) and eat right at the trailhead. But I still need to work on my nutrition DURING the hike. I am going to give Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo a try on this weekends trip to see how that works out. I usually find I don't eat lunch either, and thats something I should change.

The other odd thing for me is hydration. I can suck down 3 liters on even moderate hikes and even though I feel pretty well hydrated my urine color seems to indicate otherwise. In the summer I will even dip into my sisters stash of water (that girl is crazy, somehow she can always get away with a liter or two of water and be perfectly hydrated) and still have the same results.

Brian

And anyway. I prefer 7 to 10 because...

7 Habits are much softer than 10 Commandments. :D

I can see it now. "Thou shalt not...." :eek:

#7 can be a hard pill to swallow. You get preached at constantly to not go alone but if you haven't connected with someone at your level/pace then what do you do? I for one am certainly not going to stay home. I have gone with lots of people in the past but am always the slow one and I usually get pulled out of my comfort zone quickly.

Are there any other shorter than average fair weather weekend warrior bushwhackers out there? Not that I have seen yet. So I'll just keep chugging along at my comfort level.

Tortoise Jim