7 Habits for Happy Hiking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Some of you may be familiar with the book, "7 Habits of Highly Effective People". How about this?

“7 Steps to Highly Rewarding Hiking”.

1. Know your route.

Whatever means of navigating you use (software, compass etc.) make sure you have studied and researched your route. Guide books, old trip reports, specific requests for beta from other hikers, tracklogs, whatever information may exist, you may as well profit from it. Then, whether it means writing bearings on a piece of tape on the back of a compass or entering a route into a gps (or both!) or printing a description make sure you do it.

2. Watch your nutritional status.

I never used to worry about this but getting older (49) has made me aware of the benefits.

It starts (at least) the day before and for me means simply loading up on carbs and drinking lots of water. If you haven’t been active for a few days prior to the hike your muscles may already be full of glycogen (rocket fuel) and so the importance of eating is a little less.

On the morning of the hike eat well, in the car on the way to the trailhead nibble and drink.
While on the trail eat and drink often and plenty. I often find myself not wanting to eat even if hungry so I carry all kinds of different stuff and try to vary my food supply from hike to hike.

3. Stay in shape

If your like me and can't hike as often as you'd like to then do something to stay in shape between hikes. There's nothing worse than suffering because your out of shape.

4. Bight off a litle more than you think you can chew (but not too much!).

Some may disagree with me here but some of my best memories are from hikes that I wasn't sure about being able to successfully complete. (I had potential bailouts)

5. Start real early
For the big trips you can't beat a pre-dawn start. You never know when you'll need those hours. Personally, I prefer taking my headlamp off versus putting it on.

6. Never underestimate a mountain
Approach every hike with the same respect.

7. Choose your partners wisely.

The only thing worse than standing around in the cold waiting is to be constantly pushing yourself out of your comfort zone to keep up with the others.

The more ambitious the hike, the more pertinent each "step" becomes. The above order has no importance. I'm sure there are a myriad of other possible suggestions regarding equipment, weather watching, pacing etc.but I found myself either doing these seven things this past winter or regretting not having done them!

Neil:

That's a great summary list of good reminders...I especially liked #5 and #6....I always disliked running into the evening on a hike (then being worried about a last minute hitch that forces an even later completion time) and I always amazed during each hike how hard it can be...

Good work. Don't go too far here without a copyright as it looks like a book deal may be in the offing. :) I'd buy it.

I might add to anyone here in their 20's - you "hit a wall" physically at some point where you can't just run up a mountain on a whim, you need to STAY in shape, year round. To anyone here in their 30's or 40's who has hit that wall, get off the couch ! 30 minutes a day of some alternating exercise will work wonders quickly.

Also to the list I would add: Do an occasional non-critical solo overnight.
I get a little lazy when I know I'm going out with other experienced hikers, like if I run out of fuel, they'll have some, etc. There is nothing like going out alone to confirm you've got what you need, know where it is and how to use it.

Neil -

Great thread...I defineitly missed the boat on my last hike with nutrition...did not keep my energy levels up during the hike and after about four hours I had to turn back...I was spent. You have to think ahead...starting to drink and eat when you are thirsty and hungry is far too late.

Also, I have always been a proponent of the early start. If I see a book time of 8-10 hours for what I want to do I will always be on the trail near sunrise. I am often amazed when I am descending in the mid to late afternoon how many people I see just startig up well after two pm.

Whenever I have run into problems on a hike/trip, it can be traced directly to number 2. Although I bring enough food on my trips, I have a tendency not to eat at the correct time. My last abortion of a trip really brought this point home to me. My Stamina, decision making, and comfort level is all directly connect to my food intake.

Great list Neil! I will piggyback on Pucknuts idea about gear. Test out the stove that has been sitting all winter at home before going out for that first spring trip and trying to start it when you are hungry. Same for other gear. Assemble the tent at home, fully inspect snowshoes/poles/skis etc. especially if they have sat through a season. For choosing partners sometimes it is better to 'test' new partners out on less challenging hikes before inviting them to join you on something where you might "depend" on them.
The tips on nutrition are also right on and what I do is similiar particularly the day before routine.

Perhaps an addition could be:

Plan each trip as if you were doing it solo.
It's easy to think,"Oh, so-and-so has his gps, knows the route,always brings everything or whatever. Or to think somehow that the strength of the others will help you get there. While the collective psychological strength of the group has been a big plus on some trips I've been on the physical strength just aint transferable.

Hey guys,two more ideas and we have the 10 Commandments!

Less is more . . .

Neil said:
Perhaps an addition could be:

Plan each trip as if you were doing it solo.
It's easy to think,"Oh, so-and-so has his gps, knows the route,always brings everything or whatever. Or to think somehow that the strength of the others will help you get there. While the collective psychological strength of the group has been a big plus on some trips I've been on the physical strength just aint transferable.

Hey guys,two more ideas and we have the 10 Commandments!

This (proposed) addition strikes me as just being inherent in:

6. Never underestimate a mountain.
Approach every hike with the same respect.

The original 7 covered the ground very well. No need to complicate things. Simple is best.

(I really liked the more extended discussion of eating in Rule 2, though. Maybe because I like to eat?)

G.

Make the decision prior to a group trip on what happens if someone needs to bail.

Know your water sources and how reliable they are.

Pack the morning of the trip or use a check list. That way you know for certain whether of not you brought a given item.

Assume the weather forecast is correct, but plan accordingly just in case it is not.

Murphy’s Law never takes a holiday.

Last edited:
Pack the morning of the trip our use a check list.

Personally I'm more likely to forget something if I pack that morning especially if it is an early departure. I always do best when I pack the night before. This also gives you more time to remember what you forgot! :confused:

I agree with most of the advice, except that I sometimes intentionally get a late start so I can catch sunset above treeline and then walk back in the dark (with a headlamp and spare).

Madriver said:
Know your water sources and how reliable they are.
Even in summer I used to carry all my water for the whole day (dayhiking). Then I got sick of the weight and bought a filter. Suddenly a new element imposed itself in my trip planning! I always get a little paranoid and pump when ascending a dwindling stream only to say about 10 times,"I should have waited longer". :)
jfb said:
I agree with most of the advice, except that I sometimes intentionally get a late start so I can catch sunset above treeline and then walk back in the dark (with a headlamp and spare).

Absolutely. Some of my best summit times have been around sundown: no crowds and the light is so nice at that time of day. I was especially thinking of those 12 hour plus :eek: hikes in winter.

Excellent list. Your comments on after 40 nutrition are well spoken. My pre hike feed is now as important as the meals on trail. I also encourage pre hiking with partners before a long or strenuous hike - Resentments can spoil good friendships.

Regarding #1, I've made several bloopers in my time, and almost every time it could have been avoided if I had dug a little deeper. I might add "stick to the route." Regarding #2, my problem also is not before, but during the hike. I tend to go for long periods of hiking without eating or drinking much, then "binging" on water. Now almost 59, I'm realizing that more care is needed here. After three hours in a car, I can't rely on what I had for breakfast at home. Regarding #3, my tendancy is to be out of shape in the winter, largely due to the time demands of my job. I used to be able to get into decent shape relatively quickly, but as the years grow, that's becoming more difficult. Regarding #4, The times I wasn't sure I could finish were largely due to poor preparation (eating, packing, sleeping, etc.). As for intentionally doing more than you think you can, too much ambition can lead to trouble. It's getting that balance right that's the trick. Regarding #5, I feel much better physically hiking when I leave early. Number 6 is one I think is too often neglected. I've hiked numerous mountains multiple times, and while the first four might go fine, suddenly the mountain kicks my butt on the fifth. As for #7, that's a tricky one, as I have yet to find very many people who are comfortable hiking at my pace. I've decided to remedy that this summer with a couple of carefully chosen solo hikes (never done it before), and see how I get along with myself! As for packing, the last thing I want to do is pack the morning of a hike. My head is much clearer in the evening, and if I'm missing something or something doesn't work, I can take care of it.

This is an excellent thread. It was well thought out. I agree with most things you said, except for Number #4. Biting off more than you can chew, isn't wise nor smart. Setting a more realistic hike that you can complete, then if energy prevails continue on.

I'm a little confused though on this thread. Are we talking about Winter Climbing or Warm Weather Hiking?

Skyclimber2971w said:
I'm a little confused though on this thread. Are we talking about Winter Climbing or Warm Weather Hiking?

Neither really, it applies all year round. It was, however, this season's (my first adk winter) winter hiking that got me thinking about it. I think applying the "7 habits" is much more critical in winter.