A bit off topic: The Kanc

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk

Reaction score
Excuse me if this type of question should not be posed here - and please remove it if that's the case.

Besides hiking/backpacking, my better half and I are avid road cyclists. We are heading to the Whites to hike on Saturday. While planning, we got the idea to ride the Kanc on Sunday, from Conway to Lincoln.

My question is, does anyone know if the road is generally free of snow and ice? Skinny road tires don't do well on that stuff:eek:

Not specifically the Kanc, but even if the snow and ice is gone, I'd be careful with sand and dirt. Typical mtn roads are sanded heavily in the winters (or salted too, both are bad for bikes), so when the snow and ice do melt, what's left is a lot of sand which can be dangerous on downhill curves, which I'm sure the Kanc probably has. So, though it may be rideable, caution would be advised on the turns...

Jay

Not specifically the Kanc, but even if the snow and ice is gone, I'd be careful with sand and dirt. Typical mtn roads are sanded heavily in the winters (or salted too, both are bad for bikes), so when the snow and ice do melt, what's left is a lot of sand which can be dangerous on downhill curves, which I'm sure the Kanc probably has. So, though it may be rideable, caution would be advised on the turns...

Jay

Thank you for the feedback, Jay. We expect to deal with sand etc....and will descend at the pace of a snail accordingly. We'll also be riding our old bikes.

However, there's no amount of "Slow" that can keep a road tire upright on ice.

My wife, who is clearly smarter than I, just pointed out that we'll be driving over the Kanc on Saturday so we'll get a good idea what to expect;) I just didn't want to haul the bikes if we weren't able to use them. The gaps here in Vermont are all pretty clear and that gives me some hope....

I'd say go for it but watch time of day. Too early a start may cause you to hit the spots where the melting snow crossed the road and froze overnight. More likely on the east end. A mid-morning start from the Lincoln side might work best.

Thanks for the respite from the cabin fever that's been goin' on in a couple of threads.:)

Stan! respecting your anonymity on the board, I'll just say: I think you and your son used to do some volunteer work with an organization where I was the program director. If I'm right, then it's good to reconnect and I hope you're well!

Kevin

Stan! respecting your anonymity on the board, I'll just say: I think you and your son used to do some volunteer work with an organization where I was the program director. If I'm right, then it's good to reconnect and I hope you're well!Kevin

Yeah! Outdoor Explorations. I've been extolling their virtues everywhere I can for people who want to volunteer. Erik and I run our own trips twice a year (winter and fall) for a handful of athletes on the Special Olympics soccer teams I coach. The teams are called the Mighty Hooligans and the Super Hooligans and along our Hiking with the Hooligans weekends are done through the Newton Recreation Department.

West Side Road

Expect frost heaves. These structures seem to blend back into the pavement as season goes on. We used to bike a 100 mile loop from Lincoln to Bartlett first day and from Bartlett to Lincoln the 2nd day. We did it weekend after labor Day. Dugway - West Side Road is really nice ride. It's probably still closed at this point, but probably opening before too long. Of course just because it's gate is closed to cars doesn't mean you can't bike it.

It's looking like it will be pretty wet on Sat, with rain changing to snow at higher elevations (summits). Might want to check the forecast!