A different kind of Catskill "peak" experience..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
In my quest to section paddle the hudson, I needed to paddle the section between Kingston and Catskill park. I wanted to tackle a section from Kingston to Saugerties on such a nice day saturday. I thought about hiking but how can you pass up a beautiful float up a river before memorial day and the boat traffic, on a very nice day that wasn't too hot. The only downside to this was a stiff 25mph gusts out of the north which made for a decent headwind in certain reaches going north from Kingston Point Park. Launched at about 8:45ish with a low tide (9:30amish) passing by some abandoned cement factories and the usual morning fisherman out on the river.

Took forever as usual getting to the Kingston Rhinecliff bridge cause on such blue sky days, you can see forever and it takes forever to get there! Got circled by a juvenile bald eagle too just before the bridge which was fantastic. Unfortunately, no pictures as my camera was still below deck at the time.

Saw the usual river barges, 2 west point blackhawks going north and the usual brick lined shores. There is such a great history in the hudson, which is why I love to paddle it, between so much history and recreation and the whole discovery thing, it is just cool to think that you are paddling one the most influencial means why back when we had 13 colonies and stuff that NY was so influencial to the development of the whole atlantic coast. So much history.

Anyway, encountering some stiff current north of the bridge and Charles Taylor park, I can see Glasco landing in the distance just past a cove and across from Cruger island and the Tivoli bays.. Knowing that I'd like to reach Saugerties and the lighthouse but also knowing that I'd like to explore Tivoli bay and the stiff current and winds I've been paddling for the last 3 miles of the 7-8mileish journey between Kingston and Glasco, I pull out at Glasco and take a break there to eat lunch and relax. Small launch area right in front of the water treatment facility there. Watch another big barge go by, working, among us recreationers....

After lunch, I take off south, this time having a chance to play in the current and the wake of the tides, A much faster return and I make good time getting back to kingston. In order to truly section paddle, I needed to get to the Rondout lighthouse as the last time I kayak camped, we daypaddled to the Rondout and explored the rondout itself. That was on a trip with ex-VFTT member Warren and his GF at the time, Miss Margaret, on one of her first paddle trips and when they both had Feathercrafts.

Anyway, so I explore the lighthouse, take a few shots and mosey back to the beach where people are frolicking and enjoying the warm spring day.

next time I will paddle the 11-12 mile section from Glasco to the town of Catskill where I need to get to "Catskill Point" which is where Warren and I stopped after launching from Coxscakie and camping up there...

pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslugyahoo/KingstonGlasco20100515

Now back to my lawn....

P.S. Got back to my car to find a tiny note on my wiper... Turned out MattC was there saturday to bird and recognized my car.. Hi Matt! Small world, eh?

Jay

Nice report, Jay.
I can see the river from my house...on Saturday it was gray and rough.

When people ask me about paddling on the river, I often say that paddling against the tide isn't really that hard at all. It's the wind that makes things difficult.

Wasn't too bad south of the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge but about 2-3 miles from Glasco, just the winds picked up and I guess where it was blowing from, was making very small whitecaps.. Sure was fun going downriver though, could get a couple of nice surfs in.

I was up in your neck of the woods last year, when Warren and I launched from Coxsackie and camped at Stockton Middle Grounds. We paddled south past Hudson and Athens to the town of Catskill.. Which is where I need to go next.. Maybe I can try to wave towards Hudson when I go.. :)

Jay

Great pictures and report! Would really like to see the river that way also.

You were north of Bannerman's, right? Have you paddled that area yet? I tried getting out there by canoe one time after a hike up Breakneck but was chased away by people on the island.

Yup, Bannermans is just south of the Newburgh-Beacon (aka the Hamilton-Fish) bridge by Breakneck Ridge. Kingston is 2 more exits north!

I've paddled the entire hudson (south of troy) except for points south of the Tappan Zee and north of Coxsackie (and as I mentioned a section between Glasco and Catskill). I hope to do parts north of Coxsackie over memorial day and if the friday is nice to do the 12ish miles between Glasco and Catskill also.

Jay