A Mt. Washington sunrise hike - Nov. 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many times I have stayed up all night to watch the sunrise. This was the first that didn't involve a concert and/or copius amounts of beer :eek: :D ;)
This was a hike I'll remember for a long time. The stars were so close.
Following Jewell trail above treeline was a challenge. I think I did most of the time :confused:. Loved playing in the snowfields. Even the "you slip you die" one on Crawford Path just east of Monroe. The hour we spent awaiting sunrise was awesome. Kinda like this world except better!
Lots of fun hiking with this crowd. Too busy laughing to be tired. MEB I had lots of extra food. Hey Jen when you coming out of the closet?

Great hike! :) I've hiked by moonlight, but never done a sunrise trip! Loved your photo taken through the dirty window - such an interesting shot! :)

GREAT pics! but who WERE those strange people you were with? You really should watch who you hang out with young lady... :p

Hi,

I was on Waumbek that day and as you probably know, there was a serious inversion with temperatures (warmer above than below) that was occuring all day. It was a little strange to be hiking in that kind of weather this time of year, but I welcomed it with opened arms. It would have been nice to be above treeline like you were but all the pics I have seen from the trip helped me pretend like I was there! Besides, a 2am start doesn't sit well with me...I fell asleep at 4amthat night... :eek:

grouseking

grouseking said:
Hi,

I was on Waumbek that day and as you probably know, there was a serious inversion with temperatures (warmer above than below) that was occuring all day. It was a little strange to be hiking in that kind of weather this time of year, but I welcomed it with opened arms. It would have been nice to be above treeline like you were but all the pics I have seen from the trip helped me pretend like I was there! Besides, a 2am start doesn't sit well with me...I fell asleep at 4amthat night... :eek:

grouseking

Interesting - I didn't notice this on washington at all. It wasn't that cold at all really even on top I doubt it ever got below freezing actually. - It was warmer as we went lower (prolly due to sun more than anything) - nice thing about traveling at night is the nice hard snow - crampons just bite right in.

on the way down - we were postholing a little.

giggy said:
Interesting - I didn't notice this on washington at all. It wasn't that cold at all really even on top I doubt it ever got below freezing actually. - It was warmer as we went lower (prolly due to sun more than anything) - nice thing about traveling at night is the nice hard snow - crampons just bite right in.

on the way down - we were postholing a little.

The inversion was in full force during the morning and according to the temperature profile on Mt Washington, it ended around 4500 ft. Temps were in the low 30s at 1600 ft, but it was 54 at 4,000 ft!! The entire atmosphere warmed up thruout the day so levels from 4,000 ft and lower were near or slightly above 60 degrees. It was really a strange thing and the one constant was the slightly warmer temperatures above the valleys. I talked about it a little more in my trip report . The warm breeze we felt at the summit was almost alien.

grouseking

Great hike you all...but you already knew that! I loved seeing the photos...sunrise on washington is certainly something I'd like to try and see someday. just beautiful.

-katie