A New Club, A New Patch, Three New Members - Mt. Moriah 11-2-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
A new club along with a new patch has recently been formed. It's a very exclusive club with less than ten known members at this time. It follows the old AMC 4k club rules with a twist. To join this club, one must be over 70 years old. The requirement is to hike the 48 four thousand footers, over the age of seventy.

As of yesterday, there are three new members: Carl, Martha and Dick. On a ~ten mile hike to Mt. Moriah on a cloudy day, with minimal views (but no rain), Carl's Wednesday (although this hike took place on a Friday due to weather) hiking group summited Mt. Moriah to complete a round of the 48 over the age of 70 for Carl, Martha and Dick. A three-fer finish! On the summit, a small celebration took place. There were all kinds of goodies passed around by the attendees and we proved the summit of Moriah is bigger than one thinks.

Congratulations to the newest members of this club!

Carl, Martha, Dick. No, that is not the patch. That is an enlarged reproduction of the patch. The patch looks like that and is green and white and is smaller, although completing this list certainly deserves a large patch. Well done, all.
P1170270.JPG

Sounds like one for me. Did Tecumseh this summer, so I only have forty-seven left to go!
bogorchis

A hearty congratulations to you. You are an inspiration. Stay strong! :cool:

Dick (the fellow on the right) is the designer of the patch. I learned today that his father is still going strong at 104, so I suggested to him that perhaps a version of the patch be considered for 80 y.o's, 90, etc. Maybe a gold star embroidered on the patch for each 10 year increment...

Awesome. I wanna be like them when I grow up!!

Seriously, hearty congrats to all members of this exclusive club!

Congratulations to them all, I think at that age I'll retire to flaming on the Internet :)

Wonder if "cateyes" did all 46/48 at night or VVS did all 46/48 in winter after 70?

Can't say I like the patch. Maybe I'll change my mind in 13.5 years.

In spite of my dislike for the patch, which, while just for fun and some self-deprecating humor, reinforces the idea that old means decrepit, the idea of a golden age peakbagging recognition system is excellent.

Congratulations to the new members, you look great!

What a fantastic accomplishment! Congratulations are in order for all of you who have completed this task to date. You give us all hope that we too might someday be able to be a member of this elite club!!!! Awesome goal and patch. I think a totally different and new patch is in order of 80 years plus though. No?

I think the patch reflect what I often think at this age. You should not quit even if the day comes when you have to use a walker and hike on easy trails. Anything is possible. We might have to modify our adventures but we certainly can still enjoy them. To me if reflects "tenacity in pursuit!"

Congratulations. Some time back Kevin Rooney mentioned that patch in a post so I got the coordinates and sent in the last list that Lauky and I had done and picked up the patch. No celebration, we were off doing another round. :rolleyes: How about a patch for doing a round over 70 with a torn meniscus.:confused: If this keeps up I'm going to need more than a walker.:D Some day when Lauky has to carry me out I'll know it's time to hang up the boots.:p