A Taste of Acadia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It had been two years since we had been to Maine so we decided it was time to spend a week in Maine. Our plan was to have several hikes in Acadia National Park during our four day stay in Bar Harbor. We love the views from Champlain and along the ridge so we headed out to Route 3 and began our hike on the Beachcroft Trail to Huguenot Head. One advantage of hiking in Acadia is you don’t have to go very far for an outstanding view.

As we neared the summit, we were both startled by a turkey running by. Isn’t it unusual to see a turkey on the summit?

There’s nothing like the views from a summit in Acadia.

After a short break, we headed to The Bowl, one of the prettiest ponds in the area.

We summited Gorham not too long after leaving The Bowl then headed towards Otter Cliffs.
Continuing along the Short Path, we decided to climb up the Beehive, since we hadn’t done that in several years and it is always fun and a bit of a challenging trail.

It wasn’t long before we were skirting The Bowl, took the final climb up Champlain to the summit and back to the car. We took our time as we were in no hurry. Total mileage for the hike was 10.5 miles. It felt great to be back hiking in Acadia!

Here’s the slidehshow:
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/23671439_WgJfBZ#!i=1916139304&k=cxbTGKd

Hope you enjoy,
Donna and Mike

Nice slideshow! We're heading back to Acadia in September, can't wait. We haven't been up Champlain in a few years. I just put it on the list.

Thanks for the preview.

I know I said it elsewhere, but I have to repeat it here - what a great combination of many of our favorite parts of Acadia (including the culinary ones) into a perfect day! It's only been a few weeks since we were there, but seeing this has me wanting to get back again. Awesome pics!

BJC, September will be here before you know it and we'll be reading your reports and looking at your pictures.

MARK, It seems that when we take a trip to Acadia we enjoy ourselves more than the last time. And this is the way it was with this trip. Even though, we only had two opportunities to hike; it was as good as the first time. After we came home, as you said, we're ready to go back. It's a good addicition.:D

Donna:)

Mike and Donna,

Wonderful photos and report. I love the Gorham/Beehive ridge area near Thunder Hole! It's a great place to hike for the day. I think the turkey shot is my favorite though. You don't think of seeing turkey's on the coast line!

Karl