A trip and fall ... broken wrist

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surgery tomorrow

Drove to Brookline (with essentially one hand) this morning and saw orthopedist. Looks like i smooshed the lower end of my radius quite thoroughly, scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning.

Good news is that I should be OK for my trip to Switzerland, leaving July 13.

Life aint so bad after all ;)

Reminiscent of what happened to well-known hiker with peculiar goals, Dinesh Desai.

One of his projects was to hike in the wettest place on earth which turned out to be India if I recall correctly, guess what he found a slippery spot...

The best of healers is good cheer, and you've got plenty of that!
Best wishes, Mohamed, for a speedy and full recovery.

Update

Not 100% healed, but close enough. I seem to be lucky; I recovered uneventfully (and quickly) from back surgery a couple of years ago, and have apparently done the same with my wrist fracture.

The surgical incision has healed beautifully; it may vanish without a trace over time.

I no longer wear the splint most of the time; it is a crutch, if you will, for conditions that may stress the healing bone. I have specifically been allowed to hike with two poles, which will make hiking much more enjoyable.

There is still some limitation of movement, and pain when I bend the wrist (either way) as far as it will go. I have been told that this will subside over the next few months ... not really a big deal.

On 7/19 (six weeks after surgery) I will start strength training ... sounds like a joke flexing and extending the wrist with a whopping 16 ounce dumbbell (does it sound better than a one pounder?).

Not 100% healed, but close enough. I seem to be lucky; I recovered uneventfully (and quickly) from back surgery a couple of years ago, and have apparently done the same with my wrist fracture.

The surgical incision has healed beautifully; it may vanish without a trace over time.

I no longer wear the splint most of the time; it is a crutch, if you will, for conditions that may stress the healing bone. I have specifically been allowed to hike with two poles, which will make hiking much more enjoyable.

There is still some limitation of movement, and pain when I bend the wrist (either way) as far as it will go. I have been told that this will subside over the next few months ... not really a big deal.

On 7/19 (six weeks after surgery) I will start strength training ... sounds like a joke flexing and extending the wrist with a whopping 16 ounce dumbbell (does it sound better than a one pounder?).
FWIW, for my broken wrist (a plate had to be installed):
I initially had a slightly reduced range-of-motion, weakness, and occasional skin pain at the incision. I was able to use crutches immediately upon being given the go-ahead for unlimited use (at 11 weeks). With the PT, stretches, and exercises it appears to have healed completely and I am completely unaware of it now (4 yrs later). The occasional skin pain continued longer than any disability, but all I had to do was rub the incision to make it go away. The incision itself is still visible, but it is parallel to a wrist tendon and you are unlikely to notice it unless I point it out.

Hope you do as well.

Doug