adirondacks for newbie...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Hey gang...so I've never been to the adirondaks...I think maybe I drove through a portion last summer...and I've seen them across lake champlaingn from burlington...but never hiked there...due to a trip I'm hoping to make to saratoga springs in mid-june...I was thinking of extending my trip and getting up into the dacks while I'm out there...I'm looking at an overnight...perhaps 2 night backpack...and I'd like to hit some real choice spots that aren't too crowded (from what I've read here, I'd like to stay away from Flowed lands??)...essentially I'm looking for advice...or any links to any related threads...I'd like to bag a 46er or two...but I no nothing of how the dacks compare to the whites (which I'm quite familiar with)...any thoughts on how the bugs, or more specifically the black flies will be in mid-june?? any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Black flies are brutal in mid June! You might want to check out Dial and Nippletop from St Huberts and park at the Ausable Club. There are going to be people but not like Marcy Dam, Lake Colden or the Flowed Lands.

Happy Trails,
ADAM

New York hike

I've only hiked up Mt. Washington in NH, so I would say that the main difference between the Whites and the Adirondacks is that we don't have any extended hiking above tree line here. Lots of forested summits. Otherwise, it seemed very similar.

If you hike weekdays, you won't see any crowds. The bugs vary quite a bit throughout the area. I spent 3 nights in the heart of the mountains one June, and didn't see any bugs at all. But it is definitely the season for bugs. If you pack in and camp overnight, carry a bear cannister with all your food inside. It's the best way to protect your food from bears, pine martens, and other critters, and the use of canisters might be required soon anyway.

A great dayhike is to walk up the Lake Road from St. Huberts (Keene Valley) and hike over Sawteeth and Gothics. You can descend from the Gothics/Armstrong col. Another great dayhike is to start from Heart Lake/ADK Loj (Lake Placid area) to Lake Arnold, up Mt. Colden, down to Lake Colden, and return via spectacular Avalanche Lake and Avalanche Pass, past Marcy Dam and back to your car.

If you want to spend a night or two camping, try starting at "the Garden" (Keene Valley area) and hiking up Johns Brook to the Bushnell Falls or Slant Rock lean-tos. Using that as a base, continue on to Mt. Haystack and Mt. Marcy (#3 and #1 in elevation in the state).

A good place to get specific information on trailheads and mountain trails is www.adirondackjourney.com
-Be prepared, and have fun. -ALG

Oh yeah, get a map and guide book. I prefer Barbara McMartin's High Peaks guide and the matching tyvek map (sold separately).

Last edited:
Consider hiking into Dix from Rt. 73 - nice camping along the Bouquet River and generally not too crowded. Black flies might be bad in mid-June tho...

My vote is for Wright and Algonquin from the Loj. Maybe 8 hrs. ( more or less) round trip. Great views from both. Could even climb down the backside of Algonquin and return by Avalanche Pass.

The black flies are unpredictable. I've been there in mid-June with none and hiked in mid-July with many. Eventually, you get (sort of) used to them. The only nice thing about black flies is that they go to sleep at night. Then, of course, you have the skeeter.

Have fun.

Giant and Rocky Ridge Peak

From route 73 trailhead, hike the .3 miles to the base of Roaring Brook Falls. There are a few campsites there, all tent sites, no lean-to's. Since you are so close to the car you can carry a heavier pack with lots of food and creature comforts. Use that as a base camp, and do Giant and Rocky Ridge Peak one day, then the next day you can go across the street and hike one of many from the trailhead there or Ausable Club. On that side of the road you can access Round Mt., Noonmark(a favorite) or if you are more adventurous, from Ausable Club do Dial and Nippletop. And even others. In 2 days you have access to several great Mt.s, none more than a day trip, and camping at the base of the falls, and next to the stream is fantastic. And i have never been overcrowded there. The parking lot fills up fast with day hikers, but not many campers. You must cross the stream to get to the campsite, but it is pretty easy. Lots of good rocks and it isn't very wide. It is a great 1st Adk trip. It was mine.

RVT

Last edited:
I've done extensive hiking in the Whites and Adirondacks.
Main differences from my point of view:
1. Soil composition is different. Much more black mud in the ADKs than Whites and ADK trails in GENERAL are wetter underfoot and with more tree roots.
2. Approachs are different. With the exception of Isolation, Owl, and Bondcliff, many of the ADK trips have longer approaches than the Whites. Many of the ADK peaks are surrounded with less civilization than the Whites.
3. While the Whites have long above treeline travel on the Franconias and Prezzies, don't underestimate some of the treeline travel in the ADKs. Marcy, Gothics, Algonquin-Iroquois ridge, Haystack, Skylight and others are above treeline. Fog and snow are the same everywhere. Poor visibility above the treeline on some ADK summits can get you into problems anywhere. There are lots of places in the ADKs where a poorly-planned exit off the summit in zero visibility can land you in some wild country.
4. There are a number of unmarked trails to what used to be trailless peaks. A false herd path can lead you astray.
5. I'm not saying this as a complaint, but the trails in the Whites are generally better marked than in the ADKs. This isn't universally true, but generally so. Trails around the Ausable Club near Keene Valley are marked by the ATIS. This great volunteer organization does a nice job, but their markers are more fewer and more subtle. Much more difficult to find in winter.
Welcome to the ADKs and have fun.

Last edited:
First Adirondack Trip

You've gotten alot of good advise already. I've done alot of backpacking (summer and winter) up there and it is truely hard to get away from A)black flies B)others hikers.
The black flies are truely fierce, the mud is deep and black as oil and the campers are lined up for the choicest lean-to and camping spots. So are the bears. You can't avoid the first two, but try these out to avoid the last;

The Sewards. Bag 4 highpeaks- approach trail is a cake walk to set up a two night camp in the vincinity of the blueberry lean-to.

Day one-arrive early- hike late. Walk in and set up your camp and bag Seward.
Day two-bag Seymour, Emmons and Donaldson.
Day three- sleep late, back up and hike out.

Grey to Marcy to skylight. Camp near up hill lean-to and from lake tear bushwhack to Grey. From there follow the land bridge to Marcy. This is a wonderful and beautiful traverse. Drop down to 4 corners and then grab Skylight.

The Santanoni's from Bradely Pond.

These are some of my favorites. Enjoy.

Sewards would be a great hike too. I would recommend Ward Brook lean-to, which puts you right between the herd paths for Seymour and the Sewards. Seymour is (approx.) a total of three hours up and down. The Sewards from there could take 10 -12 hours if you go at a leisurely pace. It's up over Seward to Donaldson to Emmons, then back over Donaldson and Seward to camp. If you go, watch your water supply. It's very uncertain that you'll find much water to pump once you get past 1/2 way up Seward.

The five mile hike in is, as noted, an easy hike with a full pack (about 2 hours). Watch out for the killer grouse I met last June hiking in to do Seymour as a day trip. Thing came charging straight down the trail at me making all sort of a ruckus, veering off at the last minute. Obviously an attempt to steer me away from her young.

I probably out weigh her by about 175 pounds, but there was no way I was taking on that ball of fire.

It is a nice, secluded part of the Adirondacks. Enjoy.

Five Ponds Wilderness

Hit the Five Ponds Wilderness on an autumn weekend. The hiking is very moderate, so you can cover a lot of ground in a few days. There are dozens of remote lakes, a few low summits, lots of boreal wetland, and almost no other people. Drop me a PM if you want details.

Welcome to the Adirondacks. It is a wonderful place, and there is more to do than you can possibly squeeze into one lifetime.

Newbie in the 'Dacks

Too True Peakbagr. I realized my mistake later.

As for any of the trips to the trailless peaks- there are herdpaths, but make sure you bring a good map (topo) and a compass. For example - the Santanoni trip I recommended, when you get to the area called Times Sqaure (not marked on maps, but called that locally because it is the nexus of trails to go to Santanoni, or Panther or Couchshragra), there are several herdpaths radiating out and a compass is useful here to take that herdpath which goes off in the direction you'd like. Panther remains one of my most freguently visited High Peaks because I did not do this.

Barbara MacMartin (sp?) has an excellent book on the High Peaks and how to find the herdpaths that go up to the trailles peaks. I recommend her books to you.

Cheers and Happy Trails
:cool: