Adirondacks Gathering 8-9-08 - Pictures and stories

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
I HATE it when groups don't get their SMS package set up correctly and you have to reverse everything - UGGGGHHHH. :confused:
It's much more painful then it sounds. Lots of chafing and all that vacuuming after.

Anyways, here's some fire related video.

For those not there. The video shows only the top 4' to 5' of the flames. The rest were hidden by 2' to 3' stone firepit walls. We built the bonfire anothe couple of feet higher than where Dave's video leaves off.

I understand it set off satellite monitoring system warnings at Cheyenne Mt. The ones that detect plumes of ICBMs as they are launched.

MichaelJ said:
Wow, we need that kind of fire action at the next *winter* Gathering!

Yeah, I might even show up then! :D (Not a fan of cold tenting>)

DougPaul said:
I don't know about you guys, but I prefer to hike and ski on the snow rather than melt it...

This is for afterward, Doug, in the evening ... when the fire is what keeps the beer from freezing solid!
:)

So this is the deal. This little get together will be the 2nd weekend in August every year. That way everyone can put it on the calandera whole year ahead of time. Hell, I think they are even selling 2009 calanders as we speak-no excuses next year.

Even when it rained it was warm enough to walk around in the puddles and mud and drink beer. :eek:

Again thanks everyone for another great year-I look forward to this every year. Maybe next year we can work on getting a tent for the VFTT band.

peak_bgr said:
So this is the deal. This little get together will be the 2nd weekend in August every year. That way everyone can put it on the calandera whole year ahead of time. Hell, I think they are even selling 2009 calanders as we speak-no excuses next year. Again thanks everyone for another great year-I look forward to this every year. Maybe next year we can work on getting a tent for the VFTT band.
Yeah, the band sucked this year! :eek: (There was 0 music that I heard, so this is not a slam). As for the date, I'd like it to coincide with the Perseid meteor shower every year! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Yeah, the band sucked this year! :eek: (There was 0 music that I heard, so this is not a slam). As for the date, I'd like it to coincide with the Perseid meteor shower every year! :D

Yeh! Come on guys.... Tom needs entertaining. :D
2517890400064524769S500x500Q85.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitchoff

Hey - I've been waiting for a TR from the Pitchoff group -- I didn't take any pictures... share them people!! And, who's camera has the group pix of the Pitchoff hike? Come on you EMSer's!!

[Speaking of pictures - Audrey - you have my new Avatar?? ]

My statement about Pitchoff, the hike: WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME THIS WAS SO GREAT?!?

TR: What an excellent hike. I have known that it was a wonderful contender for a through hike - with a spotted car. Totally awesome views starting as soon as you crest out on the ridge (after a rather aerobic hike up... starting right NOW! at the road). Spence and Brian were our leaders and Spence promised some fun surprises on the tour. EMSer's Greg and Andie (sp?), brother Graham, bignslow, Nicole (mrs bignslow) and I were those ready for an exhilerating hike. We got just what we were looking for! :D Pitchoff follows a ridge opposite Cascade/Porter. The trail weaves back and forth from side to side, offering splendid views in every direction. When the hike is complete, you have virtually had a 360-degree view of the High Peaks, Sentinel and western peak ranges.

Best of all along the ridge, you find some excellent huge boulders to climb on, get under and lunch near. Spence showed us some caves and narrow rock creavases to play around with. Good fun with this. We also left the trail in a few places to give the hike a bit more "exposure" to the plentiful rock surfaces and dramatic cliffs next to us... nice added adrenaline boost!

Coming down the other side was a fun and not-to-punishing rock hop all the way out. When hiking, we maintained a nice, brisk pace for the entire hike. Best part was that we had plenty of time to admire the views, play around with all the special formations and gather rasp and blue-berries that were plentiful as well!!

It all added up to a super mountain outing... another ADK HH for me and lots of great people out doing our thing on a spectacular, alibiet unexpected, clear and sunny day. :D