ADK peak-bagging weekend: 3 bugs, 9 summits and 1 sore foot (7/4 - 7/6)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great report 7. I have a picture of me on the summit of Colvin the day before you were there with mud on my face! Topofgothics never even hinted that it was there. But it was everywhere else on me so I don't know why I was surprised! It was very fun to run into you at the Hostel! And then Jay at the Noonmark. Looking forward to bagging a few peaks with you this weekend.

Maria said:
Great shots and trip HuiYeng - congrats. Btw, I hike with Jay a lot too and he's always waiting for me at the top when we hit a tough hill, so I know that feeling! Our nickname for him is Mountain Goat :)
Maria

I just figured out a long time ago that he's not human. He doesn't even sweat or breath hard as he breezes past and above the rest of us. Try riding with him some time. He can casually discuss the finer points of gear rings, chains, etc. while you're dying on the way up a steep hill. It's awesome.

I'm pretty sure he's a member of an alien species that can perform numerous athletic feats if only given ice cream at strategic times.

Matt

Niiiiiiiiiiiice weekend!

Love Macoomb Slide -- so much fun --- even better I liked the squirrelly path in the spruce straight up from the top of the slide. The Dixes are just beautiful --glad you had such great weather to enjoy all of your hikes this weekend.

:)

Great report and photos; and quite a bit of serious hiking to boot. You are a full fledged Adirondack connoisseur now that you swallowed a few bugs and sampled the muck soup.

7summits said:
The hike from the parking lot to the entrance of the herb path was an easy walk. The entrance of the herb path to the Macomb slide ...
I like this "herb path" term for the herd paths. (not poking fun either). Being narrow paths there is often herbaceous growth at hand and foot. The herbal fragrances sometimes rival the organic mud and boreal aromas. And perhaps most importantly this could be considered an honorary term in remembrance of Herb Clark, 46er #1. He is often overlooked in comparison to the George and Bob Marshall, #2 and #3. Aside from being the Marshall's friend and companion, he was also their guide. In a similar manner the herd paths now guide the way for aspiring 46ers who follow in his (and the Marshall brothers) legacy. Herb paths they are.

7summits said:
Looking back at Colvin and Blake and behind them raise the Great Range, endless wave of mountains and shades of green woods, I confessed to Jay that I truly think ADK is more beautiful than the Whites. So beautiful that I wish I live closer.
We won't repeat that too loud to avoid getting you in trouble with your White Mt friends. Both ranges have their own beauty, but perhaps the Adirondacks exhibit a more rugged and wild beauty IMHO. I also wish I lived closer to both the Adirondacks and Whites.

!Great Job HuiYeng & Jay!

The Dixes are just an amazing place to hike. It's an all in one experience kind of place: The spectacular views over the high peaks; the slides (Macomb, Dix & two on East Dix); the water flowing everywhere in the area: Elk Lake, the many lovely brooks (Slide Brk, Lindsay Brk, Lillian Brk, Lindsay Brk, Lilypad Pond, Bouquet River, just to name the more knowned.

With it's many different access to hike in the Dixes: from Marcy Trail, or along the North Fork Bouquet River, from Elk Lake on marked trails & herd path & bushwacking can be a lot of fun in the Dixes.

Your pics are so nice & really captured the Dixie special feeling!

Great job HuiYeng & Jay

Hey thanks everyone for reading. Yeah Kim, I was concerned about the unmarked trail but as it turned out, they're very well maintained. But I won't take it as granted and will continue to research before venturing out.

Darlene, Gillian, goo, moo and whoever on my mailing list, I really hope to organize a trip for all of us to spend a weekend there. (yea you too Dani!) Whoever can get giggy out here wins a free case of beer. Wait... I think a free case of beer would get giggy out here :p.

MattC, you gonna hike Hurricane, wonderful little peak with GREAT views!

Alright Terri! I'll see you in few days! Always a pleasure hiking with you!!

Don't you worry Mark, I think my White Mountain friends are tough enough to respect my humble opinion :cool:. I agree with you that with the slides and scars decorated the mountains, the ADK does appear more rugged and wildly beautiful. The place in the Whites that I love most is the Bonds ridge, soar in the middle of the Pemigewasett Wilderness, that's the only place where I got the sense of being in the wild, great sense of solitude. And I'm lucky enough to live only 2.5 hours away for that! Don't get me wrong, i think ADK is beautiful, but Pemi will always have my heart! :eek: :)

Mimi, I'll likely to see you and Jay in 2 weeks!

And I forgot to mention that I swallowed another bug on the way down Nippletop. Yum!

Thanks all, I'll add annotations to my pictures soon. Thanks again Jay!

Last edited:
Fred, I think we saw Gail's big dome tent on the way out, didn't see anybody outside but Mimi told me that you guys signed out shortle after HuiYeng and I. I would of recognized your tent but not Gail's and HuiYeng drove and not me so you might of recognized my car.... Too bad, we didn't know each other was there... would of been fun. Anyway, I will hopefully see you at Bearly Live..

And the bugs along that trail when we walked out were really bad. The first thing I got to after getting off the Beckhorn trail was dunk my head in Lillian brook, get all the salt and sweat off which seems to attact the bugs. (see, I do sweat :D!)

Jay

Hey, great stuff! It's ok, you can admit it openly and freely.. the ADKs are more beautiful than the Whites. ;)

Kick ass report and hiking!!

...and yeah, I'll chime in that the ADKs do tend to steal your heart away more than the Whites... must be the trails (the toughest and slowest in the Northeast, IMO) and that isolated wilderness feeling.

But ADK hikers smell worse, have bigger beards, are more eccentric (to say it nicely :D)... but probably know how to use a map/compass. Whites hikers are more hardcore, love pounding rocks, dig the lack of trees above treeline, high winds, and drink more beer. Hard choice... but good thing that there is one.

Whenever I hike in the Presies I experience auditory hallucinations.

I keep hearing train whistles.

Hiking above tree line is what make the Whites the Whites. It's easy to hike above tree line in Manitoba, Canada but the views are more limited.