Advice on Maine hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwind

Reaction score
Looking for an overnight destination that's not TOO far from Portland for this weekend. Just returned from a few night in the presi's and we were thinking of something a little less grueling for this weekend. I've got a few overnight desitnation in mind but I'm having a tough time finding whether or not places are dog friendly. My pooch is just over a year so i'm kinda new to this. Pet policies are all over the map it's hard to keep straight. I know the Mahoosucs are dog friendly and Baxter is a simple no go but but it get's difficult in between. Any help?
:confused:

You might want to consider holding off for a couple more weeks... only because Maine still has tons of snow. Grueling does not even begin to describe my trip up over Baldpate this weekend. There was still a good three feet of snow on the north side of the mountain, the traveling was very difficult in the soft snow (even with snowshoes) and the trail was really hard to follow.

I'm not trying to discourage you... just wanted to forewarn you that conditions aren't that great in Maine right now. I wish someone had forewarned me! :eek:

- Ivy

How about Evan's Notch?

The Caribou-Speckled Wilderness might fit your needs. It's only about 1.5 hours out of Portland to the Great Brook Trailhead. I expect the area would have less snow than the higher elevations, but I couldn't say for sure. The trail up over Red Rock Mountain to Speckled Mountain is a nice one, with some good views.

I don't know about any rules for dogs, though.

cushetunk said:
The Caribou-Speckled Wilderness might fit your needs. It's only about 1.5 hours out of Portland to the Great Brook Trailhead. I expect the area would have less snow than the higher elevations, but I couldn't say for sure. The trail up over Red Rock Mountain to Speckled Mountain is a nice one, with some good views.

I don't know about any rules for dogs, though.

Dogs would be fine there. If you enter from the West Bethel side expect about 1.5 mile of road walk to get to the Miles Notch/Haystack Notch trailhead. It is a tricky enough drive through in summer when it's dry.
-vegematic

vegematic said:
Dogs would be fine there. If you enter from the West Bethel side expect about 1.5 mile of road walk to get to the Miles Notch/Haystack Notch trailhead. It is a tricky enough drive through in summer when it's dry.
-vegematic

May puch back a weekend due to rain... but that sounds great, thanks. P.S. I lived in Bethel for 4 years...

How far is Acadia NP from you (Mt. Desert Island)? Those trails are generally mellow and many have probably melted off as they are out in the open sun, they're OK on dogs, and the crowds won't have clogged the island yet. Here's the April status. I can suggest specific trails if you want more info.

Last edited:
There isn't much snow in Acadia now. I know, I was there to propose to my fiancee two weekends ago...

Though I didn't hike up it this time, I saw some patches up high on Cadillac and Sargent, but the park is largely brown now.

spencer

spencer said:
There isn't much snow in Acadia now. I know, I was there to propose to my fiancee two weekends ago...
Yeah, I want to congratulate you both! Where? Cadillac? Jordan Pond in rowboat? Dinner at an Inn?

But, did you say that she said . . . yes?

Well I don't want to hijack the thread, but maybe I will just a bit... :D

I was going to write a trip report, but it doesn't really warrant one.

Another VFTT member was actually involved (sort of):

I told Joanna we were meeting El-bagr and Mrs. El-bagr on the Cadillac summit at 5:30 for a tailgate picnic (which Joanna and I have done a couple of times before).

So I got her down to the island without suspecting anything and with a couple of hours to spare before meeting up with El-bagr. I suggested we hang out at Wonderland (a favorite spot of ours on the ocean). Next thing she knew, I was on my knee and she was my fiancee...

and no, El-bagr and Mrs. El-bagr weren't really coming to meet us.

I had been planning to do it on the Big K (another place we spend a lot of time) but I just couldn't wait until May 15th for BSP's approval...

We then spent the evening drinking wine, eating and enjoying the Kingsleigh Inn in Southwest (which I would highly recommend).

The wedding will not have a number associated with it ;)
spencer

Last edited:
Spencer,
See, I can keep a secret ;) Congrats to you both! Drop me a line next time you're in Wakefield.

jwind: look into the Evans Notch and Wild River area. A short jaunt up Rt26, so quite bearable, and there is much easier terrain.

Speaking of Maine hikes... I just signed up for my 4th BSP trip for 2005. That will make 18 nights, 22 days in BSP for 2005! Yes!