Am I crazy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davehiker

Reaction score
Central Mass. Avatar: Home, from Google Earth
I've started snowshoing for the first time this winter. I've been going on short trips up to 3 hours around my house in Central Mass, with a trip up Mt. Wachusett. I'm an intermediate hiker in the Whites, and have hiked about half of the 4k's in summer/fall, including the presi's. I usually hike solo, and sometimes with my teenager or another friend. I'm pretty comfortable solo. I've read Steve Smith's Snowshoe hikes in the White Mountains.

My question is: Am I ready to do a half-day solo in the White's? I'm considering Mt. Pemi or Mt. Willard. Are these OK for a novice, or should I try something flatter like Greely Ponds, Lonesome Lake, or the Lincoln Woods trail? Is it OK to consider snowshoing solo, or should I try harder to find a partner?

I anticipate using a lot of caution, and seeking only good weather. I'm not afraid to turn back, and have several times before. I don't have crampons, and don't want to go where I'll need them.

Dave

If you're planning on going on a weekend, I think you'll be fine solo snowshoeing Mt. Willard, Greeley Ponds or Lonesome Lake (I haven't done the others you've mentioned...) They are very well traveled so in the event you ran into real trouble you won't really be alone for too long.

For what it's worth, Mt. Willard was one of my very first snowshoe hikes... and I absolutely loved it. It's not that difficult -- yes, a little steep but it's a short trip so there's no need to rush -- and you get fantastic views out of it. I've also brought a couple of my friends up it for their first times snowshoeing and it's always gone over really well... (well except that time it was -15 at the trailhead. :) )

You could also try posting in trips & events here... I've had very good luck finding partners for winter hikes that way.

- Ivy

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a logical approach & the goals are not crazy, you should be fine, I've not been on Mt. Pemi yet & from what I recall reading in the WMG, getting to close to the edge may be very hazardous but Willard, Greeley, LM both would be fine. Mt. Martha should be fine too.

no your not crazy.do it! just keep your wits about you read the compus even on trail .When you hike alone something should be happening.you should be listening to your body. Day trip or weekend you will be fine!

Your approach to it is fine. Willard is very easy, and as ivy said, if you do it on a weekend you will share the trail with a ton of people so it really isn't like going solo. You should be fine. Its only like 45 minutes to the "top" so it is probably the best band for the buck hikein the whites and it is a great short hike in winter.

I've done Mt. pemi several times in winter and it is also a great short winter hike. I have never seen anyone else on that hike, so you would most likely actually be solo. It is very easy, but if you are apprehensive at all, then do willard first.

The "wilderness trail" (lincoln woods) is just a flat walk in the woods with a bunch of other people. I would do willard or pemi before that. It's just an approach to "real" hikes. :p

- darren

Mt Jackson

My first solo snowshoe hike was up Mt Jackson right off Rt-302 in Crawford notch. A fairly short approach, very forgiving trail and you'll see quite a few people. Great views at the top too! The trailhead is right near the shores of Saco Lake and a parking area is plowed out usually.

Davehiker said:
My question is: Am I ready to do a half-day solo in the White's?

If you do, you are probably taking a bigger risk than may be apparent. (Any accident reports will begin with "inexperienced hiker...") There are many things which are far more critical in winter than in summer. One can certainly read about a number aspects of clothing, gear, and technique. But some things can only be learned by experience. Until you get a reasonable amount of experience, it is desirable to have a competent partner or leader.

The AMC publishes 'Winter Camping" by Gorman, which you might find helpful. My 30+yr old copy covers winter hiking as well as camping. (Hope it has been updated...)

My college outing club taught a several week winter school with weekend labs (trips :) ) and organized winter trips. (On my first winter overnighter we rescued another party preventing a possible hypothermia death and had a fine (and safe) time ourselves. And summited Adams.) The AMC also teaches a winter school (over for this year) and organizes trips. There are several guide services based in N. Conway that teach and lead trips.

This BBS has many members ranging from beginners to very experienced.

Certainly, as Poison Ivy suggests, you can start on popular short hikes at times when there are likely to be people around. However, the people you meet on the trail may or may not be helpful. And may know even less than you. (When I presided at an accident scene (twisted knee, ligament damage) on a popular trail my biggest problem was crowd control...)

You seem to have a cautious attitude and will probably be ok, but I suggest you get some competent instruction, particularly if you go solo. (Most soloists wait until they have a good bit of experience--some never solo.)

Enjoy and be safe,

Doug

Last edited:
I'd be at least, if not more, more concerned about the weather than the mt. Of course Willard is an easy one. Just be careful out on the ledge and also on the descent. Probably your biggest danger on that particular trail (a fine choice) would be, in late season, the possibility of post-holing on the descent. Not so bad going up, but can lead to a bad "shish-ka-bob" type accident on the the descent. So, even tho you might be able to bareboot up, probably a good idea to wear traction snowshoes on descent. Pick a good day and have fun! :)

Last edited:
I second Gris; the weather is as important as picking a reasonable hike. Years ago, in February, my wife and I came close to being struck by lightning on Mt. Willard. When we started hiking we remarked about the mild temps and southerly wind. Just as we got to the top the clouds thickened and it got a bit dark. We heard a distant rumble of thunder, then only a minute later we heard a closer, louder rumble. Then it started raining very hard. We pulled out our shells, then BANG/FLASH! For that moment the air around us was pink and we felt a tingle in our mouths, like the tingle you feel if you put your tounge on a battery. Very scary. Crazy weather happens in Crawford Notch, just be aware.
I like your humble attitude and willingness to turn around. A hike is a hike, regardless if you "summit".

I'd say go for it...but I suppose with a name like mine that would be no surprise.

Sounds like you're taking about as many precautions as possible. One exception is your reluctance to take crampons. I consider them a safety item not just for more "extreme" hikes. Snowshoes with a good crampon can do a lot, especially on the way up. But you could come to a few spots on any trail where there's a fair amount of hard ice that you wouldn't be comfortable with in the snowshoes. Choices would be to try to bushwack around through the woods if possible, or, turn around. Just having a pair of all purpose carmpons to throw in your pack could give you that extra bit of safety and comfort level if necessary. Using crampons on some steep sections of icy trails in the woods is different than climbing up headwalls of ravines or on steep icy snowfields above treeline.

One other suggestion that you didn't mention in terms of your experience, would be to get out to Bear Mt., Sages Ravine, Mt. Race, and Mt. Everett in MA and CT after some good snow (not now). If you work at it and loop around you can actually hike as much elevation and distance as some of the easier hikes in thie Whites that you mentioned. Depending on conditions, there are even some steep icy sections on some of the trails that you could experiment with.

Davehiker,

A follow on to Lovetohike's comments:
(agree with his comments about boot crampons, snowshoes should also have crampons)

You have indicated a willingness to turn around. (That is good--the mountain will be there tomorrow. Many view success not as reaching the summit, but as returning safely--summit or no summit.)

It is often harder to go down than it is to go up. As you go up, think about how hard it will be to go back down the section ahead. If you think that you will have difficulty going back down, turn around before you go up it. Much easier and safer...

Doug

(With apologies to Jeff Foxworthy):

You might be crazy if you want to move at your own pace.

You might be crazy if you enjoy the quiet solitude that only soloing can provide.

You might be crazy if you rely on that inner voice to tell you that you're up to it.

You might be crazy if you rely on that same inner voice to tell you when to turn around.

And no, I haven't found the cure yet. Welcome to the cuckoo's nest.

Davehiker said:
Is it OK to consider snowshoing solo, or should I try harder to find a partner?
The question of whether the novice should go ahead and hike solo in winter always brings out this very wide range of responses.

Merely by asking the question, you demonstrate some awareness of the inherent risk involved as well as a less than confortable state about jumping to the 'just do it' crowd.

Fortunately, thanks to VFTT, no one has to hike alone in winter for lack of being able to find a partner. Suggest a trip or two here, and you will find no shortage of volunteers to share the trail with you. Some may be no more experienced than you, but it's pretty easy to figure that out.

I'm hooked!

Thanks for all of your kind words of caution, advice, and encouragement.

I chose today to hike Mt. Pemigewasset. I couldn't have made a luckier choice. It was a beautiful day! I met two others soloing bare boot, and one other party of six wearing snowshoes. I preferred to wear my snowshoes for uphill traction, and found the downhill going MUCH faster with them. I had the summit ledges to myself, and had a great lunch there. Alas, the trip was done too soon, at 2 1/2 hours!

I plan to continue to increase my trip length gradually, seek more winter instruction, and possibly seek partners for some later trips. If the weather's always this good, I'm all set!

Dave

Glad you had a great day! You thought it out, got some info, planned it, hopefully were well prepared and everything worked out well. That's very satisfying to you I'm sure. So onward and upward!

Another good snowshoe hike to accompany Mt. Pemigewasset is in The Flume. Watch yourself near that covered bridge ... it was icy when I hiked it and I had visions of sliding down under the railing and into the river below.

If you're thinking of Willard as the next trial consider Avalaon or Crawford instead. Both are a bit more challenging and offer equally rewarding views.

Thanks for the picture Dave. Mt. Pemi is one of those places I'm looking at getting to on my way up to stay overnight or up North for more than one day as driving from CT ^ back is too much for a good view from below 3000 feet.

I know to head up there on a good day now, thanks again

Davehiker said:
Thanks for all of your kind words of caution, advice, and encouragement.

I chose today to hike Mt. Pemigewasset. I couldn't have made a luckier choice. It was a beautiful day! I met two others soloing bare boot, and one other party of six wearing snowshoes. I preferred to wear my snowshoes for uphill traction, and found the downhill going MUCH faster with them. I had the summit ledges to myself, and had a great lunch there. Alas, the trip was done too soon, at 2 1/2 hours!

I plan to continue to increase my trip length gradually, seek more winter instruction, and possibly seek partners for some later trips. If the weather's always this good, I'm all set!

Dave
Lucky you! Check out pictures of Mt. Pemigewasset from last Friday. So, views aren't always like you had but everytime you hike, I think the mountains have something to offer.

If you liked Steve Smith's book, you can easily talk to the man -- he's got a wealth of knowledge of the area's peaks, 4K's, 3K's, 2K's -- he owns the Mountain Wanderer Map Shop in Lincoln.

Hope to see you on the trails!

Regards,

Dr. Wu