Another rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? :confused::(:mad:. Why do they do things like this? It seems to be more than ignorance, it borders on total lack of common sense.

Why do they do things like this? It seems to be more than ignorance, it borders on total lack of common sense.

I was talking to someone about this last night. They said the same exact thing...except they were referring to the constant "reporting", critiquing and speculating that we do here, every time [insert local news source here] publishes an article about a "lost hiker".

I told her she was crazy, and that us hardcore interweb hiker types have earned the right to speculate and denigrate as we choose.

Jason

I was talking to someone about this last night. They said the same exact thing...except they were referring to the constant "reporting", critiquing and speculating that we do here, every time [insert local news source here] publishes an article about a "lost hiker".

I told her she was crazy, and that us hardcore interweb hiker types have earned the right to speculate and denigrate as we choose.

Jason

Hahaha. I usually don't comment on things like this, just because they're so frequent and often it's not that bad. I've been in some tough situations myself, too, so I know what it's like to be on the other side. I was just annoyed by this one, because it's so incredible to me. a bunch of 20-21 year olds with no backpacks hiking in the Northeastern United states in mi-May. What?!? I can just picture it.

Your friend does have a point, though. But then again...maybe you do too! lol

Jason

Some media outlets in NH are a funny lot -and thinking mainly of WMUR and the Union Leader newspaper - have pet axes to grind. They also seem to find obscure stories which demonstate that somehow NH is a better place to live than VT. My mother-in-law (who lived in NH before she passed away) would frequently ask me about the stories, but they were so obscure and inconsequential that unless you watched WMUR or read that paper, no other media outlet considered them relevant.

It's also possible that someone who works for NH F&G has a relative who works for WMUR, or vice versa.

Last edited:
I'm glad they're out safely, too. "Why do they do this?" An awful lot of these events seem to feature the late start (5PM), among other elements. I don't know in this case, but I bet alcohol plays a part in the decision making on some of these late start outings. The party starts at 3, and then the hike starts at 5. The rescue starts at 10.

The WMUR story is basically a rehash from from this official press release. Typically press releases from public agencies are sent out via a media list and it is up to the recipient to followup and post a story.

Phone: (603) 271-3211
Email: [email protected]
11 Hazen Drive, Concord, N.H. 03301
For information and online licenses, visit http://www.wildnh.com

Lt. James Goss: 603-271-3361
Jane Vachon: 603-271-3211
May 18, 2009

FOUR MASSACHUSETTS HIKERS RESCUED IN NEW HAMPSHIRE'S WHITE MOUNTAINS

CONCORD, N.H. -- Four young hikers lost in darkness without map or lights on the Attitash Mountain Trail in Bartlett, N.H., were rescued late last night (Sunday, May 18) by New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Conservation Officers.*They are Julie Davenport, age 21, from North Brookfield, Mass.; Kyla Batchelder, age 21, of Stoughton, Mass.; Joslyn Phelps, age 21, Pittsfield, Mass.; and Tim Bergman, age 20, North Brookfield, Mass.*The rescued hikers are all in good condition.

The four were staying in the Barlett area and decided to go for a hike on Sunday.*They set out on the Attitash Mountain Trail, in the White Mountain National Forest in the town of Bartlett, at about 5:00 p.m.*They did not have a trail map, backpacks or any lights with them.*They mistakenly thought that the trail was a loop trail that would return them to the trailhead.*In fact, the trail they were following was a more than eight-mile hike over two mountaintops.

As darkness fell, the hikers lost the trail.*They stopped by a stream, Lucy Brook, and were able to use a cell phone to call for help at about 9:00 p.m. Sunday evening.*Two N.H. Fish and Game Conservation Officers hiked in and found them at around 11:30 p.m., using whistles and lights to signal their presence to the hikers.*The group was 2.8 miles from trailhead when they were located.*The search team then helped the hikers walk out, reaching the trailhead with them at 1:00 a.m. today.*

No further information is available at this time.

New Hampshire Fish and Game urges all those enjoying New Hampshire's outdoors to review and practice the hikeSafe Hiker Responsibility Code (below), and encourage others to do so.*You are responsible for yourself, so be prepared:

* With knowledge and gear. Become self-reliant by learning about the terrain, conditions, local weather and your equipment before you start.
* To leave your plans. Tell someone where you are going, the trails you are hiking, when you'll return and your emergency plans.
* To stay together. When you start as a group, hike as a group, end as a group. Pace your hike to the slowest person.
* To turn back. Weather changes quickly in the mountains. Fatigue and unexpected conditions can also affect your hike. Know your limitations and when to postpone your hike. The mountains will be there another day.
* For emergencies. Even if you are headed out for just an hour, an injury, severe weather or a wrong turn could become life threatening. Don't assume you will be rescued; know how to rescue yourself.
* To share the hiker code with others.

For information on being safe while hiking, including ten essential items to have with you, visit http://www.hikesafe.com.

Don't look for them

Maybe they should stop looking for these people. You know, get their DNA out of the pool. :D It won't help now but think ahead. This should help in twenty or thirty years.
Sounds like the DNA pool needs a little Chlorine. :D:D
See you on the trail (with a map, compass, water and flashlight)....Walker :D

Last edited:
I wonder what would have made them think it was a loop. Perhaps a local gave them some intentionally bad info - nobody from this site, though, I'm sure. :D

Any chance F&G could be asked to refer those with no gear/plan/apparent experience as tourists/visitors/walkers rather than "hikers"?