Another Yellowstone grizzly attack, different outcome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on July 4 of this year, we were heading down the Base Station Rd when all of a sudden cars started slowing down. When we could finally make out why everyone was slowing down, we saw that it was a black bear slowly sauntering right down the middle of the road. It meandered on the road for about 100 yards before exiting into the woods on the right.

Awesome photo J&J - thanks for posting!!!

tens of thousands of people successfully hike in bear country every year. suggesting anyone should spend the time and money acquiring the gear, skill and licenses to carry an appropriate firearm is not only impractical, but ridiculous. it's been established that slightly larger groups with spray and air horns are perfectly safe. or you could hire a local guide. if you already possess the gear, skill and licenses, have at it. better be pretty frickin quick on the draw, though. i'd imagine killing a charging grizzly is akin to suddenly needing to dispatch an angry football team on crack in a dark alley.

Agreed. If the bear decides to charge the trip is over.

tens of thousands of people successfully hike in bear country every year. suggesting anyone should spend the time and money acquiring the gear, skill and licenses to carry an appropriate firearm is not only impractical, but ridiculous. it's been established that slightly larger groups with spray and air horns are perfectly safe. or you could hire a local guide. if you already possess the gear, skill and licenses, have at it. better be pretty frickin quick on the draw, though. i'd imagine killing a charging grizzly is akin to suddenly needing to dispatch an angry football team on crack in a dark alley.

I wouldnt suggest aquiring the skills needed to carry just to hike in bear country as it would take to long, your either into guns or your not, judgeing your post obviously your not. I do not hike in groups, maybe one or two,mostly solo, hiking in a large group frankly would take away everything I enjoy about being in the wilderness. As far as being quick on the draw, you can bet your sweet little a.. I am, frankly my problem is I was born in the wrong era by about 110 years.

, your either into guns or your not, judgeing your post obviously your not.

And you'd be wrong. I'm concealed carry licensed in CT since 2001 (#911586), have the application completed in NH, bow, rifle and shotgun hunt, shoot skeet, trap and target (as do my wife and boys), NRA Marksman and Pro-Marksman in several categories and am a card carrying member out there exercising my rights. Now, I'm sure none of that impresses you, which is fine. The reason I mention it is that it's BECAUSE I understand weapons and marksmanship limitations that I made those statements. That and the experience of my Montana friend have convinced me it's folly in 99.9% of the cases to think you're safe by yourself, or in a small group, with a gun in bear country. But you obviously feel you're that .1%, so good luck with that.

Us mortals should depend on group size, spray and horns.

Oh, and my a.. is neither sweet nor little, but thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Any grizzlies near Colorado Springs, Colorado?

No. In the lower 48, they're in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and maybe the North Cascades in Washington state. That's it. Colorado has blacks only.

I've day-hiked in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Banff/Yoho/Jasper, and done a few backpacks in Yellowstone. Each time I've been with one other person. I've always carried bear spray. I'm not any braver than the next guy, but I'll admit it's a rush to hike in grizzly country. It makes me hyper-alert to my surroundings and probably made me see, smell, and hear things I might've otherwise missed. And when you're 10 miles from the nearest road and dusk settles in and you realize that wimpy little dome of nylon is your home for the night, that's when you realize whose backyard you're in.
996506927_a8dWR-M.jpg

Last edited:
when you're 10 miles from the nearest road and dusk settles in and you realize that wimpy little dome of nylon is your home for the night, that's when you realize whose backyard you're in.

What a gorgeous picture. And how SMALL that tent looks...

And when you're 10 miles from the nearest road and dusk settles in and you realize that wimpy little dome of nylon is your home for the night, that's when you realize whose backyard you're in.

Now isn't that the truth!!! :)

I'm not any braver than the next guy, but I'll admit it's a rush to hike in grizzly country. It makes me hyper-alert to my surroundings and probably made me see, smell, and hear things I might've otherwise missed. And when you're 10 miles from the nearest road and dusk settles in and you realize that wimpy little dome of nylon is your home for the night, that's when you realize whose backyard you're in.
You are no longer at the top of the food chain...

Doug

Last edited:
Another idea.

I say, when that mean ol' bear comes up, just pull out that six string and sing a John Denver tune. Works every time.

And when you're 10 miles from the nearest road and dusk settles in and you realize that wimpy little dome of nylon is your home for the night, that's when you realize whose backyard you're in.

Well said and great pics ! I'll certainly concede that if you're being attacked in a tent, a gun would probably be more help than bear spray. I remember one case of this happening, maybe in Yellowstone.

una_dogger said:
Agreed, we are in thier home after all.

I consider it "Our" home too, and I would not consider the bears life more valuable than mine or my hiking partners if the bear was attacking. I just firmly believe EVERYONE is safer in larger groups with spray as opposed to depending on a firearm..

And you'd be wrong. I'm concealed carry licensed in CT since 2001 (#911586), have the application completed in NH, bow, rifle and shotgun hunt, shoot skeet, trap and target (as do my wife and boys), NRA Marksman and Pro-Marksman in several categories and am a card carrying member out there exercising my rights. Now, I'm sure none of that impresses you, which is fine. The reason I mention it is that it's BECAUSE I understand weapons and marksmanship limitations that I made those statements. That and the experience of my Montana friend have convinced me it's folly in 99.9% of the cases to think you're safe by yourself, or in a small group, with a gun in bear country. But you obviously feel you're that .1%, so good luck with that.

Us mortals should depend on group size, spray and horns.

Oh, and my a.. is neither sweet nor little, but thanks for the compliment.

There's no need to get so riled up there chip, If and when Im in grizzly country I would choose to carry, if you prefer groups and horns and such that sounds like a sound plan to me. I agree it would be a low percentage shot with a handgun but I would still carry and still try. Anywho its really a moot point, my haunts of CO,CA and NH are where I hang my hat and hike.

p.s. your welcome for the compliment, Im sure your underating yourself, but I appreiciate your modesty.:D

I'm curious to see how this all shakes out, with the recent legalization of firearms in national parks. I'm wondering if it's going to be like cell phones - i.e. go someplace you really shouldn't and don't bother excercising proper bear-country etiquitte because the .50 cal is by your side. I wonder if this will actually lead to more negative bear encounters. Time will tell.

I also think it's a shame that people avoid some of the most beautiful land in this country because of the exceedingly remote threat of a bear encounter. To me, it's like staying inside because you're worried about a lightning strike. However, I certainly have my fair share of unreasonable fears, and I recognize that people don't really get to choose what they're going to be afraid of.

My policy regarding guns is to respect what the locals do. If they carry a gun, there's probably a good reason. That said, in my trips to Glacier, North Cascades, Denali, Wrangell, and Katchemak Bay, I never once saw a person with a gun. Might be a different story in the really remote parts of AK.

My policy regarding guns is to respect what the locals do. If they carry a gun, there's probably a good reason. That said, in my trips to Glacier, North Cascades, Denali, Wrangell, and Katchemak Bay, I never once saw a person with a gun. Might be a different story in the really remote parts of AK.
I was in Alaska a few years ago and we flew into a very remote beach and spent an entire day. The group leader had a rifle. He never had to use it. We saw grizzly bears in the area from the plane, and we saw their HUGE paw prints in the sand!

I'm curious to see how this all shakes out, with the recent legalization of firearms in national parks. I'm wondering if it's going to be like cell phones - i.e. go someplace you really shouldn't and don't bother excercising proper bear-country etiquitte because the .50 cal is by your side. I wonder if this will actually lead to more negative bear encounters. Time will tell.
Herrero notes that people are likely to behave differently when they have firearms.

He also notes that most bear charges are bluff charges and I suspect that a number of bears will get shot while bluff charging. If a bear gets pepper-sprayed unnecessarily, no harm is done. The same cannot be said for getting shot.

Doug