Appalachia to Pinkham Visitor Ctr.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Is it feasable to hike from Appalachia to Pinkham Visitor Center as a dayhike.

Looking to hike over Madison, Adams, Jefferson and washington. Then down Boote Spur or Lions Head Trail.

I would like to locate the car at pinkhams and take the hiker shuttle, then hike back.

Can also break this into an overnighter if necessary. Alternate suggestions would also be appreciated.

Without knowing your hiking speed, it's a bit speculative, but ... most conditioned hikers can do what you propose. What works against your plan is time. Specifically - check the time you'll arrive at Appalachia from Pinkham. It may be mid-day by the time you start your hike, and if so that would make your hike rather daunting, even for a super fast hiker.

going by the AMC website, it indicates the shuttle leaves Pinkham at 8:10 am and arrives at Appalachia at 8:35 am, so a relatively early start is planned.

I'm well conditioned and have done several ADK high peaks in a day. 12 to 15 mile average. I would rather take my time and make this a moderate two day hike instead of a 12 hour march. Planning on doing this trip in early September.

going by the AMC website, it indicates the shuttle leaves Pinkham at 8:10 am and arrives at Appalachia at 8:35 am, so a relatively early start is planned.

I'm well conditioned and have done several ADK high peaks in a day. 12 to 15 mile average. I would rather take my time and make this a moderate two day hike instead of a 12 hour march. Planning on doing this trip in early September.

you have madison hut and lake of the clouds for expensive lodging. if you haul your own gear you can camp at the perch on adams or hermitlake by tuckerman ravine( not tuckerman ravine trail will be closed on july 17th i believe for trail work. camping at hermit lake would make a long first day and a steep decent on the other trail options to reach it i.e. lions head or boot spurr link. there is also gray nob cabin on adams the charge like $12 its $7 for either of the tent sites and 100 for the amc huts.

thanks for the information. May end up reserving a spot in the cabin.

any other affordable options on that traverse. or do I need to drop down into one of the valleys to tent for the night.

The sites around Adams are only 3+ miles from the road. I would like to be further in for the start of the second day.

Alas you have discovered the one weak link in the "multi-night on the Presis" deal. All the established overnight sites are IMHO inconveniently located for anyone looking to do more than the book ends of the Presis (except for Lakes of the Clouds which is, let's be honest, so ridiculously priced as to be absurd). All options require substantial diversions off the ridge or to make one of your days "short" mileage.

Brian

Thanks for your replies.

I will do more research and probably have more questions down the line.

Food for thought...

To ensure you get a spot you could arrive at Crag Camp or Gray Knob first thing to drop your stuff, lay out sleeping bags etc, go hit Madison and Adams with light packs returning for the night. Maybe extend the day by rockhopping to Adams sub-peaks JQ Adams and Sam Adams (both cool in their own way.) If it is a nice day really enjoying Adams is the way to go.

Then next day set out to Edmands Col via Gray Knob Trail to Randolph Path (or up Lowes to Gulfside, more elevation gain which you loose,) then on your way to Jeff and beyond.

Cheaper than doling out $100+ for a bunk at Lakes.

Last edited:
Lots of people do the Presidential traverse as a day hike and what you propose is easier, of course you are talking a strenuous hike even in good weather

The trail from Tuckerman Ravine to Pinkham Notch is a wide tractor road which can easily be walked in the dark with a minimal headlamp, it would take more energy to haul a backpack over all the peaks to camp at Tucks than it would just to walk out with a day pack

The chief thing your plan lacks is a good bailout if you get tired near Jefferson as all the trails into Great Gulf are very tough particularly if you are tired, if you have a cell phone to bring you might check in advance what shuttle services or taxis in Gorham are available to take you back from Rte.2

If you are a morning person who normally stays in motels, one possibility might be to reserve a bunk at Pinkham for the night after your hike and leave a parcel of clean clothes there - drive your car to Appalachia as early as you can and that will leave it conveniently located if you need to bail, otherwise spend the night at Pinkham when you get down and take the shuttle to your car the next morning

Is it feasable to hike from Appalachia to Pinkham Visitor Center as a dayhike.

Looking to hike over Madison, Adams, Jefferson and washington. Then down Boote Spur or Lions Head Trail.

I would like to locate the car at pinkhams and take the hiker shuttle, then hike back.

Can also break this into an overnighter if necessary. Alternate suggestions would also be appreciated.

I'd also suggest staying at the Perch. If you hike over Madison and Adams you can take the Israel Ridge Path down. It's really not that bad of a descent considering the rugged terrain you'll be in all day. It is about 1000' down. Think of it as part of the Presi experience. It may or may not be busy (weekend?), but as others have said, I wouldn't come in late. Having a tent/tarp allows use of the tent platforms, although on nice nights I've just put my bag and pad out on them as well.

On day two you can head straight for Edmands Col and tackle Jefferson and Washington.

It's a way to split the two days relatively equally (heavier day 2) and gives you time on the mountains. FWIW I'd suggest not rushing it if you don't get there often.

Last edited:
Alas you have discovered the one weak link in the "multi-night on the Presis" deal. All the established overnight sites are IMHO inconveniently located for anyone looking to do more than the book ends of the Presis (except for Lakes of the Clouds which is, let's be honest, so ridiculously priced as to be absurd). All options require substantial diversions off the ridge or to make one of your days "short" mileage.

Brian
I agree with the $$$, but that does not stop them from being totally filled up! :eek: :confused:

Another variation is getting an early start from Appalachia with a light daypack, and head up Valley Way to do Madison and then head south, ending at Pinkham. Spend the night at Pinkham - am quite sure it's cheaper than at the AMC mountain huts - and take the shuttle the following morning.

It's a little more expensive than overnighting at an RMC facility, but you won't have a heavier pack to schlep over some rough terrain, and I think overall you'll have a better experience.

You could consider doing the loop in reverse, up Boott Spur, Lions Head or whatever. Make it to Madison Hut or one of the RMC huts for the night and then head over Madison and down Osgood, Osgood Cutoff, Madison Gulf and Old Jackson and end up back at Pinkham. You can start early on day one, no need to worry about a shuttle. You'll split the trip into two fairly equal days. Food for thought.

Thanks all. All great suggestions. I will do some more planning and keep in touch.