article on editing software

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I thought this article might be of interest and that it might start a conversation for those of us with little editing experience by those of you with more.

My editing is pretty much limited to rotating and cropping. While I can't make editing trip photos a part time job, I would like to punch up the color/contrast on occassion and would be interested to hear what people use.

I thought this article might be of interest and that it might start a conversation for those of us with little editing experience by those of you with more.

My editing is pretty much limited to rotating and cropping. While I can't make editing trip photos a part time job, I would like to punch up the color/contrast on occassion and would be interested to hear what people use.
Being a cheap-a$$, I just use an old shareware tool called LVIEW. It lets me do quite a bit of tweaking the image. Color Balance, Contrast, resize, crop, rotate, flip, gamma, gray scale, even some filtering, like sharpening, which can 'fix' a slightly fuzzy shot sometimes. For all else, I consult BHSF! :D

I've become a fan of Picasa of late. It's got the basic fixes in an easy-to-use panel and includes the famous Google "I'm feeling lucky" button which adjusts contrast and levels automagically. It has tagging, automatically saves you originals, syncs with your online albums automatically... it's worth a look.

Oh, and Tom... it has a leveling fix too which automatically crops as it levels. Very handy for (say) photos taken from a bouncing boat.

Tim

I've used Photoshop since v4.0. I don't see myself ever switching. LR might have some advantages over PS when it comes to workflow, but PS gives you an awful lot more versatility.

That said, I think LR is more than sufficient for processing photos 90% of the time. Still, I'm sticking with PS... especially with the new CS5 features. The content aware fill is probably the single greatest feature Adobe has implemented since ACR integration.

You lost me. Not your fault, I just am not there at this point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI

I understand the nuts and bolts of what's under PS' hood for the most part, but I'm still trying to figure out how that works. It turns some chores that used to take hours into tasks that take a few minutes, and it gives you 99% of the quality you get from doing it by hand.

I worked as a photo retoucher/restorer back in the PS 5/5.5 days. Had content aware fill been available back then, I would have been able to get three days' worth of work done in about three hours. It's pretty much sorcery as far as I'm concerned.

Between this and the selection improvements, CS 5 is pretty much a dream come true for photographers. Even the worst lens flares are a non-issue. Even the most irregular horizons can now easily be masked. It's pretty amazing tech.

I'm an Aperture guy. Started using it before Lightroom was out, and with 21,898 photos in the collection (125GB) I'm still well-organized and pleased with the software. I can do all the touch-up (mainly exposure, white balance, shadows/highlights, but sometimes more complicated stuff and even the rare red-eye removal) I need within it, and since I committed myself to rating and tagging my photos as I imported them, I can actually find things and work well in the environment. I've got a few plugins for esoteric stuff, such as correcting fisheye shots. It is very rare that I have to export an image to an external editor (such as Photoshop). Most commonly I do so just for for blurring out license plates, and I think there's a way in the new version of Aperture to use either spot-and-patch or the retouch tool for that. Even if I get into HDR, there are a few different plugins I can use to perform that workflow right within Aperture instead of making the loop through an external editor.

It's all about workflow. I keep my raw images as references on a portable drive, while my metadata library is on my laptop. That way I can import from the camera, let Aperture create working previews, disconnect the drive, and easily work on the laptop alone tagging, rating, captioning, and marking for later adjustments. When I'm ready, I reattach the drive, perform any adjustments, and export.

You forgot to mention the cost. :eek: ;)
Well, yes. I'm not recommending anyone run out and buy it, because it is quite expensive. :p I have it because of my job.

LR is the far better value. It'll handle the processing needs of the vast majority of images and doesn't cost a fortune.

The GIMP is a very powerful editor that's totally free. It's not as full-featured as the latest, top-of-the-line Photoshop, but it's fairly close. In fact for most ordinary photographers the problem is the opposite: so many tools and options that it can be hard to find the one simple thing you want to do. Luckily you don't *have* to use all the features. Rotating and cropping are real easy to find, as are straightforward sliders for contrast, brightness, and saturation (but you'll soon find you get better results with more sophisticated ways of playing with color and contrast).

I use Photoshop 6. It does most of everything I need. The only things I find lacking are tools for lens distortion removal and chromatic aberration removal. I imagine this probably goes for under $100 these days, if you can find it on ebay. It's over 10 years old.