Attention JetBoil users/owners.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I found out this morning I have a tiny hole in my JetBoil "aluminum boiling pot." The pot bottom and jet nozzle that you screw into the canister is glued to the pot but it is also somehow spot welded in a few spots on the pot. Well I've had a problem with the plastic cup and that it would be monstrously hard to remove. In fact, it was so hard once that I cleanly removed the cup and the nozzle from the pot itself. (that's how I know it is glued onto the pot). But in addition to accidentally pulling off the nozzle and pot stand, I also poked a hole through one of the weld points so now my pot leaks. I'm thinking of using some food grade silicone and simply dabbing it, it's a pretty tiny leak. Anybody know the boiling point of silicone? I'll have to check that...

But a warning to others who may have hard to remove cups like mine. Be careful with it..

Jay

Last edited:
jay. i'd say try and return it, but if it's more than one year old, you may have a tough time. their website says there's a limitied one year warranty, but doesn't sound like it covers much. too bad. i thought they may be the type of company that would stand behind it's product.

If you got it at EMS or LL Bean, they should exchange it no questions asked. Just tell them you're "not 100% satisfied"

Interesting Jay. I to have the same prob with difficulty removing the bottom plastic cap. I've actually wondered if I might not be able to do it in cold weather when the plastic is harder and my fingers colder. Hmmm, what to do?

the silicone idea seems a temporary fix if at all.
do you live near an art school or college with a sculpture department? betcha you could get a student to spot that hole gratis.

I fired off an email to JetBoil itself. I think it is more than 1 year old. I got it via REI (online) when it was on sale awhile ago. I might be able to find when I bought it if they keep a order history like some places do but I will wait to see what JetBoil says. It's really a tiny hole, but the boiling part is the kicker.

As far as how to avoid it..... Patience I guess! I'm impatient and got pissed at how hard it is to get off (especially in winter), I yanked it once and the whole pot base came off. Try to unscrew it as much as posslble and try not to use the fingernail and yank method. I'd also consider breaking off one of the tabs, should make it easier to remove yet not affect the volume.

Jay

I trimmed down the cup's plastic tabs with a pocket knife when I first got mine. Because I over trimmed them a bit, it slips off a bit too easy, but it's much better than wrestling with it. Maybe trimming the tabs only one side of the cup would work better if someone wants to try. -- Jim

"jet stuck cup"

I sell them at EMS & every one that I sell, I suggest to the purchaser that they carefully sand & fit the plastic cup for easy removal. My BP partner has one that we "modded". Works great.

Bob said:
If you got it at EMS or LL Bean, they should exchange it no questions asked. Just tell them you're "not 100% satisfied"

Not to pick on you Bob, but that isn't really the best tact. If there is no manufacturer's defect, sure Bean or EMS will take them back. What will they do with them if they cannot return them to the manufacturer? Likely throw them away. To cover the cost of the replacement unit, this only drives up the price of all their items to cover that missing cost. So, we all pay a little more.

I am not advocating that you do not return something that is defective. However, I've seen boots trying to be returned that had at least a few years of use on them. "I'm not satisfied" was the line.....

dug said:
Not to pick on you Bob, but that isn't really the best tact. If there is no manufacturer's defect, sure Bean or EMS will take them back. What will they do with them if they cannot return them to the manufacturer? Likely throw them away. To cover the cost of the replacement unit, this only drives up the price of all their items to cover that missing cost. So, we all pay a little more.

I am not advocating that you do not return something that is defective. However, I've seen boots trying to be returned that had at least a few years of use on them. "I'm not satisfied" was the line.....

Well yeah there's a manufacturer's defect - you can't get the bottom plastic off without breaking the cup! Even the guy that works at EMS tells consumers to modify the original design. That is a design flaw and the fact that it lasted a year or less or more is irrelevant. As large buyer/retailers EMS and REI are uniquely positioned to pressure the manufacturer into improving the design so it is possible to remove the plastic bottom without destroying the very part of the pot it is protecting. Let us not blame the consumer/victim here.

Well... I am having a friend of Guinness's to fix it via another weld. Much better than buying a new one (for me) and much better than tossing this one (for all of us).

Jay

Jay H said:
I fired off an email to JetBoil itself. I think it is more than 1 year old. I got it via REI (online) when it was on sale awhile ago. I might be able to find when I bought it if they keep a order history like some places do but I will wait to see what JetBoil says. It's really a tiny hole, but the boiling part is the kicker.
Jay

Hey Jay,
Did you get a return email from Jetboil? I am curious to see if they realize this is a problem with the design and make good on it. After all it is not an inexpensive stove and I would hope a primary issue for them is their reputation.

skidoc22 said:
Well yeah there's a manufacturer's defect - you can't get the bottom plastic off without breaking the cup! Even the guy that works at EMS tells consumers to modify the original design. That is a design flaw and the fact that it lasted a year or less or more is irrelevant. As large buyer/retailers EMS and REI are uniquely positioned to pressure the manufacturer into improving the design so it is possible to remove the plastic bottom without destroying the very part of the pot it is protecting. Let us not blame the consumer/victim here.

I was not implying it was not a defect, I was only trying to point out that the "I'm not 100% satisfied" line can cause a lot of problems for smaller businesses. If it is truely defective, then of course it should go back.

If you are just sick of the product, broke it yourself, or wore it out...those are the times I was referring to. I've seen that done before, and felt the need to chime as a voice from the small retailer.

Chill.

I just got a reply from JetBoil.... The lady said to send her my address for an RMA so it can be repaired/replaced. I replied to see if it's free or not, if not free, I'd just as well fix it. I doubt they would actually fix it, really.

Jay

For what it is worth, it is definitely a defect. I have almost ripped my fingernails off (ouch!) trying to get that thing off. I am going to try fritz's recommendation of sanding down the edges. Thanks. Good luck with your's Jay.

Got an email from JetBoil last night, they issued an RMA and I'm going to send it to them to be fixed/replaced free of charge. :)

...and then file my little cup tab thing for the next one...:)

Jay