Attention Peakbaggers! Soliciting list / peak data

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep the responses coming! If you are a reader but not a member, you can e-mail me at

timlucia AT yahoo DOT com

I've caught up on all data entry to this point, but there are only 106 records in the DB so far (completed hiker-lists)...

Tim

List.............Time..................First peak...............Last peak

NH4k............tbd................Washington(1967)..........tbd

Even Wu finished before me :eek:

Wow! People were generally surprised when they found out that I hadn't finished the NH48 (and now they're surprised when they find out that I am working on the Grid) but this is a bigger surprise! Way cool! Don't run with the crowd, man!

-Dr. Wu

I volunteer to tabulate the responses when the answers tail off. Please tell us (or you can PM or e-mail me privately if you don't wish to make it public) which list(s) you've done, how long each took you (months and/or years) and your start and finish peaks for each.

Let's see if we have enough interest to gather a reasonable sample. I'll post a template in the first reply which you can quote and fill in for yourself. I'll answer the questions myself in the second reply.

Tim

NH4K:48/48 3 yrs start: Washington 8/13/08 finish: Carrigain 7/24/11
NHW4K:11/48
NEHH: 64/100
52WAV: 20/52
Grid: 96/576

Driving distance and time was the factor in completing the list
WM4, 12 years, Jefferson, Isolation
NE67, 17 years Jefferson, Saddleback-Horn
NE111,19 years Marcy, Saddleback-Horn
ADK46, 4 ½ years, Marcy, Whiteface

Roy, I was wondering how you came to climb Isolation first. Were you being contrary, or were you a kid accompanying someone else?
I was a kid on a 3-day backpack. I don't remember the summit (or the shelters) at all, have to believe my mother that we took the side trails up that and Stairs. What I remember is the old suspension bridge at Notchland, the strong wind near Boott Spur, and the big rock going down Glen Boulder.

To answer someone else's question, I used to keep a daily mileage log for my car so any major peaks can be found from that - if my car was used. I also have pocket calendars with like a one-inch square per day that I retrieved info from. But there will be many dates missing forever, such as the local firetower we climbed every year before there was a 3k list and easy peaks I went to in conjunction with something else that weren't logged separately. I have compared dates with others I hiked with - and they didn't always agree!

Had to dig out my old guidebook!

WM4K Moosilauke 1989, Carrigain 2000 - 11 years
NE67 Moosilauke 1989, Old Speck 2004 - 15 years

Interesting that Washington is listed as tops in the first peak category for the WM lists. That's probably because it contains multiple lists. When I was doing the stats for this post I was a bit startled to notice that the first peak on my own WM4w as Washington. When I first started to hike in winter, my goal wasn't peakbagging - it was simply to get out. I suspect many others were/are similarly motivated.

I can group the first/last peak by list, state and name. Feel free to make other query modification suggestions - that's why I put the DDL and queries on the child page (and in fact the whole .sql file should you want to create the DB for yourself.) I know there are many readers who can read/write SQL.

I suspect Washington is many people's first peak--it is the most famous and the biggest and if you're going to climb only one, it's the one to climb...

I noticed that Hamlin, rather than Baxter, gets the NEHH/NE67 finishers (nobody listed Baxter) - probably because they do the knife edge loop clockwise. I have 'struggled' with wanting to do the loop this way but finish the 67/HH on Baxter myself.

The other 'surprise' for me was the number of people who have done the NE111. No surprise at all to find Carrigain and Isolation as the top two NH finishing peaks. The AMC FTFC has been saying that for years. I would have chosen Carrigain had my kids not asked to come, and I picked Jackson to accomodate them (and so glad I did!)

Tim

Tim amazing stuff..thanks for taking the time to put together this info,the first/last peaks was surprising.I am correct and deducing no group of two finished any lists on washington?I finished my 48 on Wash...Guess that was original or me being a wimp...

Last edited:
This is hard work to figure all this out.

NE111w 10y 9d, Slide, West Bond
NE111w (2nd time) 7y 12d, Hunter, Baxter Peak

Maybe I'll get to the others this weekend.

Tim amazing stuff..thanks for taking the time to put together this info,the first/last peaks was surprising.I am correct and deducing no group of two finished any lists on washington?I finished my 48 on Wash...Guess that was original or me being a wimp...

There was one finisher on Washington - WM4w - Pucknuts. Washington is a tough peak to leave for last - grab it when the weather is good. It's also the most popular first peak which might contribute to its status as an unpopular last peak.

Of course I know several people personally who have finished on Washington, and dozens more who have finished the WM4s in both seasons but simply haven't responded here. The rollup is only as good as the source data.

Tim

More data since you're still collecting

The embedded chart was private--try it now.

And do continue to submit data. I'm not sure how much wider an audience I want... but will consider other sources.

Tim

Just seeing this fun thread and wanted to submit mine

WM4
2 years 1997-1999) (22 months)
First: Liberty
Last: Isolation

I went around and did them all again at least once for a second round--don't know if that should be counted but if so

WM4
11 years 2000-2011
First: Moosilauke
Last: Wildcat D

It was interesting to see that it took me long enough to do it the second round that a) Owl's Head peak "moved," and b) Wildcat E was no longer valid, but was replaced by Wildcat D

Addition & corrections

WM4,18 y, Isolation, Tecumseh
WM4w,10 y, M Tripyramid, Tecumseh
NE67,28 y, Isolation, Avery
NEHH,28 y, Isolation, Avery
CAT35,7 y, West Kill, Indian Head
NHHH,21 y, Isolation, E Sleeper
NHHHw,13 y,M Tripyramid, E Sleeper
TW72,43 y, Isolation, SW Twin
NEFF,41 y, Camels Hump, Moxie