Backpacker Magazine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Help, John Vieman!

I'm also disappointed with the change to short "articles", and didn't realize the regional thing. It really is annoying to see an interesting topic emblazoned on the cover, only to find just one page with a big stupid picture and two paragraphs of information. The magazine is rapidly losing it's appeal to me, and I might drop it, as I have other magazines in the last year. That will leave me with Nat. Geo. Adventure to look forward to. Oh, well, more time to read VFTT!

At least they're trying...

Like others have said, I also feel it's a good magazine for beginners, and find Outside magazine to be much more appealing. It'd be nice to see them cater to a more "hardcore" audience. But at least they're trying something new. Will they fall on their face? Who knows. But it'll be interesting to watch.

While we are on the topic of ads, How about all those cheesy singles ads in the back for the AMC rag. I read them aloud to my wife every month and we get a big giggle outta them. Most of those folks writing those ads seem to be incredibly svelte, toned, Eurocentric with eclectic tastes, with stunning personalities and either look like Sharon Stone or Brad Pitt.
Well, I fail the test on all of the above, (but I have a sense of humour.) :)

Backpacker Complaints

i just sent this link to backpacker.com
maybe they'll read all your opinions and take them under consideration
or not

For a beginner like me I find the magazine to be very interesting, so I will continue to subscribe to it. It would be nice to compare it to an edition published many years ago to do a comparision.

I really didn't want this to become an anti-advertising rant against Backpacker, because I think we already did that one last year. I don't like the ads any more than the next guy, but I'm hoping that the revenue from those ads gets put into making a quality magazine.

Most of the time, I think they get it right. But I agree with a lot of you, it seems like lately they've been catering to a newbie crowd at the expense of long time subscribers. Someone didn't get the memo that our attention span is longer than 8 seconds-- we're hikers.

Anyway, I only spoke up because of the regionalization, which started with the 2005 issue. Many posts above pointed out that it's not the whole magazine, just a small part, but that's just my point-- I've already used that small part twice in the past 6 months for exploring lands nowhere near my home state. Now I'm ass-out. Some guy in California is going to get the pages that I want, detailing some West Coast hiking information. It's a shame that they couldn't have just made the magazine a dozen pages longer, with coverage of all regions in each issue.

I'm going to wait a few months to see how it all pans out, but if they stick with this, I'll be cancelling my subscription.

I have a subscription to Backpacker, and I think they do a pretty solid job. I also feel that they do listen to their readers. Overall, the magazine is about entertainment. I enjoy taking a break from my everyday blah blah blah to read about a trip somewhere, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Bangladesh, NYC...wherever. The magazine provides an escape. That's all. If you learn a little along the wwy, then it's a bonus. I don't use Backpacker to trip plan, because that's not what it's really designed for. It gives ideas, but not the real details you need.

But, if you're upset about the ads, then don't buy it. The magazine wouldn't exist without the ads. Period. That's how it works. Ads keep the publication going. I don't particularly like them either, but they're absolutely necessary. Without the ads...what would we have to complain about? ;)

There was a time that I enjoyed reading this and other outdoor magazines but, as someone else mentioned, they seem to recycle the same destinations and topics. Eventually there is less and less new to the experienced hiker, or reader.

When I'm in the market for major new gear I refer to the Gear Guide edition but in the end I wouldn't consider a major purcvhase without bouncing it off VFTTers first.

I think this focus on the Northeast represents a trend in magazines in general. There is so much information available through the internet that magazines become more focused or specialized, more boutique like in some ways, in order to maintain or grow their market share. The times they are a-changin'.

Reply from Backpacker

Jon Dorn from Backpacker here. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I read your posts with interest -- and occasionally some angst, to be sure. It's great to see so much passion about the sport of backpacking and about Backpacker, even if a good number of the comments are critical. Please know that we take all feedback from readers very seriously.

In fact, it was feedback from subscribers that led us to introduce the regional editions. We constantly hear from Backpacker readers that they want us to give them more hikes within a few hours of where they live. The first thing we did, earlier this year, was introduce the Waypoints cards, which added about a dozen hikes all across the country to the magazine. Then we added the regional editions, each with its own set of Waypoints cards, so the hikes get a lot closer to home for readers in those areas. It's important to note that we did all of this without taking away any of the existing pages of the magazine, so you still get stories like the North Cascades adventure guide in the February issue and the Grand Canyon guide in the December issue. The Waypoints were a straight-up addition and enhancement.

We know that the regional content -- which right now just amounts to a sheet of 6 Waypoints hikes for each of 6 regions -- is still a work in progress. We're hoping to expand the local information we can provide, again without sacrificing the big trips and national park stories everyone loves. I hope you'll all keep reading to see how we do on this front.

There was one post that suggested this is an advertising gambit. That is entirely incorrect. These additions are all about responding to reader requests. As you can see from the current issue, there is no regional advertising. In fact, this move required a big investment from our parent company, Rodale, which saw an opportunity to serve the hiking market a better magazine.

That's all -- hope you'll keep reading and critiquing Backpacker. And please feel free to send any comments to me directly at [email protected].

Jon Dorn

Nice response

I like a person who stands up for himself or herself and gives thoughtful, reasoned answers to questions and criticisms.
Therefore, I now like Backpacker magazine a little more than I did before. I've bought it a couple of times this year. Very good for airplane rides. During flights, I like any reading material that gets me thinking I'm somewhere other than in an airplane.

I like Backpacker, too and have bought a 4 year subscription renewal. My primary areas of interest are gear reviews (I am an ultralight junkie), helpful backpacking hints, unusual stories and spectacular nature photos. Perhaps their target market is the hiking neophyte, but there are many experienced backpackers who have subscriptions, too. While there may be too much of an image thing going on with Backpacker, I realize that this sells magazines and can deal with it.