Backpacking/Camping Recipe Cookbooks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a favorite backpacking cookbook or a favorite website that has recipes for backpacking?

I'm looking for something basic I think as I'm just beginning to get into backpacking. Ideally, I'd like something that has say 50 excellent recipes (hopefully with pictures!!!) as opposed to one of the camping cookbooks that has 250 good recipes.

Any ideas???

Thanks

- Greg

Lipsmackin Backpackin is really great. They also have a vegetarian version as well. (No pictures, but good recipes... many require you to use a dehydrator though.)

- Ivy

Last edited:
I've also used:

A)
Chef in Your Backpack, Nicole Bassett, Arsenal Pulp Press, ISBN 1-55152-140-7 and

B)
Simple Foods for the Pack, Axcell/Kath/Cooke, Sierra Club Books, ISBN 1-57805-110-X.

rhihn said:
If you can dehydrate your food, I'd suggest Linda Yaffe's "Backpack Gourmet."
I'll second that recommendation. It's absolutely the best of any dehydrator recipe book. Heck, the recipes are great for regular home meals too! :)

If you are at all handy in the kitchen, after you see what can be done with these recipies you will get ideas for how to prepare and dehydrate your own routine recipies.

Last edited:
I used to look for recipies for backpacking, but I've changed somewhat. I now look at things I like, and try to adapt them for hiking. THis way, I'm not limitted by what is in the books.

Dehydrator? Here's some healthy junk food. Slice a tomato into about quarter inch thick slices. Sprinkle a bit of salt on it, then 'glue' a leaf of basil to it with a drop of olive oil. Tomato chips are great. If using roma tomatos, slice a bit thinner, if real juicy tomatos, slice a bit thicker.

Another wierd but good taste treat. Jalapeno-watermellon. Top a hunk of watermellon with a thin slice of jalapeno pepper. Dry. The watermellon gets sickingly sweet if you dry it alone, but with the hot pepper, it changes it into a weird taste treat. This idea came about via a weird mistake and sloppy food preperation.

check this Link. I made several of these meals with some Boy scouts last year. I recommend the Chicken Cream with Vegetables and Dumplings. It was a bit too salty, but very filling. The Macaroni and Beef Simple Supper and Beef stroganoff were also quite good. We used dehydrayted ground venison in place of beef. We dehydrated everything ourselves. The consenus was that the food was better than commercial freeze dried.

Good luck :)

Camp cooking

Two books I like are:

Gorp, Glop, and Glue Stew (Ruth Prater) -- contains recipes and commentary from world-class mountaineers and adventurers. Some of the recipes are really interesting and unusual and the stories are entertaining.

Roughing It Easy (Dian Thomas) --before Martha Stewart, this lady used to appear on TV giving demos of her outdoor cooking ideas. Not all of this is useful for backpacking but you would get ideas.

Pat T