Bald, Chokecherry, and Hurricane Bushwhacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougPaul

Reaction score
On Sunday (Mar 27) Liz, Steve, and I bushwhacked from Breezy Point (~1600 ft, just S of Mt Moosilauke) to Bald Hill (2397 ft), Chokecherry Hill (2971 ft), and Hurricane Mountain (3015 ft), and descended via Hurricane Trail and the Carriage Road back to our starting point. The route started on some old logging roads and included some gentle terrain, some open woods, some steep terrain, and some nasty spruce--but very few spruce traps :) . The route to Bald Hill was already known to Liz and Steve--the route finding from there to Hurricane Trail involved some guesswork but wasn't too difficult. Steve used AT skis, Liz used Tele skis, and I used snowshoes. ~7mi and 1600 vert ft.

We passed through a possible moose yard near Hurricane Mtn. Lots of prints and multiple piles of pellets.

On Monday (Mar 28) Steve (on AT skis) and I (on Tele skis) bushwhacked up to Bald Hill and down again. I used the previous day's route S of Merrill Brook (old logging roads and open woods) while Steve ascended a route to the N of the brook, met me at the summit*, and descended via a different route to the S of mine. 5mi rt and 800 vert ft for my route.

* We coordinated with 2M HTs. (Ham radios.)

The snow conditions were very good for bushwhacking--1 to ~4 feet of base covered by a firm crust and 1-3 inches of powder on top. It was sunny and warm during the day so the surface powder became wet and loose but refroze by evening. There were gusty winds both days.

Doug

Use of ham radios was interesting. I got my license a while back and tried the "wilderness protocol" but have not had a lot of luck getting contacts. Would like to see more people that have licenses carrying them. Myself included.

Use of ham radios was interesting. I got my license a while back and tried the "wilderness protocol" but have not had a lot of luck getting contacts. Would like to see more people that have licenses carrying them. Myself included.
I've never heard of any wilderness protocol. All three of us have licenses and the HTs were a convenient method of staying in contact when we separated.

Doug

The snow conditions were very good for bushwhacking--1 to ~4 feet of base covered by a firm crust and 1-3 inches of powder on top. It was sunny and warm during the day so the surface powder became wet and loose but refroze by evening.
Did you backfill your divots?:)
Sounds interesting. Good to hear your adventure.