Bald eagle spotted in Keene, NH, 3/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the woman I spoke to about the reservation for Shepaug was pretty excited about the 3 eggs, first time they've seen that, I had a hard time getting off the phone with her.

Umbagog

Umbagog has been very good to us in this regard. We saw three bald eagles on our last visit. Two were mature and one was younger (no white yet).

Pictures are here

gaiagirl said:
Forestgnome,

There have been a handful of times this winter when up to 8 eagles have been seen sitting in trees along the Pea Porridge Ponds near where I live. Feb. 16 was the last time, as I recall. I happened to be on Plum Island that weekend with a birding trip of Tin Mountain's and missed the local birds, though we saw several on the Merrimack in Amesbury that day.

What?!!!!! I live 100' from Middle Pea Porridge Pond! I'm going over right now. How did you hear of these eagles? Thanks!

Forestgnome,

We get bird reports often at Tin Mountain. Our Outreach Director keeps his fingers on the pulse of all things bird-related in the area :). Plus, we have a Board member who lives on Big Pea Pond (I think he was our source for the Feb. 16 sighting). A freind who lives in Freedom has seen them on her drive along Rt. 153, as well. Haven't heard of a very recent sighting, but they have been around this winter in the area.

PS It would seem, then, that we are neighbors. :)

It does give me some hope to see Bald Eagles doing better. I do believe they have been rather recently taken off the endangered species list. I have spotted them on a regular basis on the my local lake. The irony of this is when I have seen them they have been hunting Baby Loons...a species still on the endangered list. I guess this is a lesson in "Survival of the Fittest".

How great to see an eagle. I haven't seen them inland yet, but have spotted them when sailing on the schooner Summertime in Penobscott Bay. Seems to be one of those special sitings when you can boldly say "That's an eagle!" and not wonder if it is so. Here's to more special treats to round out your hikes.

When I used to live up in the sothwest New Hampshire I used to see eagles and ospreys a few times a year. Mostly in the sprin and fall while they were migrating.

I currently live within a 1/4 mile of the Savanah River just up river from Augusta, GA and see eagles quite a bit during the winter flying about and come summer time a lot of ospreys with at least 3 nest sites within a 15 minute paddle from the boat ramp. One of them is located in lights of the local baseball field. Really easy to observe with my girls.

Update on those eagles

Chip said:
Live Eagle nest cam ! These are the ones in Mass.

We've got an observation area (Shepaug Dam on the Housatonic ) near us, you have to make reservations to go, though, to keep the traffic down. I've never been there, called today to make a reservation and today was the last day for the season. :(

Thanks for the link Chip. I've enjoyed checking in on them from time to time. This photo is from yesterday. You can see mama and chick. Also note there's a meal waiting in the lower right.

Note: the link wasn't "stable" so I removed it.

Last edited:
The Androscoggin has loads of eagles. Its pretty predictable that paddling any stretch from Umbagog to Rumford will usually turn up an eagle. This probably applies to south of Rumford to Gulf Island Pond, but I havent paddled it often enough. The Pontook eagles nest is a nice short paddle and they are remarkably tolerant of visitors (it helps that the cove is too shallow to run a motor boat.