Bald Mountain Trail Maintenance 7/18/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
Recently, I became interested in the Trailwrights’ 72 List for no other reason than “it was there.” From the Trailwrights’ website I learned that there was a work party scheduled for 7/18 on the 0.4 mile Bald Mountain portion of the Artist’s Bluff Loop at the Northern end of Franconia Notch. I joined Hal, Bill, Peggy, Barbara, Daryl, and Ray at the trailhead at 8:30am in a day of departure from the beakbagging I have enjoyed over the years.

From the website I also learned that the “Trailwrights, Inc. founded in 1987, is a non-profit volunteer organization, the purpose of which is to promote environmentally sound techniques of trail maintenance and safe ethical hiking practices. To this end, Trailwrights has sponsored hundreds of trail maintenance workshops and hiking/backpacking workshops. Trailwrights has also organized the restoration of the New Hampshire Trails Day program. They are made up of volunteer men and women who enjoy hiking and care about the maintenance and use of hiking trails.

Hal mentioned that the group at one time numbered as many as one hundred members. Regrettably the participation has dwindled, much in the way that many volunteer service organizations have over the years. Groups such as Rotary, Shriners, the Lions, and others have incurred similar drops in membership as many of us, myself included, have pursued personal goals such as climbing mountains such as Rainier, participating in all consuming events such as triathlons, and leading exotic animals up the Autoroad.

After selecting tools from the well stocked trailer we headed across the parking lot to the trailhead where we relocated the sign demarking the Artist’s Bluff Trailhead to a location with better visibility.

Proceeding up the trail that traversed the side of the hill, Hal quickly identified an area of terrain above the trail that was eroded by a large volume of water and found a suitable location for a new waterbar. It took us about an hour and a half for three of us to cut a trench find and move the flat rocks to line the downhill wall of the trench and place an exit sluice on the downhill side of the trench.

In this way we installed three new waterbars, greatly improved another three and cleaned out dozens of others. We also installed several new rock steps and identified locations for some others in future work parties.

At one point early on we had a conversation with a park ranger who thanked us for the extensive work Trailwrights has done over the years. He also informed us that the trail will be renamed “Veterans Memorial Trail” and is to be dedicated later on this summer.

It is exhausting work but very rewarding. I attempted to count the folks who passed us during the day on the trail and feel it could be safely estimated at about 80. Most were groups of 3 to 5, many of them families with young children. This trail is a great way to introduce a 4 year old to hiking. The short trail leads to a beautiful view South, down the notch.

Last edited:
We love Bald Mountain! It is my 4 year old's favorite mountain, ever.

Thank you so much for doing trail work on it!

After Alex and I finish the 48, we will both be doing some trail work ourselves.

Trail work a great feeling and being part of a crew like that with all the tools must have been nice..

Thanks for your efforts..that's a great little..highly used hike

Much of the work on that trail was done in conjunction with the Shock Incarceration Unit of the state prison, but the state decided that the part of their rules that they must not speak all day applied to this work project and the Trailwrights considered that impractical

Many of the Trailwrights aged out of participation (not sure how Hal keeps going) and they failed to recruit younger people

The Trailwrights started up as sort of an anti-moneygrubbing club (dues are $5?) so maybe some of you AMC haters should join :)

We did a number of WODC projects around 1994 with Hal and a crew from the Shock Incarceration Unit. It was rather awkward not being able to talk to the workers. But we did some nice work on Kelley Trail and Old Mast Road where we were able to move a lot of dirt with the silent muscle!

Last edited:
They have what I consider the most beautiful patch ever.

I have worked with this crew and think they do fine work.

Way to go Paradox! Is there a patch?!

There are at least 2 groups that give a service patch:
Trailwrights membership is open to anyone, I'm not sure if there is a minimum number of trips to get a T-shirt or patch or whether they're free

You also get a patch if you do a day of trail work at the Long Trail Festival

The GMC and ATC give service awards which may not be patches

Sorry for the late reply to your posting . . . just now noticed it! Anyway, a huge belated “thank you” for your trail work!

Good folks like you + hard work = trails in good shape.
Trails in good shape = hiking enjoyment for all!

Trailwrights gear [Patches etc.]

Tom: Yes there is a patch. Also T-shirts sweatshirts as well as Decals.
We will have some with us this sat. the 19th.at the Mt. Pemigewasset trail project.