Banff Film Festival - New York City - March 10 & 11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Hi All

The New York City showing of the Banff Film Festival has finally updated their web page: Banff NYC web page

It will be on March 10 and 11 (Tuesday and Wednesday) at Symphony Space (95th and Broadway). This is the place it has been for the last several years.

There will be different films on each of the two nights and as close as I can tel, all the films which won awards will be shown.

I'll be going both nights, and as in past years it would be nice if any VFTTers attending could get together after one of the shows for a few cold ones at The Dive Bar (96th & Amsterdam), a local dive bar. Let's go Wednesday unless there's an outcry to go Tuesday. Meet outside on the sidewalk. Normally you can tell hikers by their scruffy looks, but it seems like most of the Banff audience tends to that phenotype, so just look for me. I actually look like my avatar photo.

So put this on your calendars, and let's do it.

RSVP or discussion here ...

Last edited:
I'll definately be there Tues. Depending on work, I may show up for Wed as well.

I look like my avatar as well, look for my boots. My hiking buddy looks like the Lion in Wizard of Oz, unmistakeable.

See ya there around 7pm.

Last edited:
Glad to hear from you. I know of a few folks coming Wednesday, but so far you are the only one who has mentioned Tuesday.

If we don't make contact before, meet outside the theater after the show, on the Broadway side of the corner near the curb.

The link to the Film Menu seems to be broken at the moment, and I haven't found a better link.

Last edited:
What I don't understand is the one night showings have the same films except for 2.

What I saw of the NYC menu, Tues is the best of the films. I'll probably be there both nights anyway. I'm already feeling sick... at least my boss will think so.

Saw the Banff show at the Lafayette Theater. Those of you in NYC should make the trip out to Suffern at least once, because it has to be the coolest venue that I've ever seen for films. How can you beat an old fashioned single theater setup, complete with balconies and a screen curtain and of course, the mightly Wurlitzer organ that is player before the show and at intermission..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Theatre_(Suffern)

Anyway, Banff was good, I liked the Ski Mountaineering one the best, because it exemplifies why I go to Banff every year, it's a good film on somewhat ordinary people going to extreme and having fun in beautiful places. I also enjoyed the Crux one on trials biking.

Anyway, you will have fun! Campmor is no longer sponsoring it though, Ramsey Outdoor store seemed to be the sole sponsor for the Suffern showing... And you couldn't buy tickets at Campmor this year either.

Jay

Saw the Banff show at the Lafayette Theater. Those of you in NYC should make the trip out to Suffern at least once, because it has to be the coolest venue that I've ever seen for films. How can you beat an old fashioned single theater setup, complete with balconies and a screen curtain and of course, the mightly Wurlitzer organ that is player before the show and at intermission..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_Theatre_(Suffern)
Jay
Suffern? Where's that? Is that somewhere up state like near the Bronx? I was up to the Bronx once. :D :D

Exactly where to meet after the show?

Symphony Space

Click on the link above. (I love Google Street View, don't you?) See the crack in the sidewalk coming out from the middle of the theater doors to the curb? I'll stand right on that crack at the curb.

If you're slow and we get thirsty, go up to the Dive Bar and find us inside: Dive Bar

Last edited:
Last call

The films will screen Tuesday and Wednesday this week. Today (Monday) is, I think, the last day you can get discounted tickets at Paragon. Starting tomorrow all tickets revert to the box office and the price goes up to $24.

See you there.

Saw them in Lenox, both nights, different films.
I thought they were OUTSTANDING!