Bartlett's Carry: Upper to Middle Saranac

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hey'all
Am in the early stages of planning a trip with ColdFeet on the Saranac Lakes.

One question I have is...has anyone made the portage between Upper and Middle Saranac Lakes a little shorter by skirting around the dam on that channel rather than the half mile Bartlett's Carry?

Actually, from the maps it looks like it's on private land. Guess that answers my question, right?

Thanks.

Hey'all
Am in the early stages of planning a trip with ColdFeet on the Saranac Lakes.

One question I have is...has anyone made the portage between Upper and Middle Saranac Lakes a little shorter by skirting around the dam on that channel rather than the half mile Bartlett's Carry?

Actually, from the maps it looks like it's on private land. Guess that answers my question, right?

Thanks.
That would be a good guess. I know that if you drive in there from the highway the land along the road where you would be thinking of crossing is private. But carries of such moderate-short lengths don't get much easier than Bartlett's - just take the usual route.

Last edited:
No big deal

It's fairly short and easy - way shorter than the Upper to Middle (Weller Pond) carry. Cut it as short as you can. I did this circular loop in a day trip with a kayak some years back in May. Still had some snow on the long carry.

Thx Chris, I sent a pm to Al Bob with some questions....who hoo!

I'm much better this afternoon, thx.....

Indian Carry (edit - see post #13) follows a narrow public access dirt road to Upper Saranac Lake, whereas Bartlett Carry Road is a private road with no public access. The entire path of Bartlett Carry from Upper Saranac to the Mid-Saranac inlet is an easemant over private land, so you do have to do the entire half-mile carry. It's nearly all on a road and is easily done with a cart. On the final day of the 90-Miler race, there is a bagpiper playing on the height of land, but you'll be on your own in April - watch out for truck and car traffic on that carry! :eek:

Last edited:
On the final day of the 90-Miler race, there is a bagpiper playing on the height of land
Odd as it may be, there's something extremely motivating about hearing Bill's pipe music as you haul up the hill on the dirt road, out of breath and straining to reach the crest to stay a few steps ahead of that boat on your tail. Always something to look forward to, to help with the push onward, for me anyway.

Last edited:
Odd as it may be, here's something extremely motivating about hearing Bill's pipe music as you haul up the hill on the dirt road, out of breath and straining to reach the crest to stay a few steps ahead of that boat on your tail. Always something to look forward to, to help with the push onward, for me anyway.

Thank you for that insight.

Indian Carry Road is a narrow public access dirt road to Upper Saranac Lake, ...

Thanks ALG Bob...so one can actually drive right up to Upper Saranac Lake via the Indian Carry? I was under the impression that paddlers had to park on Route 3 and could only portage to the Lake...but you say it's an actual road?

Thanks.

Thanks ALG Bob...so one can actually drive right up to Upper Saranac Lake via the Indian Carry? I was under the impression that paddlers had to park on Route 3 and could only portage to the Lake...but you say it's an actual road?

Thanks.
There's even a small public parking area provided, just a few feet from the lake shore.

Thanks.

Yes, I just paddled that section last May. If traveling North from Stony Creek Ponds, Indian Carry begins as a footpath by an old sign on the shore of the northernmost pond and passes through a beautiful forest. The point where the carry trail meets Route 3 is labeled with a good, larger sign at the edge of the woods. After you cross Rt. 3, there is a small pull-off at roadside (not really a parking area) with a DEC sign that points down a narrow dirt road. That road is decent and driveable back to a good fishing access parking area by the put-in to Upper Saranac Lake.

Be sure you go to the DEC sign on Rte 3 pointing you to Indian Carry. It is confusing because there is another road directly across from Coreys Road, just 100 yards south of the DEC sign that is marked with a small a road sign: "Indian Carry". That road is in fact private, but not the one by the DEC sign that goes all the way to Upper Saranac where people can park.

Last edited:
Be sure you go to the DEC sign on Rte 3 pointing you to Indian Carry. It is confusing because there is another road, just 100 yards south of the DEC sign that has a road sign "Indian Carry". That road is in fact private, but not the one by the DEC sign that goes all the way to Upper Saranac where people can park.

Good point. You want the narrow dirt lane with the DEC sign that says "Indian Carry". The actual road near there called "Indian Carry Road" that is sort of opposite Coreys Road is private, and does not go where you want to be.
PS: I have a photo of that, and will look for it.

The Indian Carry canoe portage trail goes from Rt. 3 to Upper Saranac Lake on "OLD DOCK RD."!

2186868670071072332S425x425Q85.jpg

2222096610071072332S425x425Q85.jpg

Nessmuk and ALG Bob you guys are great! A wealth of information.

Hey Chris, I think we should invite these guys on our trip if they are around during that time and bring them some good old Long Island Bagels and maybe a drink or two!

Hey Chris, I think we should invite these guys on our trip if they are around during that time and bring them some good old Long Island Bagels and maybe a drink or two!

I'm all for it! Or maybe a large pizza with everything on it :D

It's fun to help out. The next time I plan to paddle through there sometime this spring is on yet another solo "Cannonball 90" (90-miler in a day).

It's fun to help out. The next time I plan to paddle through there sometime this spring is on yet another solo "Cannonball 90" (90-miler in a day).

Maybe when I buy my lightweight solo canoe. :cool: Did that route last May, but took 4 days.

Last edited: