Bay Circuit Trail - new article in AMC Outdoors

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
The new issue of AMC Outdoors includes an interesting article on the Bay Circuit Trail, which runs in a semicircle from Plum Island in Newbury to Bay Farm in Duxbury, between 128 and 495. Some of the history was new to me, such as the role of Benton MacKaye, better known as one of the creators of the Appalachian Trail. Tribute is rightly paid to Al French, who has done the most to realize the BCT over the last 20 years. Note is taken of the recent organizational change, with the AMC and the Trustees of Reservations taking on new roles.

Here is a link to the article.

Not quite, although it comes close as it passes through Lincoln and Wayland - a section with which I have had occasion to become especially familiar. Page 1 of the article includes a box with useful links, including to the BCT maps.

Thanks -- its the Lincoln section I'm thinking of -- I've passed it on bike rides -- it looks like it passes through some nice pastures.

:p

Thanks -- its the Lincoln section I'm thinking of -- I've passed it on bike rides -- it looks like it passes through some nice pastures.

:p

You may be thinking of North and South Fields, just off Rte. 126, through which the Lincoln section passes, or perhaps the farm fields across from the Codman Farm area that lead to Mt. Misery and then Farrar Pond. Lincoln volunteers are working on a project that may improve the Trail by moving it further from 126.

Any ideas on if they are dog friendly?

I don't own a dog, so am not the best source of definitive advice on that. I don't think any segment of the Lincoln Trail bars dogs, however. There are no Audubon parcels, for one thing. I think there is a leash requirement for at least part of the Trail through the Mt. Misery land, however, maybe just the section of it that goes through farm fields.

A piece of it passes through Concord, but not on the prettiest trails. Friends of mine did the whole thing in section a few years back, and I walked with them on the last piece.

A short portion passes through Walden Pond Reservation where dogs are prohibited. However, there is a bypass along Rte 126 if one wants to pass through.

Doug