Berry picker shot by bear hunter in VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
forestnome said:
As criminally negligent as this hunter was after the shooting, he certainly would not have fired if he knew it was a human, based on his reaction.

Yardsale makes an excellent point! Lets wear lots of orange when we are where the hunters are. I have an orange hat, gloves, shirt, and I attach orange to my pack. I found orange gaitors at Ragged Mountain Outfitters.

As Dave M. points out, this grunt is a rare minority among hunters, but this is precisely the type to avoid. Know where they are, and when they are there!!!

Thanks for the link.
As a Gun owner but not a hunter I was tuaght to be sure of what I am aiming at and to never fire my weapon unless I was positive I either had to or knew exactly what I was firing at. I find it hard to believe any one can mistake a human for game. Most Hunters I know are very responsible .
From reading the Artical the "hunter" knew he had shot some one and left him to die . Why did the hunter not get help. It is the few idiots like him that give hunting a bad name.
There is simply no excuse for the morons action and he should be held crimanlly liable . Why should the onus be on Non hunters while it is a good idea to wear orange the person firing the weapon has sole repsonsiblity no one else.

Last edited:
Thank You for the post. I had no idea hunting was allowed in WMNF. We are heading out this weekend and the thought of getting orange for the dog has never occurred to me for trips to the WMNF in the Fall. I will be getting some orange for my dog--even if it is highly unlikely we'll see any hunters!

As a (rather unsuccessful) hunter, I always err on the side of caution, which contributes to my lack of success. Most of my hunting has been in northern Maine where there are fewer deer, and I remember one instance when I had a doe permit and tracked a small group of deer into a stand of fir, and came upon one who moved into perfect position to be shot. Never having shot a deer before, I looked carefully to either side to be sure that if I missed I wouldn't hit anything I shouldn't, and then prepared to shoot. But I had to make one final check to make sure it was a deer (duh, it was right in front of me), that there were no people anywhere around, etc., and the time it took me to convince myself that it was safe to shoot was the time it took for that beautiful deer to move out of good shooting position and I lost it. So, to this day I still have not yet shot a deer. But, I haven't shot any people either.

Sadie said:
Thank You for the post. I had no idea hunting was allowed in WMNF. We are heading out this weekend and the thought of getting orange for the dog has never occurred to me for trips to the WMNF in the Fall. I will be getting some orange for my dog--even if it is highly unlikely we'll see any hunters!

Dick's, Cabela's, any large outdoor/hunting store should carry inexpensive nylon blaze orange vests for dogs. Call ahead to be sure.

Dick's, Cabela's, any large outdoor/hunting store should carry inexpensive nylon blaze orange vests for dogs. Call ahead to be sure.

I got one for like 2 bucks at Wally Mart in the hunting section, granted it was a human vest, but I trimmed it up to make a big bandana that tied around his neck and kind of lay on his back and used the rest to cover my pack.

I donno. Why risk taking a dog out at all during hunting season. Isn't it just asking for trouble, especially if the coloration resembles a deer!

Umsaskis said:
But I had to make one final check to make sure it was a deer (duh, it was right in front of me),

Nothing DUH about it actually. Believe it or not my buddy has a doozie of a story. Ya see when he was younger he lived in Colebrook NH. 3 MA men came up there to hunt for their first season. They pulled up to a field and found a bunch of "deer" just standing there. One guy shot and downed an animal. The three of them then spent a few hours trying to get the hulking carcass in the truck. Now, in case you dont know, the main road in Colebrook runs right through town, and of course they headed right for the check station. They got the strangest looks from the locals (of which there is many since there aint much to do up there for fun ;) .) If you havent figured it out yet they shot a farmers cow. They told the warden "They (the would be deer) we just standing there. I didnt even know it was a cow." Well, that turned out to be the most expensive deer they would EVER shoot!
Brian

RGF1 said:
From reading the Artical the "hunter" knew he had shot some one and left him to die . Why did the hunter not get help. It is the few idiots like him that give hunting a bad name.
There is simply no excuse for the morons action and he should be held crimanlly liable .

From the article, it appears that the grunt thought he shot a bear when he fired. Then, upon inspection of the scene he realized his grave mistake and ran away. I doubt he wanted to shoot a person.

The grunt absolutely deserves at least 20 years. I hope I did not give the impression that it was anyones' fault but his. I'm definately not one of those who spread blame from the criminal to the victim. The victim did nothing wrong, no matter where he was, or what he was wearing. Blame lies completely with this yahoo hunter. A hunter is supposed to not only clearly identify the species he is about to shoot, but only shoot if he has a CLEAN KILL SHOT!!! So, by this motto, to accidently shoot a person is impossible. This deserves at least 20 years.

RGF1 said:
. . .Why should the onus be on Non hunters while it is a good idea to wear orange the person firing the weapon has sole repsonsiblity no one else.

Well, nobody is putting the onus for the shooting in question here (berrypicker "mistaken" for bear and whacked, perp runs away). But the incident serves, perhaps, as a cautionary tale. It just makes good sense for a hiker (or berrypicker) to take reasonable precautions to avoid the known and obvious hazards of hunting season, just like it makes good sense to take precautions against the obvious hazards of cold weather or above-treeline hiking in virtually any season. It's a matter of taking responsibility and looking out for one's own safety and well-being. The old self-sufficiency thing that we all revere so much. That's all, and no more.

G.

Grumpy said:
Well, nobody is putting the onus for the shooting in question here (berrypicker "mistaken" for bear and whacked, perp runs away). But the incident serves, perhaps, as a cautionary tale. It just makes good sense for a hiker (or berrypicker) to take reasonable precautions to avoid the known and obvious hazards of hunting season, just like it makes good sense to take precautions against the obvious hazards of cold weather or above-treeline hiking in virtually any season. It's a matter of taking responsibility and looking out for one's own safety and well-being. The old self-sufficiency thing that we all revere so much. That's all, and no more.

G.
I should have been a bit more clear. that wearing bright orange is a good idea in some cases. I do have a relative who hunts we were talking about laws that made it mandatory for hunters to wear blaze orange. . One thing we thought about was that it might give some the idea that if the target is not blaze orang it is game. Most hunting accidents happen close to t either a road or a home. When a over zealous hunter shoots at whate ever moved that he thought was game . A number of years ago a woman was shot and killed by a over zealous hunter in her back yard while hanging cloths out this was in Maine . His excuse she had white mitens on and should have known better. Not the smartest thing to say to the law enforcement folks . :eek:
The differece in going above tre line in the winter and hiking during hunting season is that one knows or should know the dangers and of thier own volition goes above treeline. One does not deliberatly act or look like game druing hunting season . Second the hunter is creating the hazard by bringing a fire arim into the forest and using it . he is sole responsible for what he does with that weapon no on else. If they cannot positivly identify thier target they are not supposed to fire. A good hunter will wait untill he knows what he is firing at before he does so . Most hunters do this . A few nitwits really give them all a bad name . .
If we are to say well you were not wearing blaze orange so it is your fault you got shot we take resposnbilty away from the shooter. It is alwqys the responsiblity of the person firing a weapon to positiyl identify thier target .

RGF1 said:
His excuse she had white mitens on and should have known better. Not the smartest thing to say to the law enforcement folks . :eek:
Except, IIRC, he was acquitted of any charges.
If we are to say well you were not wearing blaze orange so it is your fault you got shot we take resposnbilty away from the shooter. It is alwqys the responsiblity of the person firing a weapon to positiyl identify thier target .
Hunters in NH are not required to wear Blaze Orange, they are encouraged to do so. I don't think anyone is saying that hikers who don't wear blaze orange are negligent or contribute to any potential incident in any way. It's the same as walking across a street when you have the right-of-way, it'd still pays to look both ways. The hunter still has the ultimate responsibility to identify his/her target and know exactly what they are shooting at, orange or no orange. But since that doesn't always happen, would you like to stack the odds in your favor if you can?

-dave-

David Metsky said:
The hunter still has the ultimate responsibility to identify his/her target and know exactly what they are shooting at, orange or no orange.

I absolutely agree with this statement. The only comment that I would add is that the hunter (yes, I did hunt at one time) is also responsible not only for identifying his game properly but, just as important, is what his backstop is.

Also lets not forget that probably 120,000 hunters (real number should be much higher) went into the woods hunting today and absolutely nothing happened, will never be news.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I absolutely agree with this statement. The only comment that I would add is that the hunter (yes, I did hunt at one time) is also responsible not only for identifying his game properly but, just as important, is what his backstop is.

Also lets not forget that probably 120,000 hunters (real number should be much higher) went into the woods hunting today and absolutely nothing happened, will never be news.

Keith

I also agree with Mr. Metsky. I have never been a hunter but have been involved in weapons handling on rifle ranges and also been in charge of firers on ranges. The weapon handler is ultimately responsible for the firing of that weapon on an identified target.

This is a tragic event which can make any hiker angry. However, I know some hunters who are angered by this as well. This irresponsible jerk is in no way indicitive of hunting. Keith makes the point that the vast majority of hunters are responsible and realize as well as respect the danger of the weapons they carry. This, I also agree with.

Last edited:
RGF1 said:
. . . If we are to say well you were not wearing blaze orange so it is your fault you got shot we take resposnbilty away from the shooter. It is alwqys the responsiblity of the person firing a weapon to positiyl identify thier target .

Nobody has even remotely, obliquely, directly or otherwise suggested that failure to wear blaze orange on the part of the hiker (berrypicker in this case) makes him to blame for getting shot. That would be and is an absurd proposition. All that has been suggested here is that people (including hikers and berrypickers) take some reasonable precautions during hunting season, for the sake of their own safety. Nothing more and nothing less. There is no reason to take issue with such a suggestion. There is plenty of good reason to endorse it.

G.

Grumpy said:
Nobody has even remotely, obliquely, directly or otherwise suggested that failure to wear blaze orange on the part of the hiker (berrypicker in this case) makes him to blame for getting shot. That would be and is an absurd proposition. All that has been suggested here is that people (including hikers and berrypickers) take some reasonable precautions during hunting season, for the sake of their own safety. Nothing more and nothing less. There is no reason to take issue with such a suggestion. There is plenty of good reason to endorse it. G.

I should have continued in saying that I absolutely agree also that wearing blaze orange during hunting season makes as much sense as wearing a seat belt when you are a passenger in a car. While the situation might not be totally under your control, if the worst happens (some idiot picks you as a target) it may be just enough to sway the situation in your favor.

Just like motorcycle riders. The good ones drive defensively all the time. Because they know that physics trumps the written law every time. :D

Keith

Is there hunting allowed in high peaks area. I still want to do indian pass and duck hole by way of tahawas this fall. I also want to do lower wolfe jaw next weekend.

I think that anyone who "shoots" at anything without identifying it first is a idiot. How can anyone take something as serious as shooting a gun that lightly. Then to walk away and not help? I hope he gets life. Good for his uncle for turning him in. I would turn my own brother in for being that cowardly.

FWIW

In New Hampshire it is NOT required to wear Hunter Orange (as already stated), but is a VERY smart idea (again as already stated.) Most bowhunters dont wear it at all, which I as a bowhunter still question why not.

Quite a few accidents happen with people who know each other (i.e. 2 buddies go out hunting together, one sits a stand and the other goes off, get lost, wanders back into his buddies general area and buddie makes big mistake.)

It is both a moral duty and New Hampshire LAW to give assistance to anyone you wound in the field (you are even required ta aid the person even if you didnt injury him and just happened upon said person.) You are better off to admit your mistake and give assistance than have the cops knocking on your door some time later with a warrent for manslaughter.

Ive only been a hunter for about 4 years now. Ive gotten my first deer, so I feel I have nothing to prove to anyone. I now take a more laid back approach and am willing to let anything that is even remotly questionable pass. I as a hunter and ALL hunters owe it to our game, sport, and fellow woods sharers, to be as responsible an caring as can be. Just like hiking our actions reflect upon the general public, who we depend upon greatly for many things (like trail access.) With all that said I must say that hikers hunters and all woods wise people are some of the greatest Ive ever met. Wether its hiking a lonely trail and starting an innocent conversation with another hiker youve never met before, or to heavily armed men in camo meeting in the woods for the first time and sharing tips on the scrape line over the next ridge. Lets see THAT on the streets of New York City :eek: :D .
Brian

Brain I should have been more clear we were talking about laws in gerneral not NH but it was proposed in NH.
Sorry about the confusion in MA it is mandatory .
Also I did want to sat that one youpull the trigger you cannot bring the bullet back.
Ultimatly it is the shooter who bears full responsbilty, to both identify and have a clear and as FN noteed clean kill shot .
to do other wise is slob hunting as it is called in the hunter lexicon .
My family owns wood land we have banned huniting due ot slob hunters and a pet was shot he thought a cat was a deer ok nitwit . Yes he was drunk yes he is serving time in the state prison . No he was not from out of state . Yes our property is posted as NO HUNTING .

We never had a cow shot on our farm, but the story about the city hunters shooting a cow has been around for a long time. Neighbors have had a horse shot by spotlighting deer jackers(who rank amoung the worst scum on the earth), who shoot at the reflection of the animals eyes. Unfortunatly for the horse, and countless deer, all the jackers can see is the eyes. Fortunatly, these types don't get off the road and into the woods.