best 4k's for kids?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAJZHike

Reaction score
What are some of the better 4's for kids? We have a 5 and 7 year old and have done Cannon and Hale so far this year and would like some input on trails with similar conditions / difficulty. Thanks, Mark

Just to get you started.

You might look at:

Waumbek - nice gradual grade and cool view from former cabin site on Starr King.

Tecumseh - from the ski area base, one of the easier ones, nice views, with option for loop down via ski trail.

Osceoloa - from Tripoli Rd, gradual climb, not too long, cool views from former tower site. Just don't tell them there's another 4K further along the trail that you climb down a chimney to reach!

Hope that gives you some ideas . . .

Last edited:
Hiking with the kids

Wow...I always thought of Cannon as a tough one (short and steep), those are strong young hikers you have there!
I would suggest Osceola from Tripoli Road (adding East Osceola certainly makes it a lot tougher in my opinion.) Also, Tecumseh has pretty nice grades.
If you want to up your mileage a bit and still have a nicely graded trail consider Pierce (via Crawford), Eisenhower (via Edmands Path (a lot of exposure near the end), or Waumbek (via Starr King.)
Great job getting the kids out! We are taking our 2 1/2 year old son camping for the first time this weekend and he (and we) are pretty excited.

Hope this was a help...

Likewise on Zealand. There is one pull from the hut up to Zeacliff, otherwise it's not bad, and there are at least several interesting "break" points to relieve any monotony setting in--the bridges, hut, falls, Zeacliff, etc. Just watch out that if the kids get ahead of you that they don't go sailing on by the turnoff to Zealand summit proper (which is a bit of a letdown of course).

I was surprised at what a casual hike it is up to Flume via the Osseo Trail. It has the added interest of a ladder if the kids are ready for that kind of challenge.

Kids 4K

My duaghter and I did Zealand when she was four - It was great. That was in three days. We hiked in to Zealand Falls area and camped, then went up and back the next day, sans gear. We camped that night in the same place and then hiked out.

My son and I did Mt. Hale when he was five and Carrigan when he was six. Both seem good choices.

Hale we did in two days - We camped down below Zealand Hut and went over the next day.

Carrigan also was two days, we camped at the base, near Stillwater Junction, (I thnk it was a while ago) and then went up and over the next day. That was a bit tougher for him, but not a big problem.

Peace

Rev-T

MAJZHike said:
What are some of the better 4's for kids? We have a 5 and 7 year old and have done Cannon and Hale so far this year and would like some input on trails with similar conditions / difficulty. Thanks, Mark

Since you do not live in NH, I will mention the 'easy' ones in New York:

Cascade/Porter - 6 miles for both, about 4.5 for just one (same approach)
Hunter - Short and steep (2.2 miles 1 way), but there are other approaches
Slide - A little longer, but starts higher, not as steep

Also, In my opinion, all 5 of the VT 4K hikes are fairly easy...

Last year did Moosilake(sp?) and cannon with my then 6 and 8 yrs old daughters. They both thought they were not hard. Only thing they did not care for was the high winds on top of Moosilake and of course the car ride home. Did Techumsa (sp) the year before.

Planning this year to do the Kinsmans, Oceolas and maybe Jefferson (caps ridge) If I can sneak a few more in that would be a bonus.

Re Hikes with the kids

My kids and myself have hiked alot...finished the 100 Highest when my daughter was 8..a couple of years ago. There are tons of great peaks out there.

I personally didn't care for the Kinsmans...up and down and up and down...My kids didn't care for it either. Their favorite was Moosilauke.

Cabot was easy. The summit is treed but we saw views on the way up. Osceola was my daughter's first mountain. It was nice. We didn't go to the other peak that day. We saved it for another day. Didn't want to overwhelm her on the first time up a 4000 footer.

We made the mistake of doing Owl's Head on our 3rd time out. Not a good idea. Even though it is flat for a good part of it, the kids didn't appreciate the 18 miles of walking even if we did it as an overnighter.

Garfield was nice but a little long...it was a gradual up till the top. It has great views too! My kids love views and are very motivated by that.

We did Jefferson from Caps Ridge and continued to do the loop over Adams and Madison. Caps Ridge made me nervous. It was rocky and steep to me. The rocks and gaps seemed big to me for my little girl and it was very windy the day we did it. I was glad we were not going down it.

If there is any other info I can help yo with, email me. I kept notes on all our peaks. It was the best time for me and the kids. They got really excited when they saw how many peaks we did and how many we had left....they started getting after me to get out there. I'm always glad to see others get out there with their kids. Have fun hiking!

Pierce, Jackson and maybe Eisenhower are all reasonable choices; moderate grade and mileage. Pierce and Jackson can be done together with a stay at Mitzpah if that appeals to you. I have done several hut trips with my daughter and she has enjoyed them. The Franconia Ridge loop in good weather is also a possiblity. The rocks and falls keep kids entertained up the steep Falling Waters trail and the rest is pretty easy; if you stay at the hut the distance is not that long and the second day is easy. I would avoid really long ones; young kids get either tired or bored.

I have heard good things about Cabot too but it is a long drive.

The Sikes said:
I personally didn't care for the Kinsmans...up and down and up and down...My kids didn't care for it either. Their favorite was Moosilauke.

I did the Kinsman's the up and down way (Fishin' Jimmy) last week...others on the trail told me that the Mount Kinsman Trail is a lot easier in that regard. There are some great views from the summit areas and the distances are reasonable.

Another vote for Moosilauke. Use the Gorge Brook Trail, Carriage Road is mostly cobble and difficult walking, up and down. I tend to turn a lot of ankles on Carriage Road. Gorge Brook is beautiful, you follow the brook 1/2-3/4 of the way up. Top of Moosilauke is beautiful. Grass blowing in wind looks like ocean waves. But beware, it is always very windy on top and wind chill is always an issue. A must see. Mount Garfield via Garfield Trail is also relatively easy and protected except for the last couple tenths of a mile.

I would say any mountain I have been able to do with my son on my back you should be able to handle with a 5/7 year old. Here is the list so far (ordered by ease)

Tecumseh - Nice even grade to the summit. Wooded.

Hale (via Hale brook) - Excellently maintained trails. 1 tough water crossing.
Beautiful gorge/cascades. Summit is short on views, but would make a nice place for lunch on a sunny day.

Pierce - Crawford path makes a nice trip up. Oldest maintained path in the country. The views are good, but not amazing.

Moosilauke - I did this as a loop from Tripoli Road. I would avoid the Beaver Brook trail, as it has ladders and such. Carriage road is probably the easiest way up. The summit has great exposure, and awesome views.

Eisenhower - This is the hardest of the lot, and I would put it off till your kids have some experience, but it is do-able. I used the Edmund's path, throwing in Pierce, and coming down Crawford's. An up-and-back on Edmund's would probably be do-able, and you would get some seclusion, as I don't think this path is used heavily. The summit has significant exposure.

-percious

Once you take them over timberline - they will be hooked. My vote is Eisenhower. But remmeber, it will be more difficult to do peaks like Tecumseh & Waumbek then. They might like the idea of staying in Greenleaf Hut and doing Lafayette & Lincoln.

Thanks so much for all the great feedback. We are anxiously awaiting the last day of school so we can start out on the many adventures we have planned for this summer! :D

The kids bagged #3 Saturday. After all the sugestions we decided on Mousilauke via gourge brook / snapper / carrage rd. trails. The kids loved it despite the rainy weather. They both agreed it was the easiest so far for them and loved the fact they were taller than the trees!! I think we will try Zealand next. Thanks again for all of the input!!!