Best route for the Carters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaiagirl

Reaction score
I am hoping to get out Friday and bag the Carters (if I get over this evil cold I've been dealing with for a week :( !!!) and I'm wondering if Nineteen Mile Brook to Carter Dome, to Carter-Moriah and back out is the best way given conditions, or if something else would make more sense. I'm expecting snow, obviously, but I'm also wondering if maybe there could be some wet snow with ice beneath in places. I'm guessing that snowshoes are a must, but not sure about crampons. Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated. I would also accept Vitamin C in any form if it was available .... :D lol.

Thanks to all in advance,

All 4 peaks of Carter Dome and Mt. Hight, South & Middle Carter?

Best route I'd recommend without a car spot is up 19 Mile to the Notch, up the Dome, over Mt Hight, through Zeta Pass, over South & Middle, then back to Zeta Pass and down Carter Dome Trail to 19 Mile.

If you don't mind an uphill road walk at the end, instead of backtracking after Middle Carter continue on to the North Carter Trail, down to the north branch of the Imp Trail, which will take you over a spectacular lookout. You can skip the lookout and reduce your road walk by coming down the south branch of the Imp Trail.

MichaelJ said:
All 4 peaks of Carter Dome and Mt. Hight, South & Middle Carter?

Best route I'd recommend without a car spot is up 19 Mile to the Notch, up the Dome, over Mt Hight, through Zeta Pass, over South & Middle, then back to Zeta Pass and down Carter Dome Trail to 19 Mile.

If you don't mind an uphill road walk at the end, instead of backtracking after Middle Carter continue on to the North Carter Trail, down to the north branch of the Imp Trail, which will take you over a spectacular lookout. You can skip the lookout and reduce your road walk by coming down the south branch of the Imp Trail.
Do you know the estimated mileage for that hike? I am thinking of hiking there in mid november.
kmac

MichaelJ said:

You can reduce the road walk to 1/4 mile by taking a shortcut through Camp Dodge. When the Southern Imp Trail takes a sharp right heading north, look for field on your right. The trail will then cross an old logging road at the beginning of the field. Take a left onto the logging road and in about 20 or 30 yards you will begin to see the buildings at Camp Dodge. Follow the driveway to Route 16. The 19 Mile Trailhead is about ¼ mile south.

I did this last winter, but reversed the trip. We parked at 19 Mile Trail and hiked the 1/4 mile to Camp Dodge and picked up the southern Imp Trail to the ridge.

Last edited:
Our group of three recently did it as follows:
1. Dropped Razor scooter at 19 Mile Brook trailhead. Hid it behind rocks.
2. Drove to Imp. Hiked up Imp, etc. and came down 19 Mile Brook Trail.
3. Took razor scooter from 19 Mile Brook to Imp - about 1.3 miles.

This worked out GREAT. It's mostly a gradual downhill ride from 19 Mile to Imp and I completed it in no time. You could also use a bike, of course.
Marty

Thanks everyone for the excellent advice and feedback. Since I haven't yet purchased snowshoes, and am waiting until a new employee discount kicks in, I may need to re-schedule my Carters attempt, but I just don't know yet. Sounds like snowshoes are absolutely required given what I've heard about conditions (40 inches at the hut this morning). I suppose I could rent for the day, but I might just do something a bit more well-traveled or something at lower elevation but still a nice long workout. I'm open to suggestions from those who know more than I do about winter conditions and about current conditions, as well.
Thanks Again :D ,

Well, if you don't have snowshoes on your feet, don't try to go up there. It would be ... bad. :(

But ... lower elevations and more southern areas seem to have significantly less snowfall. Check out conditions on the peaks of the Sandwich Range and see how they're doing.

Thanks Michael,
I knew this of course, just trying to think positive ... or something!!! :confused:
I guess I am just going to have to consult with my supervisor and get myself a pair of snowshoes with my handy new discount TOMORROW! ... or else!! :eek: This year will not be like most of last winter, it seems .... not by a longshot.

carters

Solitary Hiker said:
The route MichaelJ states is just shy of 13 miles (+ the 1.5 roadwalk).
Thanks for the mileage, I'm thinking of making it a 2 day hike.
kmac

Kmac,

If there is in fact enough snow on the ground to melt into drinking water, there are open woods and fine camping locations up near the summit of South Carter on the west side of the trail.

gaiagirl: You might want to take a look at this post (#6) by 'Breeze' regarding the parking situation.

I already checked it out, Carole, but thanks for pointing it out. I am definitely thinking we'll be doing something with a bit less elevation and something more frequented like possibly Crawford Path to Pierce and Eisenhower, hopefully. Seems like it would be a better bet after all the snow we've had up high. Thanks Again :) ,