Bigelow question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robs

Reaction score
For the Bigelow hike up fire warden's tr, they say you have to cross a brook and to be careful that it's not flowing too hard. What does that mean? How would it be this time of year?
Thanks,
Rob S

I've done the Bigelows 3 times, always in the fall via that trail, and don't recall it ever being a problem.

Thanks for the advice. If I go up warden, catch avery peak and then go to west peak and across the ridge to the horns pond, is that a nice place to stay for the night? Does it cost anything? Can I make a campfire (assuming the fire condition warning thing isn't high)?

I was on the Bigelows this weekend. The stream crossings on Fire Warden are no problem. It's a bit muddy here and there, though.

Horns Pond is a nice place, no fee, no fires.

Fall color?

I was on the Bigelows this weekend. The stream crossings on Fire Warden are no problem. It's a bit muddy here and there, though.

Horns Pond is a nice place, no fee, no fires.

Are the leaves mostly still on the trees up there?

I'm thinking about a Abraham, Spaudling, Sugarloaf, Reddington trip but I'd like to hike someplace where the leaves are mostly still on the trees.

Are the leaves mostly still on the trees up there?

I'm thinking about a Abraham, Spaudling, Sugarloaf, Reddington trip but I'd like to hike someplace where the leaves are mostly still on the trees.

My wife and I estimated that half the leaves were down in nearby Rangeley last weekend. They will continue to fall at a good clip each day. Stay further south if you are looking for lots of leaves on the trees.

Marty

Are the leaves mostly still on the trees up there
I found the views more than satisfactory; there was plenty of colour. But that was looking down into the valleys--certainly not much left above 3000'--and the whole way up had a solid carpet. As Marty points out, it will be changing rapidly, too. I actually found the view towards Flagstaff Lake far more chromatic than across to Sugarloaf.

Fire Wardens Trail

I made a loop over the Bigelows and used this trail in my descent. There was no water hazards. I did it in Sept. I did see l alot of moose. The sections of the trail are steep and slippery.

Here is a photo of the Stratton Brook crossing on the Fire Warden Trail. This was taken back on August 22, 2005. Hope this helps. If you view the album beyond that photo you will continue up Avery, back over to West, the two Horns, Horns Pond and out with the AT south to complete the loop. Times, elevations & mileages are in the captions of the photos. Did it as a dayhike.

Last edited:
That looks about right. We were there the next day. That crossing is only about 10 min from the trail head. No need for gaiters. The trail on the long plateau after the first serious rise in elevation was the muddy part, but most of that was bridged with split logs.

Horns Pond

Thanks for the advice. If I go up warden, catch avery peak and then go to west peak and across the ridge to the horns pond, is that a nice place to stay for the night? Does it cost anything? Can I make a campfire (assuming the fire condition warning thing isn't high)?

The MATC caretaker for Horns Pond is likely done for the year. There is a nice big leanto, and a small day hiker leanto. Privy is very nice. Fires are not permitted there in the summer due to the high use and fragility of the area, so act accordingly. In the summer there was no cost to camp or stay in the leanto. My last overnight there was the end of August as part of an AT section hike.

There are Brook Trout in Horns Pond......:D