Biking Lincoln Woods Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwood

Reaction score
I was thinking of biking in the old railroad bed, Lincoln Woods Trail up to Bondcliff Trail. Has anyone done this? Is it safe to leave bikes (secured of course) somewhere on or off trail for a few days? Comments, suggestions, ideas, stories?

Thanks,
Redwood

You can only ride your bike three miles up to the wilderness boundry. It is well marked and there is a river crossing right after it, so don't worry about missing it. From there, you have to hoof it a couple of miles to the start of the Bondcliff Trail. I have never done this, but it is done occasionally and I have never heard of a problem with it.

People do it all the time. I'd stash a bike in the woods out of site, and lock it up even though I haven't heard of anyone getting a bike stolen. It really makes the miles fly by, the Bonds can easily be done in a day this way. I've had thoughts of knocking bikers off their bikes as they fly past me on the way out after a long day. :)

Caveat: If you are bagging the Bonds for your 4000'er list you aren't allowed to use your bikes according to the rules.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Caveat: If you are bagging the Bonds for your 4000'er list you aren't allowed to use your bikes according to the rules.

buzzkill. :)

Hey Dave, I did do the Bonds the "legal way" back in '95. It's my hiking partner that will have to make this call since it is his first time at the attempt, bikes or no bikes... Thanks for the helpful info...

Redwood
100/100

Note that there are a few spots where the old wooden railroad ties will rattle your fillings out unless you get right on the edge of the trail where it's smooth.

Given the time to load and unload the bike from the car, as well as stash it safely in the woods, for the short mileage to the Wilderness boundary it might be a break-even. If you do this, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on that.

MichaelJ said:
Note that there are a few spots where the old wooden railroad ties will rattle your fillings out unless you get right on the edge of the trail where it's smooth.
In low water you can ride the gravel road on the E side to the campsite and wade/rockhop across.

Back when it was legal, I rode a 3-speed up the E side to Thoreau Falls Trail and back the W side, taking one spill and lifting a few places. Yes, the miles do fly by that way.

MichaelJ said:

Let me be the first one to welcome you to the full-suspension age, Mike. :)

Those old ties don't rattle you as much when you have 4 inches of travel in the back, and 5 inches of travel up front.

chomp said:
Let me be the first one to welcome you to the full-suspension age, Mike. :)

I've got a hard rear axle, only about 1" of suspension in the seat, and a couple inches of front bike fork suspension in the front (Judy II on a Fisher Presidio). I guess I'll stick to the walk. :)

Last edited:
Very recommendable! I have a 20 year old Diamond Back that is absolutely worthless to a theif, therefore perfect. I just stash it in the woods. It is most definately a time saver. I hiked the Bonds last Saturday. I only go about 10 miles an hour, but that gets me out to the wilderness boundary in a half hour. On the way out, it's mostly coasting.

I like this option because it makes longer dayhikes possible. Give hikers on the trail plenty of notice before you pass them, and beware of other bikers passing you! Last time, I was buzzed by two bikers who had to show how much cooler they were.

Mine was stolen

Back in the 80s I used to do hike rides a lot. On one of mine I placed my bike (not locked) in the woods near the old parking area in Jefferson Notch. I stashed it around 3:30 AM. While I was quietly walking it into the woods I heard some movement in a pickup with a cap and a lantern on the ground in back. It was quiet and my boots were making loud crunching in the gravel. But I took the bike quite a way into the woods anyway. I then drove down to the parking lot near the Inn Unique and did the Davis Path to Boote Spur, across the Camel to Crawford Path to Lakes. Then Westside to Jefferson and down to where my bike was stashed. When I got there my bike was gone and so was the pickup. Luckily I had passed a woman on the way down who gave me a ride back to my car. Man was I bummed. On the trips that were without incident let me tell you, it is a blast riding a bike down out of Nawford'as Crotch with Limmers and a summer pack.