Black Fly Schedule in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksearl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been hiking as much lately with a little one at home and one on the way. However, one hike I never miss is one that my buddy and I typically schedule in early May. We consider it a therapeutic hike...A way to get out of winter mode, forget the rat race and enjoy the mountains like we used to do more often. Anyway, we always miss the black flies up north because we typically go the first week in May. This year, due to conflicts, we're looking at the 16th of May for a hike day. I noticed the black flies out in my home town near the seacoast and I'm now concerned we'll hit them dead on up north on the 16th. We'll probably hike in the Conway or Crawford Notch area.

Can anyone with more experience/expertise on the black fly migration tell me if I should be concerned about timing and their arrival in the Whites? Is it possible or likely we'll beat them up there???

Please let me know and thanks in advance!

Karl

The usual mantra is they arrive near Mothers day and depart around fathers day. I would guess the late season may delay them so you might get lucky.

Karl,

After twenty plus years of always hiking the Whites the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day weekend, not one blackfly bite to date. Occasionally, on warmer, sunny days we may pass through small clusters of the buggers but they're not chomping. Relax - have a great trip!

I'm with HH1. I've heard the season is Memorial Day to Independence Day, basically June with tails into May and July. Camping at Nancy Pond in mid-June 2009, cooking dinner was torture. The moment the stove was off, I retreated to the tent to eat. And then spent many minutes swatting them from the inside of the tent. The saving grace is that they are slow to react. So greater than 50% of swats are effective.

-Rich

Memorial Day two years ago I got eaten alive by relentless swarms on the Moats, though friends on various other peaks reported bug-free conditions, so I'd say that considering them to be *somewhere* by Mem Day weekend as the start is probably a good idea.

A number of years ago, we had a very warm spell very early (Feb ?) which resulted in a wave of black flies. After a while, it cooled down to more normal temps and they disappeared. Then we had a second wave with the normal spring warm-up.

Moral: There may be rules of thumb about the insect seasons, but they will occasionally be broken.

Black flies breed in cold flowing (ie snowmelt) water and mosquitoes breed in warm stagnant water. Whenever these conditions are met, they are likely to appear in large numbers.

Doug

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. I'm feeling a bit more relaxed about it now but will be ready for them regardless!

Karl

One strategy I've seen used successfully is to track/predict the "wave" of bf's. What I mean is that BF hatching usually starts in the south and works it's way north. In Maine highlands for example, the BF season starts and ends late, of course. So ostensibly one could "leapfrog" the bf's by going north early, then going south late. You have to pay attention to the bf reports that hikers return with in order for this strategy to work. Of course, these are all generalizations and the amount of precip and drainage will vary from year to year. If you absolutely, positively have to hike during BF season, try to pick a trail that is mostly above treeline. I always have my head net with me.

On a tangent, BF's come straight at your eyes for some reason. I alleviate most of the BF eye shots by wearing glasses. That doesn't stop but it minimizes the crawlers.
I hate BF season. Makes the skeeters seem like wimps! :)

New to black flys and heading to the whites in June. What is preferred hiking gear for black flys? Out west during mosquito season it's light colored long sleeves and long pants and deer and a head net. Are black flys as bad while hiking or more so while in camp? Most of the whites are above tree line could this help with keeping the flys to just a subtle nuisance? Thanks

My $0.02

New to black flys and heading to the whites in June. What is preferred hiking gear for black flys? Out west during mosquito season it's light colored long sleeves and long pants and deer and a head net. Are black flys as bad while hiking or more so while in camp? Most of the whites are above tree line could this help with keeping the flys to just a subtle nuisance? Thanks

Well, I hike a lot, but there are no definitive answers. You'll find a lot of broad sweeping generalizations, but truth is, every year is different, every body is different, you just have to be ready to deal with it. BF's are BF's, east or west. :mad:

If you've never experienced BF's,you're in for an experience. They head for every orifice on the human body. Nothing worse than one up your nose, ears and eyes.

I've heard a lot about white clothing for flying bugs and ticks, but I only find the light colored clothes good only for seeing the suckers. For me, color doesn't seem to matter. I put elastics around the bottom of the pants and shirts if it's bad. Long sleeves and pants are essential, and for me, a headnet is crucial. Just a hat is suicidal, they just seem to crawl up the bottom, but it makes you feel better to swish it around. I've had hit or miss luck with repellants.

For me, the BF's can be just as bad at camp as they are on the trail. While White Mts. summits are mostly all above the treeline, a good chunk of your hike is below treeline, which is where they kill you. Then again, I've been swarmed by them on top, unless there is a very stiff breeze (which is often chilly that time of year). Somtimes hiking up the north face of a mountain helps, given the prevailing winds.

Even the wildlife suffer from them. Sometimes I simply give up and do something else. If it's simply not enjoyable, why do it? It really can get that bad. :( But don't be discouraged, I get out too, but frankly, I avoid late may and June in the whites. Sorry....

Fore me, bug dope works pretty good for mosquitoes. Just don't use deodorant the day of the hike.

My $0.02. Everyone's experience varies.

Last edited:
What does it take to kill them, like two or three days of 90+ weather?

I once DEETed up everything, forgetting my ears... then hiked up Glen Boulder. By the time I finished, I had over 50 bites on my ears, and I looked like I'd just been beaten up by Mike Tyson. Worst pain ever.

What does it take to kill them, like two or three days of 90+ weather?

For starters, when days are excessively hot, the adults just go into a shady spot and hang out under the leaves (so go hike then ;) ) And don't forget their eggs and larve are hanging out in some cool stream just waiting to grow wings and bite. Some studies have shown that a sustained number of days at 110 to 130 F in an enclosed space will do the trick. It's mostly greenhouse owners who are interested in that solution. We have too many variables in our environment. You can freeze them easier than baking them.