Bondcliff Trail/Guyot Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
I was sorting through my photos recently and came across one that I just love:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2868742430104319334lLISuQ

This is taken from the wonderful unnamed peak on Bondcliff Trail .8 mile south of the Twinway junction. My hiking friend, Hufflepuff, and I set out for this peak at the end of July, just because she had never been there. What a wonderful peak it is, in the middle of the Pemi Wilderness with 360 degree views.

I believe that in the photo above we have from left to right:

Bemis, Nancy, Anderson, Lowell, Vose Spur and Carrigain (please correct me if I am wrong)

This special peak needs a name. How about "James" Bond?? To make a Bond grouping of James, West, Mt. and Bondcliff. Or maybe South Guyot might be a better choice. Does anyone know if it has an informal name?

It is a beautiful spot and definitely worth hiking to.

Ummm...

correct me if I'm wrong, but that is Mt. Guyot. You labeled the others correctly. :) .6 miles south of the Twinway junction is Guyot Shelter.

KDT

The junction is on Guyot's north peak. Guyot's south peak is 0.1 south of that.

0.8 south of the junction is south of the Guyot shelter, i.e. on Mt Bond, at the northern false summit (~4660')... on the satellite maps you can see the trail, so there should be some views over the krummholz, though I don't recall them . Bond's summit would block a southward view but you should be able to see southeast - a view including Bemis through Carrigain seems reasonable. I can't see the photo right now so not sure if everything lines up correctly.

Last edited:
The next two photos show Guyot's south peak (the one with the big cairn), no question. #3 is definitely shot from the north (you can see West Bond behind it) and I think #2 is too. So if the photos are in order and/or #1 was taken from the same spot (check the time stamps on the original digital photos), you were on or near Guyot's summit (north peak), not on Bond.

I was there this summer and a couple of winters ago and vote for "False" Bond. In the winter on a snow pack, there are great views from there. I believe number 3 is looking north at the Twins. Wouldn't the Bonds have more recognizable stuff in the background.

I believe that in the photo above we have from left to right:

Bemis, Nancy, Anderson, Lowell, Vose Spur and Carrigain (please correct me if I am wrong).

Looking at the new post, I wondered what had happened to my post on your summit ID question, but see that you asked it twice, here and in a TR. (Relieved to know I'm not losing more of my mind. :)) As I said there, assuming this was taken from what one website calls the "north subpeak of Mt. Bond," I agree with your IDs. I'm curious what people think about the distant peaks in your photo. I would hazard, for two:

- Between Vose Spur and Lowell - Bartlett Haystack

- Between Anderson and Nancy - No. Moat.

Looking at the new post, I wondered what had happened to my post on your summit ID question, but see that you asked it twice, here and in a TR. (Relieved to know I'm not losing more of my mind. :)) As I said there, assuming this was taken from what one website calls the "north subpeak of Mt. Bond," I agree with your IDs. I'm curious what people think about the distant peaks in your photo. I would hazard, for two:

- Between Vose Spur and Lowell - Bartlett Haystack

- Between Anderson and Nancy - No. Moat.
When in doubt try:

http://heywhatsthat.com

It has tons of peaks already loaded and you can create a view from anywhere you like.

assuming this was taken from what one website calls the "north subpeak of Mt. Bond,"
It was not, at least not from the trail. I've been there many times. There are views through the shrubbery but no open rock like that. Looks like Bond to me, another quarter mile or so south.