Bonds Traverse + Zealand (it's on the way), 1/8/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
January 8, 2011: Bonds Traverse plus Zealand

Trails: Zealand Road, Zealand Trail, Twinway, Bondcliff Trail, West Bond Spur, Wilderness Trail

Summits: Zealand Mountain, Mount Guyot, West Bond, Mt. Bond, Bondcliff

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue), Brian, Greg, Jim, and me

We started the day at Lincoln Woods – early. The sky was completely clear with a billion stars all around, and I had an Eagles tune playing in my head. Sue and I were waiting for Brian and Greg. The plan was to leave our vehicle at Lincoln Woods and pile into his and head to the winter lot on Route 302 in Twin Mountain where we planned to meet Jim. From there we would do a north-south traverse. This hike is a good one under nearly any conditions but we had a clear sky which created some extra excitement to start the day. A set of headlights appeared. We were ready to jump into action and move our things from the truck to Brian’s car. False alarm – it was the local Police. I really appreciate the way they regularly patrol the Lincoln Woods area. I’m very comfortable leaving a vehicle there. Soon, another set of lights – here we go!

We moved our things and took off for Twin Mountain. At the winter lot on Route 302 we found Jim patiently waiting and ready to hike. We wasted little time getting our things together, our headlights out and on, and set off for Lincoln Woods. We had clear sky, calm wind, and the official temperature at the local National Weather Service site was -2 degrees – tough to beat these conditions.

First, we had a 3.5 mile road walk along Zealand Road. In winter, Zealand Road becomes multi-use; currently, the first mile is plowed for access to a logging operation, much of the middle mile is a snowmobile trail, and the remainder is a hiking trail providing access to Zealand Trail. We were able to bareboot our way along Zealand Road. The others were moving faster than me but that’s no big surprise. I did my best to keep up and we all re-grouped at the summer trailhead for Zealand Trail. From there we continued to bareboot the hike all of the way to Zealand Falls Hut. The trail is in pretty good shape. It’s solid from the re-freeze but there is no ice to worry about. The traction is good and nothing extra was needed even for the final climb to the hut.

At the hut we stopped for a quick break. Since I was really getting my butt kicked I took on some fuel hoping it would help. Actually, the challenging pace was something I needed. We were in the process of hiking a faster Bonds Traverse than any of the others I have hiked. With winter conditions – not bad!

Before setting off from the Zealand Falls Hut there was a short discussion on footwear. The trail was in great shape and we didn’t want to damage it. Out came the snowshoes and we stayed with them until our departure from Mt. Bond. The trail from the hut is solid with very little ice and the traction was great. We were able to easily work our way to the ridge at Zeacliff arriving there roughly an hour under book time. Considering I was part of the group, it was a terrific time.

Here, Jim decided to call it a hike and u-turned back out. Brian, Greg, Sue, and I continued (in that order) to Zealand Mountain. The trail continued to be well tracked out as we made our way along Zealand Ridge. The steep pitches along the way were easy to climb on snowshoes. The general lack of ice is a big surprise considering the thaw and re-freeze over the past week. We reached the Zealand spur trail, made the turn, and walked the short ~.1 mile to the viewless high point. We got the usual summit pictures, took on some fuel, and continued on our way.

Back on Twinway the trail leading to Bondcliff Trail was not broken out. There was anywhere between two and six inches of snow over the packed trail. Brian took the lead and broke out the trail leaving Zealand and headed for the treeline near Guyot. In the col Greg took over and led on the initial climb to the treeline. Eventually Sue was out front, breaking the trail and setting a pace I couldn’t stay with. Sue stayed out front to West Bond. As we cleared the summit of Guyot we met another hiker headed to the Garfield Tentsite for the night before completing a Pemi-loop. A short distance after the Guyot summit we were back in the spruce and hiking on great trail conditions. Soon we reached the West Bond Spur, made the turn, and headed for the summit of West Bond.

To this point we have been hiking for over seven hours and have only one checkmark for our efforts. Now that we’re in The Bonds things will happen fast. It’s a fairly short .5 mile to the W. Bond summit from Bondcliff Trail. The trail was not broken out but we’re still looking at between two and six inches of snow over the packed trail. From the rocky summit clearing we had pretty great views in all directions.

Some folks seem to think clear sky and unlimited sun is required for great views and they are reluctant to hike The Bonds without a weather forecast making that prediction. We had overcast sky with high clouds, and great views. The interesting part is the effect these conditions have on pictures, especially in winter. Color becomes black and white.

From W. Bond we could see others were on Bond, but they appeared to be leaving as we were leaving W. Bond. We retraced our steps back to Bondcliff Trail, made the turn, and continued to Mt. Bond. From the W. Bond spur junction, again it’s a short .5 mile to the summit. Along the way we were treated to more outstanding views as clearing moved through the area, and then some low clouds, then some high clouds, etc. We never met the others that were visible on Bond from W. Bond. They must have headed south toward Bondcliff.

We reached Bond with cameras in hand and started getting terrific shots in all directions. Approaching Bond, Brian let out a Hoot and announced Washington was in the clear. We were able to enjoy views to the Presidentials while on Bond. Overall, I’d say we were treated very well as we passed through The Bonds. Next and last target for the day was Bondcliff.

We set off for our short 1.2 mile walk from Bond to Bondcliff. Soon after leaving the summit area of Mt. Bond we heard a double boom and then the sound of a jet, or jets. Military aircraft were training in the area and evidently one was having some fun with the throttle and broke the sound barrier in the process.

After leaving the scrub that is just off the summit of Bond we found the trail more rocks than snow. Eventually, we all decided to retire the snowshoes and change to MicroSpikes. As it turned out, this was the final change for the day. A light snow shower started and we were on a winter hike to Bondcliff. The open area is really windblown leaving very little snow or ice. There was just enough to make light traction very helpful.

With the cloud cover, snow shower, and late hour in the afternoon, we were losing daylight. We got our summit pictures and made our way off Bondcliff and back into the tree cover for our nine-mile exit walk. To this point there had been very little ice on the trail. On exiting Bondcliff there is usually a large ice bulge that gets bypassed with a bushwhack to the east. There is no ice bulge. We were able to simply climb down the section of ledge that lands us on the trail below.

Soon after clearing the ledge we stopped to pull out the headlights. We had ~4 miles of Bondcliff Trail and 4.7 miles of Wilderness trail to enjoy in darkness. We were able to hike a comfortable pace down from Bondcliff. Now is the best time to hike Bondcliff Trail. This section of trail is a huge mud pit during spring, summer, and fall but now everything is frozen. We generally cruised all of the way down to Wilderness Trail passing a couple campers setting up their camp for the night.

At the Wilderness Trail Sue pulled out a snack, I had a drink; we groaned and set off for Lincoln Woods. There’s nothing quite like finishing a 23+ mile day on an old logging railroad bed. Straight and flat isn’t bad for tired feet, I guess. We finished our exit walk along Wilderness Trail and stepped into the lot at Lincoln Woods completing a winter Bonds Traverse in book time – I never expected to do that!

Thanks Brian for having us along on the hike. It was a great day hiking The Bonds. Thanks also to Jim and Greg. I hope to hike again with you guys sometime soon. As always, thanks Sue for a terrific day in the mountains.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited:
Well, that was an interesting day!

So this was the most miles I had ever hiked at a single time before. The longest dayhike I have ever done. It was also one of the most memorable. It was the most I have ever pushed my body and while it was a close thing I found I could have done it. But I could not have done it alone. If I had to do this alone (which would be interesting enough with no other car for a carspot :lol: ) I don't know how I would have made it....for me the company is always the biggest part of any hike. And we had a great crew today, even if Jim had to turn back early. While I am sad he had to I do appreciate the hour of extra driving he saved us by bringing my car back to Lincoln Woods.

Early on the odds were in favor of a viewless hike. I did not let that bum me out too much (as I said, I tend to enjoy the more sociable aspect of a hike...views are always just bonus money) and that is why I was elated when, as we started to break out of the trees on Guyot, the views began popping out. It is hard to describe how it all looked, but basically small tufted clouds kept playing around the ridges and peaks, poking in and out playfully. Sometimes whole 270 areas were wide open, and then in the case of the Presis, wide open and in the clear with an 80+ mile visibilty backdrop. I think the coolest was when Greg pointed over to South Twin and just the barest 20 feet or so of the summit was in the clear...the rest shrouded in clouds. But slowly over the course of about 5 minutes the veil was pulled back and there the entire massif stood in all it's glory. I have been on the bonds with not a trace of clouds in the sky and the longest range of visibilty. I won't try and convince anyone the views we got yesterday were better than that....but neither were they any less. The interplay of the clouds were just awe inspiring. The completely clear days just strikes you as amazing...to see as far as the eye can behold is an amazing thing. But yesterdays views were more like Christmas for hikers....each turn in the trail with a view provided new surprises. Each of the Bond (and Guyot) summits never had the exact same set of peaks in view, so it was always a treat to see everything in a different light from each spot.

So the way I figure it we started roughly around 6:20 or 6:30. Jim said that when Greg and I climbed over the fence to the parking lot at Lincoln Woods my car's clock said 8:07. That would roughly put us at book time. I find that amazing since I have never been known as the fastest of hikers. We all got into a groove right from the beginning that just proved that the right combination of conditions, people and weather can combine to one's benifit.

I also think Sue deserves the Golden Snowshoe Award for Excellence In Trail Breaking....I broke maybe 1/4 of the way after Zealand, but slowly. Greg took over and did about a 1/4 as well, but slowly. Sue did the rest, but she is like a rocket!

Thanks Earl, Sue, Greg and Jim for making this one of those unforgettable trips of a lifetime!

Brian

P.S. Sorry you could not make it Rick. Hope your secret mission went well. :)

Last edited:
sounds like a great hike! ill come visit you all in the hospital! i think mt guyot is my favorite place in the world

So the way I figure it we started roughly around 6:20 or 6:30. Jim said that when Greg and I climbed over the fence to the parking lot at Lincoln Woods my car's clock said 8:07. That would roughly put us at book time. I find that amazing since I have never been known as the fastest of hikers. We all got into a groove right from the beginning that just proved that the right combination of conditions, people and weather can combine to one's benifit.

I also think Sue deserves the Golden Snowshoe Award for Excellence In Trail Breaking....I broke maybe 1/4 of the way after Zealand, but slowly. Greg took over and did about a 1/4 as well, but slowly. Sue did the rest, but she is like a rocket!

Thanks Earl, Sue, Greg and Jim for making this one of those unforgettable trips of a lifetime!

Brian

P.S. Sorry you could not make it Rick. Hope your secret mission went well. :)
Hey Brian,

I never thought a “book time” Bonds Traverse was anything I’d ever manage to hike, especially in winter. You all showed me I can do it – but I had serious doubts when we were approaching Zeacliff. :eek:

Sue is amazing! :)

sounds like a great hike! ill come visit you all in the hospital! i think mt guyot is my favorite place in the world
Obamacare prevented me from having access to hospital care. I was forced to recover at home. I'm happy to report things are looking pretty good for another silly day in the mountains this weekend. :rolleyes:

Check out the pictures, the BIG Guyot summit cairn is nothing more than a memory right now. In fact, it was gone when we passed through the area in November. :(

What is this about "hospital care"?????? Did I miss something????:eek:

What Brian said.

Plus, my butt was really dragging at the end, which probably explains the extra bruising. Closing it in the truck door probably didn't help.

:rolleyes: