Boot Woes.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MEB said:
...So, I then bought a pair of EMS Arete and hiked in them about 9 times...

MEB, sorry if this is a stupid question, but do (did) you wear the Arete boots in the summer? I've always thought of them as a poorly insulated winter/mountaineering boot. I didn't know anyone wore them in fair weather. Oh well, add that to the list of things I don't know. BTW, I'll add another vote for the LL Bean Cresta Hikers.

Dave Page...

Kevin Rooney said:
Did you have Dave Page resole the Limmers? I guessing they're from the factory (Meindl?) and not handmade. I think Page's the best cobbler in the country. His resole's on my boots are better than the originals.

I agree with Kevin's recommendation on Dave Page. I had him resole my Raichle boots. The new soles are better than the originals.

-- LTH

LivesToHike said:
I agree with Kevin's recommendation on Dave Page. I had him resole my Raichle boots. The new soles are better than the originals.

-- LTH
Ah, another Raichle's fan. I alternate between a pair of Palue's and a pair of Badille's. Nearly identical - I think they're the same boot - with the Palue sold to the Swiss army and Badille to the general public. The Badille does add a nylon protective guard behind the heal.

Zamberlan

Ok. I just have to chime in again.

It just hit me today that I have a pair of boots that I have sort of been avoiding because I have been going to lighter footwear in the last year or two. These boots aren't really heavy by any means. I just get weird on light sometimes, after all I am Zer0-G :D

I bought a pair of boots about 6 or 7 years ago from a company named Zamberlan. Their boots are crafted in Italy. They are very good quality.

The pair of boots I own are the 631 Civetta.

Well, they have seen many miles and many rocks and many mountains over the years.

They don't have any holes in them, no ripping seams and , for me they are very comfortable.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I actually , today, just ordered a pair of Zamberlan, Jaspers.

After the Merril fiasco, I thought I would give these guys a crack at my feet again. Since it struck me today that I am a satisfied customer.

The workmanship is excellent!

MEB/PoisonIvy,
Interesting that the ladies are the ones complaining about boot failure. I wonder if the manufacturers are a bit guilty of sexism (i.e. lightly made boots to save on weight?) Just an observation everyone, so don't bother flaming me...

I had more problems with my boots than with my lightweight hiking shoes. My Asolo 535's had some sole separation, but nothing major. My NB 900 (shoes) on the other hand finally failed on a Meader/Walker/Baldface traverse after over 600 miles of tough use (Whites/BSP/ADK). (MEB, remember that trip?)

My current Dunham Wafflestomper Terrastryders (who comes up with these names?) have performed quite well, when I was able to use them (but that's another story...). Hopefully, I'll get to use them again... soon.

MEB-Sorry about your bad luck.

the Crestas should be fine until you get your Limmers repaired.I've had my Crestas for about four years now, very comfortable and no sign of ripping out. My soles are smoother and I noticed this year they are slipping more on wet downhills so it may be time to invest in a new pair or get these resoled. Probably just get a new pair and keep these for lake hikes. I'm very, very happy with them.

SherpaKroto said:
MEB/PoisonIvy,
Interesting that the ladies are the ones complaining about boot failure. I wonder if the manufacturers are a bit guilty of sexism (i.e. lightly made boots to save on weight?) Just an observation everyone, so don't bother flaming me...

Yah, yah... maybe we just b!t@h more!!! ;) :D (This being posted by the perennial boot-b!t@h).

This thought may be waaaay out there, but I've often wondered if part of the problem is that we of the ;) ;) weaker ;) ;) sex scramble more and those of us who are vertically challenged make more boot strides? Maybe we're just harder on our boots? Maybe manufacturers need to make chick boots hardier than dude boots?

That having been said, I always give Lowa an out on my boot failure because I know I've kicked the crap out of my boots -- 500 or so miles with just a side seam failure doesn't seems to be much to complain about considering what The Divine Miss M is dealing with... :D

SherpaKroto said:
Hopefully, I'll get to use them again... soon.

We hope.... :D

At risk of giving away my age I have a pair of Rene Desmaison Super Guide boots I purchased in 1972 and have been resoled twice - my feet have been too big for them for a while so they were in hibernation for a decade. My son is now using them after their 2nd resole and likes them.

Meanwhile I wear modern light weight boots out at the rate of about one per year. The message is clear big boot = good wear light weight boot = poor wear. Oh Yeah my big Alico boots are about finished after 6 years.

So I think part of the problem is the new running shoe technology that is being used to make hiking boots lighter, cheaper and more comfortable but less robust.

But who wants towear big boots they may last a lot longer but will your knees?

Jacko said:
At risk of giving away my age I have a pair of Rene Desmaison Super Guide boots I purchased in 1972... But who wants towear big boots they may last a lot longer but will your knees?

Wow,

Super Guides.

Now those babies could generate more blisters in more places than any other boot I've known. I had friends who spent an hour applying moleskin before a climb, and left it on till we got down a few days later!

I was a Fabiano fan myself. They were not quite as as good at edging on a face, but I did't need a foot transplant at the end of the season either.

MEB, try some non-chick boots and see what happens.

cb

soon no more light weight boots for me

Tiring of sharp rocks finding their way through my year -old expensive Vasque boots I stopped at the Limmer shop last Thursday for a fitting. In just 2.5 years I'll have custom hand -made by NH craftsmen boots ;) It will be hard to wait that long, and my guess is that I will have to buy another pair of inexpesive boots to bridge the gap between now and my custom-fitted future. It warms my heart (and pocket book) to read the comments above about those who are still hiking in their ancient Limmers.

Squashman said:
Tiring of sharp rocks finding their way through my year -old expensive Vasque boots I stopped at the Limmer shop last Thursday for a fitting. In just 2.5 years I'll have custom hand -made by NH craftsmen boots ;) It will be hard to wait that long, and my guess is that I will have to buy another pair of inexpesive boots to bridge the gap between now and my custom-fitted future. It warms my heart (and pocket book) to read the comments above about those who are still hiking in their ancient Limmers.

Yes, it is wonderful to hear all the good things people say about the limmers.

As an aside, earlier tin this thread, I mentioned Zamberlan Boots. I just ordered , received and introduced to the trail , my second pair of Zamberlan JASPER boots.

I love these boots!

Excellent quality, excellent workmanship.

My first pair was the Civetta and are now being repaired, (I broke an eye hook, it got caught on a boot lace repeatedly and snapped) at Dave the Cobbler's place.

The Civetta's I own are about 6 (?) years old and are still structurally sound, I am also having them resoled and reconditioned.

I don't see many of these boots or hear of many other people using them. I think they are great, take a look.

http://www.zamberlanstore.com/

I am very happy to own 2 pair.

Zer0-G

It's not like you are buying cheap boots Meb, this shouldn't be happening. After a bad experience with $20.00 boots I bought a pair of Raichle's in the late 70's. In 93' a sole blew out descending St Helens so I bought another identical Raichle and they are still going strong. From what I hear Limmer should make this good, they have a super rep.

The Limmers are getting a lot of praise but I'll echo the sentiment about the Crestas and will definitely get another pair. I've had mine for 7 years or so, hiked probably over 1k miles, and haven't received a single blister in 6 years. They kept my feet dry up until about a year ago as well. I just couldn't retire them yet.
They may be delaminating, the seams are pulling apart, the soles looking like racing slicks, and the leather tearing like old jerky now, but I've easily extracted 5x their worth. They made it through the 67 and a whole lot more.