Boston Chapter (AMC) Winter Hiking Program

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

This year I will be coordinating the Boston Chapter's Winter Hiking Program, in which I have participated for several years.

I obviously believe that it is an excellent program, but realize that I might perhaps be somewhat biased :). But there is no doubt that the price is right: $35 for AMC members, $40 for others (advance registration), an extra 5 bucks if you register the night of the program. Details and registration form (PDF) available here.

I strongly recommend advance registration; the lines for walk-in registration tend to be long, plus you save the five bucks. Strikes me as a win-win deal!!!

The course consists of five evenings of lectures (Tuesdays from 11/14 to 12/12, 7-9:30 PM) at Joy Street, plus a large instructional manual, plus five evenings of snacks and sodas. In addition there are several free day trips, plus a few overnight trips (cost TBA at first night).

The low cost is possible because all the instructors are unpaid volunteers, though all have many years (in some cases decades) of winter hiking experience.

The course is open to both AMC members and non-members!!

Hope to see some of you there.

Cheap parking around Joy Street

Sounds interesting. In case others are interested but put off by cost to park around Joy street. There's a city parking garage located under Boston Common accessed from Charles Street that is pretty reasonable rates. In fact I'd recommend for anyone wanting to make trips into Boston.

I took this course two years ago and it was an awesome course. I highly recommend. I quickly became addicted to winter hiking and now winter is my favorite time to hike.

great opp.

I lived in boston for 8 years and currently work in town - I would recomend parking at one of the subways in the outskirts (orange line, blue line, red line, etc..) and taking the subway in. Make your way to Park Street station and its a short walk to joy street.

IMO - its less hassle - traffic is a nightmare these days around town.

Jazzbo said:
Sounds interesting. In case others are interested but put off by cost to park around Joy street. There's a city parking garage located under Boston Common accessed from Charles Street that is pretty reasonable rates. In fact I'd recommend for anyone wanting to make trips into Boston.
Not only are the rates (after 4 PM) reasonable, but we (the program) buy bulk passes we sell to participants. I believe that they are half price.

giggy said:
great opp.

I lived in boston for 8 years and currently work in town - I would recomend parking at one of the subways in the outskirts (orange line, blue line, red line, etc..) and taking the subway in. Make your way to Park Street station and its a short walk to joy street.

IMO - its less hassle - traffic is a nightmare these days around town.

Joy Street is also a short hike to North and South Station commuter rails.

I took the course over 10 years ago, having already known it all :D , and found it very informative. Also met new people, a few of whom I hiked with a couple times since then.

Will anyone car pool from NH??

AMC New Hampshire chapter offers winter hiking series too with added benefit being closer to the places you want to winter hike. Check out AMC New Hampshire Chapter web site for details. You can get there via AMC main web site ... then go to chapters.

Jazzbo said:
AMC New Hampshire chapter offers winter hiking series too with added benefit being closer to the places you want to winter hike. Check out AMC New Hampshire Chapter web site for details. You can get there via AMC main web site ... then go to chapters.
The NH Chapter series tends to fill early, and this year is no exception - it's full-

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Details and registration form (PDF) available here.
At least one person has had a problem downloading the PDF using Internet Explorer, but was able to do so by right-clicking on the link and saving the file.

Since I use Firefox I was unable to reproduce the problem, has anyone else had difficulties? If all else fails send me an email and I will email you the form.

Mohamed

The AMC parking discount at the recently renovated Boston Common Underground Garage a short walk from Joy St. makes parking convenient and reasonable.

MadRiver said:
How do we get the discount?
We (program volunteers) sell discounted parking passes at the intermission.

The discounted passes cost $5 vs $10 (evening rate), it sure helps if you bring a five dollar bill even though we come with quite a bit of change.

Click here for map and directions to parking garage. The maps also show Joy Street, so they will help you get there from here :).

I am doing this too! Am so excited! :D

I did winter hiking regularly last season for the first time with the guidance of some friends from VFTT. I'd like some formal training though!

For me it's convenient as I come home from work via Park Street and Joy Street is nearby.

Thanks for posting this opportunity here!

The Boston chapter course manual that you get with the course is filled with useful information. I was reading it as a refresher last week. If you don't like the art in this year's edition... that was someone else with the same name as me ;)

MadRiver said:
When and how will we be notified if we made the cut?
I presume the Registrar will get back to you. Like all volunteers she has other things to do in life :)

In any case there is no problem of "making the cut", there is room for all who come. Just show up.

The point of pre-registration is not to increase your chances of getting in; it is to let you avoid the lines on the first night.