Bucket List: Huntington Ravine to Boott Spur

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
For a long time, my hiking bucket list has included Huntington Ravine and Boott Spur. New Hampshire welcomed me back from Vermont on Sunday with picture-perfect Presidential Weather. I hooked up with Marc Howes and we put these two goals into a loop, tagging Ball Crag as a bonus. Unbelievably, Marc had not been to either Boott Spur or Ball Crag. 9 miles and 4850 feet in 8 hours inclusive of stops.

(Note: I am pretty sure I named the gullies correctly, but please let me know if I have not.)

IMG_7974.JPG
IMG_7978.JPG

Cascades along the brooks which drain Huntington Ravine

We met at PNVC at 6AM and were under way by 6:15. It was cool and very uncrowded at the start and we saw nobody else along the ski trail to the split for Huntington Ravine. The lower section of the HR trail was twisty, rooty, rocky and includes several stream crossings along with a short detour onto the Jackson Ski Road. Just before the junction, we walked, amost literally, into a fox, who gave us a mildly irritated look and wandered off into the woods, no doubt planning to return to whatever we interrupted momentarily. From the road section, you can get a few glances at the headwall of the ravine which lies ahead.

IMG_7985.JPG
IMG_7988.JPG

Looking up from The Fan (Pinnacle and Central), Pinnacle Gully from atop The Fan

Presently the trail turns onto the lowest stretches of The Fan, boulders the size of SUVs or small houses even, with gaps between them that could easily swallow both of us. We snaked our way over, around and even under these boulders until breaking out of the trees completely and onto the talus field. The angle of the sun was such that we could make out a very thin glistening strip between the land and the sky which had to be the Atlantic Ocean. Looking up at the gullies (in awe, I might add) we saw some other people moving. One of them was hiking Huntington's as we were but the other two were making their way to climb Pinnacle Gully, (to the left of Central, the most-prominent feature in the ravine), with a narrow strip of water running down it. Sound carries well in the ravine and a not-so-loud shout got the climber's to look up at us and wave.

IMG_7993.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG

Pinnacle Buttress up close, Central With Boott Spur behind

At the top of the talus field, we studied the slabs for a short while and then made our way up. While steep, they are not particularly smooth and it was not difficult to maintain contact. Marc kept his poles handy the entire time while I stowed mine and went with the four-legged approach. Above the slabs, it required careful attention to find and follow the fading yellow blazes. It was handy to have two people if there was any question which side of the next boulder to go on. I personally found this section to be the most challenging, even though the grade is not as steep. Being tall has advantages for taking tall steps, but it is disadvantageous when faced with tight spaces.

IMG_8003.JPG
IMG_8007.JPG

Across the Alpine Garden to Tuckerman and Boott Spur, Summit buildings from Ball Crag

As we crossed the lip of the headwall, we were greeted with a bit more of a breeze, enough to help cool off and dry out from the prior effort, but not enough to induce a chill. The motorcycle and ATV riders coming up the auto road were all wearing heavy jackets and a few had on winter hats. Crossing the auto road we continued on to Ball Crag, a minor bump and the "other 6000 footer in New Hampshire." It does offer a straight-on view of the summit building which, like it or not, was kind of neat.

IMG_8011.JPG
IMG_8012.JPG

Mandatory summit shots: Northern Presidentials, Wildcat-Carter-Moriah Range

At the summit, we availed ourselves of the facilities which it offers and enjoyed lunch out on the observation deck. As predicted, the winds were light (5-15MPH) and the temps were nudging up to 60 degrees. The views extended well into Maine, including Elephant and Rangely, and north to Megantic in Montreal. After an extended break here, we wandered down the top portion of Tuckerman Ravine Trail, stopping to chat with the lot attendant (who was wearing Limmers and clearly has been hiking many times before.)

IMG_8025.JPG
IMG_8028.JPG

Boott Spur up close, Looking back from tree line

On the way down, we met up with the most other hikers we'd seen so far. With Tuckerman Ravine trail closed for maintenance, it seemed that the Boott Spur trail was getting a boost in popularity. Along the way we met some enthusiastic kids who warned us about the steepness and the gravel--we thanked them politely and assured them we would be OK. Along the descent there are good views of Lion Head, Huntington Ravine's northern wall, and the "left handed" view into Tuckerman Ravine. Turning 180 degrees offers an excellent view into the Gulf of Slides and over to Slide (Gulf) Peak. After returning to the trees, the trail offers several challenging obstacles, alternating with some flat spots which include bog bridges. We both went into autopilot (zombie) mode at some point and woke up when we returned to the ski trail just above Crystal Cascade.

All Photos

Tim

Last edited:
Glad you got into Huntington! Its a great place.

The third picture from left to right is, Pinnacle Buttress, Pinnacle gully (behind the buttress-can see it from that angle really)), Central Buttress and Central Gully (center).. when you get on the first real slab area on Huntington Ravine trail, you are closest to Central Gully (it would be on your left).

The fourth picture is of Pinnacle Gully and Pinnacle Buttress. Pinnacle Gully is the one with the waterfall, and the Buttress is an angled and striking feature.. the climbers were most likely on the northeast ridge route of Pinnacle Buttress.

The sixth picture is Central buttress, the biggest/tallest rock feature in the ravine. Damnation buttress is less prominent and its in the northern side of the ravine.

Cheers!

Excellent!

Although I agree with the oft stated sentiment that the summit is too crowded and too commercial, it is on trails like these that you find the true beauty to Mount Washington. Huntington and Boott Spur are definitely two of my favorite trails in all of the Whites. Good to see two friends get out there and enjoy them! Great TR and pics, Tim!

KDT

Very cool trip report. I think Huntington Ravine makes men! I'm way too scared to even attempt it! Great pics. You guys had awesome weather.

Karl

I neglected to mention that we met a woman coming up Boott Spur with her arm in a makeshift cast and sling - claiming she'd broken it, and was thinking it easier to go all the way to the top of Washington than back down, counting on a bus ride (her words) down. I hope she made it, and would be curious if anyone knew her or found out what happened.

Tim

I neglected to mention that we met a woman coming up Boott Spur with her arm in a makeshift cast and sling - claiming she'd broken it, and was thinking it easier to go all the way to the top of Washington than back down, counting on a bus ride (her words) down. I hope she made it, and would be curious if anyone knew her or found out what happened.

Tim

I saw her just below the Crawford Path junction and also noticed her arm wasn't in a cast. They still seemed to be moving at a good pace and I suspect they made out alright. We were a few hours behind you guys; I'm bummed I didn't notice the Atlantic! Kudos on the hike.
Pat

It was wrapped in thin foam and hung from (I think) a spare boot lace?

Tim

hmm I can't say I was paying a great deal of attention other than the fact it was a clear arm injury but I think someone must have given her a sling along the way unless it was white foam and I just assumed it was a sling. Hopefully she got that ride down she was looking for...

Awesome hike Tim! Nothing like being able to string together a pair of bucket list items in one trip. Certainly the perfect presidential day too. Would love to do this same loop someday if I can eventually convince myself to get into Huntington. Thanks for sharing the journey.

hmm I can't say I was paying a great deal of attention other than the fact it was a clear arm injury but I think someone must have given her a sling along the way unless it was white foam and I just assumed it was a sling. Hopefully she got that ride down she was looking for...

Yes, it was a thin white foam sheet wrapped a couple of times around her arm and hung from (I think) a boot lace. It struck me that she was matter-of-fact about the whole thing and not at all panicked so I suspect her can-do attitude got her through.

For those expressing some hesitation let me say that while I did get an occasional rush from the exposure, I was never genuinely concerned. Yes, you have to pay attention. Yes, you'll want to have at least one hand free to grab on in sections.

Now is your chance to go since Tucks is closed for renovations!

Tim
p.s. The Great Gulf and Six Husbands are also on my bucket list :D

Yes, it was a thin white foam sheet wrapped a couple of times around her arm and hung from (I think) a boot lace.
If it was folded in a U around her arm, it was likely a magazine splint.http://www.survivalworld.com/every day items/magazines.html They can be very effective.

I have successfully used a folded-over closed-cell foam pad as a magazine splint to stabilize an injured knee. (Not mine...) We used a wool shirt for padding and some straps to secure the splint. Once the knee was stabilized, the victim was able to put weight on the leg. (The injury was damage to one of the ligaments inside the knee joint.)

Doug

I believe one could say it qualified as a magazine splint. I didn't examine it that closely - I asked her if she was all right and what happened and she convinced me very quickly that A) she'd broken her arm, B) the measures they had taken were effective and C) she felt it best to continue up and ride down (even though I am pretty sure she was less than 1/2 way to the summit... and the way down did include a ladder and several decent drops which I might not want to attempt with a broken arm.)

Tim