Bug spray advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aspirated a few black flies yesterday on Snake Mtn. The little buggers like my ears.

I grew up in an area with a lot of black flies and they always seemed to go for the high point. A quick bike ride or a dip in the pool worked pretty well back in those days.
On the trail, sometimes I stop and put my hands above my head. They fly between my hands and I squash 'em.

Someone should invent a black fly trap hat. I guess it would look like ears, eyes, a nose and a mouth.

So I piss on myself while holding either a pole or a paddle in the air. Got it. Do I piss on the pole/paddle before I hold it in the air also? Just don't want to look like I don't know what I am doing.

I don't believe there is a silver bullet against biting insects. I implement several measures depending upon conditions, Buzz Off Eco Blend being the most benign (read the ingredients and you'll be tempted to put it on your salad) and carry at least two different concentrations of deet. Clothes include long sleeves, various silly head covers, and silk glove liners and head nets for the worst conditions. Some of my shirts and socks contatin the harmless repellent permethrin. Still I end up with a few bites but I think that's less harmful than exclusive long term application of 90% deet. I've found bites, at worse, an annoyance but never such that it keeps me away from outdoor activities. I even adhere to some of the old wives tales and flaunt others ... it all helps, or not. YMMV.

One good strategy is to hike with someone who'd be suitable for the trail name "Flypaper". Insects are drawn to some people more than others. One difference that I've noticed is they're drawn to people who smell nicer. I suggest retaining a bit of social grace and bathe but if you're using soaps, shampoos etc. avoid the fragrant kind. Verbena and lavendar are least attractice to insects.

Some people find Avon's Skin so Soft sunscreen helpful.

Don't let the little bastards get you down.

Anyone with suggestions as to how to deal with barflies?

ConsumerHealth.com says has a piece on bugs and this bit is at the end:
What not to do

These products either don’t work well or aren’t worth the risks:
•Products with more than 30 percent deet, such as Jungle Juice 100. The potential side effects aren’t worth it.
•Off Clip-on, a device that attaches to your waistband or belt and uses a fan to circulate a repellent around your body. The active ingredient, metofluthrin, can pose risks to your nervous system, and our tests found that it didn’t work very well anyway.
•Wristbands with repellent claims.
•Garlic or vitamin B1 pills.
•Devices that give off sound waves designed to keep insects away.
•Backyard bug zappers. (They might actually attract mosquitoes.)
•Also avoid tight clothes (which mosquitoes can penetrate), dark
clothes (where ticks can hide), and strong scents, which may attract pests.

Has anyone had any experience/luck with allegedly bug-repellent clothing? (Ex-officio bugs-away, for example). Do they make a difference?

I bought their bandana and just found it heavy. I'll give it another try, wearing it in a different way.