Burning Calories When Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From today's StairMaster workout:

1000 calories/hour = 10 METS = 320 watts (at 207 pounds and 88 steps/minute)

1200 calories/hour = 12 METS = 385 watts (107 steps/minute, IIRC)

I was able to maintain 385 watts for about 7 minutes before the lactate buildup was noticeable. I backed it off so I can actually hike this weekend. My HR was about 175 when I pulled back.

Today's exercise was to maintain 1000 cal/hr for 60 minutes, which I did except for that 6-7 minute interval maintaining 1200 cal/hr. My HR fluctuated around the low 160s (I am the same age as the SuperBowl ;))

It also said I did 400+ floors and nearly 8 miles, which I know for certain I came nowhere near 8 miles - uphill... :rolleyes:

Tim

From today's StairMaster workout:

1000 calories/hour = 10 METS = 320 watts (at 207 pounds and 88 steps/minute)

1200 calories/hour = 12 METS = 385 watts (107 steps/minute, IIRC)

I was able to maintain 385 watts for about 7 minutes before the lactate buildup was noticeable. I backed it off so I can actually hike this weekend. My HR was about 175 when I pulled back.

Today's exercise was to maintain 1000 cal/hr for 60 minutes, which I did except for that 6-7 minute interval maintaining 1200 cal/hr. My HR fluctuated around the low 160s (I am the same age as the SuperBowl ;))

It also said I did 400+ floors and nearly 8 miles, which I know for certain I came nowhere near 8 miles - uphill... :rolleyes:

Tim

Do you maintain this level of output across your entire outing when doing a hike?
How would you characterize your output for a day hiking?
Would you push at this level of exertion for the entire climb and then go slower on a ridge or decent?
Would you have an estimate of caloric consumption when you are hiking at a reduced output?

Do you maintain this level of output across your entire outing when doing a hike?
No way
How would you characterize your output for a day hiking?
I gave up racing years ago, the point was to illustrate that 1200 calories/hour while hiking is unrealistic (1151 quoted by ADK88 below.)
Would you push at this level of exertion for the entire climb and then go slower on a ridge or decent?
I usually push the major ascent, change into dry clothes and then go easier, possibly changing again after the last of the climbing. As I have said so often here I sweat heavily at a relatively low exertion level and for me to go slow enough not to sweat would be agonizingly slow, especially up hill. I've been above treeline on group hikes where one or two people slowed the group to the point that I was beyond inconvenienced (being dressed for a higher level of energy output.)
Would you have an estimate of caloric consumption when you are hiking at a reduced output?
Tough to come up with a concrete number. I'm sure it is below 75% of the stairmaster rate. Probably in the 50-75% (500-750 cal/hr) including stops, rests, flat sections, etc. I don't eat significantly more at "meal time" but I add a lot of snacking.

Tim

I usually push the major ascent, change into dry clothes and then go easier, possibly changing again after the last of the climbing. As I have said so often here I sweat heavily at a relatively low exertion level and for me to go slow enough not to sweat would be agonizingly slow, especially up hill. I've been above treeline on group hikes where one or two people slowed the group to the point that I was beyond inconvenienced (being dressed for a higher level of energy output.)

Tim

Ok...(somewhat off topic)...you CHANGE into dry cloths prior to going above treeline? Even in the winter? How do you not freeze?

My hubby sweats WICKED and is usually soaked when we get ready to enjoy above treeline. He changes into dry cloths too, but not in the deep winter when it's often way below freezing. He did this once (and it was in the 30's that day), got so cold just changing, he was miserable for the rest of the hike. He doesn't dare to do this now...

Ok...(somewhat off topic)...you CHANGE into dry cloths prior to going above treeline? Even in the winter? How do you not freeze?
Yes. I'm far less cold in the long run if I change. I change quickly and in the most-sheltered spot I have available. I go through at least 2 and sometimes 4 glove liners in the winter.

I generally hike up / to treeline in a short sleeve single layer wearing (bicycle) arm warmers which can be rolled down or removed. I'm more likely to be wearing a headband or bandanna than a hat.

Above treeline and while coming down I put on (generally) a real long-sleeve shirt, a hat, and maybe a fleece or hardshell.

Tim

My hubby sweats WICKED and is usually soaked when we get ready to enjoy above treeline. He changes into dry cloths too, but not in the deep winter when it's often way below freezing. He did this once (and it was in the 30's that day), got so cold just changing, he was miserable for the rest of the hike. He doesn't dare to do this now...

One can change a base layer shirt very quickly even in subzero cold without excessive chill. Of course you need to have the shirt ready. It is best to do this just during a short break.

Taking it further on the tangent, one hiking companion told me his account of going in for Street and Nye in the dacks. It was subzero temps (-5F if I recall correctly). You go in about 1.5 miles and have to cross the Rocky Branch which often runs open in the winter. It is a challenge sometimes to find an ice bridge to cross it. He was making his way across an ice bridge and it collapsed. He lost his ballance and went into the water. I asked how wet he got to which he replied. "I went completely under" To which I responded, "What did you do?" He climbed out of the river, opened his pack pulled out his emergency clothes, stripped, put them on, stuffed all the wet clothes into his pack, and ran the 1.5 back to the car. This is one reason why I carry a warm coat instead of a sleeping bag as emergency gear. I asked him if he was cold and he said. Only at first and then I was too wired on adrenelin.

If this does happen and you are deep into the woods or don't have much extra gear, I hear the appropriate response is to immediately roll in the snow to get as much water absorbed and then brush it off. I don't wish to prove this out.