Bushwack from Carrigain to Vose Spur

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hikers

Reaction score
We are in the mode ,lately, of doing over mountains, but from a different trail/direction. Wondering how the BW from Carrigain to Vose Spur is these days. We did it from Carrigain Notch last time.

We are in the mode ,lately, of doing over mountains, but from a different trail/direction. Wondering how the BW from Carrigain to Vose Spur is these days. We did it from Carrigain Notch last time.
Do you like spruce? I went to the notch between Carrigain and Vose Spur to visit the cool-ass talus field there and that was quite slow going and thick. Didn't go all the way to carriagian. It's not a standard route, that's for sure...

-Dr. Wu

I went the other way last September - Vose Spur and Carrigain and the woods were thick, but I wore shorts and was not scratched up too badly. The talus field Frank mentions was pretty neat, as was the shoulder above Vose Spur, and probably the neatest spot was a small alpine meadow right below the summit - with a length-wise view of Signal Ridge.

Note that I am not a serious bushwhacker, but I went with Marc Howes, who may qualify ;)

Tim

I did a Nancy > Carrigain > Vose Spur loop in 06. I remember the Carrigain to Vose Spur and the north side of Vose Spur as being pretty easy.

As of November '10 it was pretty manageable to get from Vose Spur up to Carrigain's summit. The thickest sections weren't bad and never lasted more than 50 yards long, if that. I don't know if it would be as easy going in the other direction.

We considered the hot weather, and the fact that we were in shorts, and additionally the mosquitos, so we settled for Carrigain today. I would think this is a better bushwack in the fall.