Buyer beware - PLB

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
This device has recently come to my attention and is being marketed as a PLB.

http://www.tracme.com/

Personally I think they are misleading the public. As with most cons you need to read the fine print. This is a FRS transmitter that transmits at only 10mw and not to the COSPAS-SARSAT satellites but to a special DFing FRS receiver that no one actually has. Remember a real PLB actually notifies the SAR community that you are in trouble and where you are. This device is only useful if you somehow have found out the person is in trouble and have the equipment to locate that weak beacon. The company does state it is not a real PLB but it they have used terminology that appears to be made to confuse the unwary consumer. I am also very curious that they are using NASAR's logo, and others on their web page. They seem to imply, by association, that NASAR has approved use of this device. When you read it, it says only that they are a member of the organization. Again, it appears to be deceptive to me.

Considering that you can buy a FRS radio for $10 that transmits at 50 times the output power. I personally believe that you would be much better off, as an alternative to this device, with a standard FRS radio and either the knowledge of your location with or without a GPS. At least you might have the chance to notify someone by voice and maybe give useful information to rescuers. Of course I am unsure how they are supposed to know you have a radio or this device. A real PLB has to be registered. When it goes off they know exactly who owns, that they are in trouble as well as the location of the device within around 2 miles or if GPS equipped within 100 meters or less.

FWIW,
Keith

Chip said:
But Keith, the ad says it's suitable for "Bushwalking" ! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info and the laugh.

That and after listing all the wonderful things you can use it for it goes and says "all outdoor activities" why bother listing all that stuff if you have an all emcompassing item at the end :confused: Becasue it looks good? Or maybe so they can teach us the wonder of this new sport called bushwalking??? :rolleyes:

The FAQ does carefully distinguish this product from the satellite-based PLB, but I think they are a little glib (marketing conflict of interest) in claiming that the term PLB applies to their product. (Yes, their product is a "personal locater beacon", but not a "Personal Locater Beacon", so to speak...)

They are also a little quick to assure the reader that SAR teams carry the direction finding (DF) equipment. IIRC, sardog1 commented that FRS radio equiment is not commonly carried by SAR personell.

Their estmates of range might be a little optomistic, but not as bad as some of the claims for FRS radios. (It uses FRS channel 1.)
EDIT: just read the spec sheet (in the downloadable manual)--the range estimates are way optomistic for a 10mw transmitter.

It would certainly be better than nothing, but only if the searchers know to listen for it and have the right gear.

Doug

Last edited:
SAR-EMT40 said:
Considering that you can buy a FRS radio for $10 that transmits at 50 times the output power. I personally believe that you would be much better off, as an alternative to this device, with a standard FRS radio and either the knowledge of your location with or without a GPS.
IMO, the only real advantage of this device is that it transmits continuously for much longer than a standard FRS radio can.

I guess I agree with Keith. You might as well just buy an FRS radio. Replacable batteries and if you get two (~$25 total) it has other uses.

Doug

DougPaul said:
IIRC, sardog1 commented that FRS radio equiment is not commonly carried by SAR personell.

It would certainly be better than nothing, but only if the searchers know to listen for it and have the right gear.

Doug

Especially a special FRS radio made for DF'ing that costs the rescue team $795. The last I knew Lojack (the car finding company) gave their receivers to police departments for free. IIRC it is illegal to modify an antenna on a FRS radio. To prevent higher ERP (Effective radiated power). Thats why they are not removable. Granted this device they are selling only needs to operate in a receiving role but it actually would be illegal to make a DF type antenna and attach it to a standard FRS transceiver.

And we don't carry FRS radios as a rule though I do always have a radio that can listen on all of those frequencies. Most of us have scanners that can listen to those frequeincies but we would have to know to check all those frequecies.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
Especially a special FRS radio made for DF'ing that costs the rescue team $795.
If the company can create an expectation among users that the SAR folks will have receivers, then the SAR teams will be pressured to become customers... Its called marketing.

The last I knew Lojack (the car finding company) gave their receivers to police departments for free.
That is also my understanding.

IIRC it is illegal to modify an antenna on a FRS radio. To prevent higher ERP (Effective radiated power). Thats why they are not removable. Granted this device they are selling only needs to operate in a receiving role but it actually would be illegal to make a DF type antenna and attach it to a standard FRS transceiver.
I haven't checked the regs, but I rather suspect that there are strong limits on the antennas. Usually are for unlicensed transmitters.

And we don't carry FRS radios as a rule though I do always have a radio that can listen on all of those frequencies. Most of us have scanners that can listen to those frequeincies but we would have to know to check all those frequecies.
And as you well know, one cannot answer with a receiver...

The advantage of "standards" (real or to be created) is that there are so many to choose from...

Doug

BTW, "bushwalking" is Australian (or Kiwi) for backcountry hiking. The company is an Australian company.

I really don't see the point of these things. Sure a real PLB is way more money (probably heaps more in Aussie), but aren't these line of sight, like the little radios? If so, not that useful in most places where you might need one. Plus, as already mentioned, once you set off a PLB, it's a matter of waiting for someone to find you, not a matter of waiting for someone to notice you haven't come back. By that time, it could be too late if you've had a serious accident early on in your trip.

I'd rather rent a PLB than buy one of these gadgets.

The following is a quote taken tonight from the tracme.com site at Frequently Asked Questions:

"Will the TracMe Personal Locator Beacon replace the function of the current 121.5 mHz or the 406 mHz distress beacons?

"Absolutely NOT. These distress beacons (or satellite PLBs) operate by sending a signal to a satellite which relays this to a central search and rescue office. When activated, an satellite PLB will automatically instigate an international search and rescue effort. This makes satellite PLBs suitable mainly for use by shipping and aircraft, and unsuitable for use in general outdoor activities by the public.
"

This statement is demonstrably false. The satellite PLB program has resulted in the rescue of dozens of individuals in the last several years, with relatively few false reports. The program was designed for use in general outdoor activities by the general public. The feds are extremely happy with its success and promote its use. "'Anyone with plans to hike or camp in a remote area, where cell phone service is not reliable, or sail a boat far from shore should not leave home without an emergency locator beacon, registered with NOAA,' said NOAA Corps Lt. Jeffrey Shoup." NOAA SATELLITES READY FOR SPIKE IN SPRING, SUMMER DISTRESS CALLS

EDIT: In anticipation that someone might wonder about the numbers, here they are. The feds show the following at NOAA SARSAT:

2007 YTD (to July 27):
PLB rescues: 46 people rescued in 20 incidents

2006:
PLB rescues: 37 people rescued in 22 incidents

Last edited: