Calling all you Adventure Racers/Climbers!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
I am working on revamping a pack here at work.

Right now it is made of Spectra fabric, has padded shoulder straps, two mesh side pockets for Nalgenes, is hydration pack compatable, has zippered pockets on the padded hip belt and a removable back pad.

This weighs in at 1 pound 10 oz. right now, and 2000c.i. including the pockets.

It has a contour cut lid that can be used or not.

What bells and whistles would you like to see on a pack like this?

The back pocket is big enough for a helmet.

It has a whistle on the strenum strap.

Any specific lashing placements or extra staps that would make it just he best pack ever?

Just looking for some suggestions and ideas from the people who USE this type of thing!

Thanks in advance.

:)

A hydration pocket for a water bladder with perhaps straps on the shoulder belts to run it in.

Places on the shoulder belt to hang biners for quick access or perhaps built in spring clips for the same.

Tow loop on the back packet for a towline.

A place to hang an red LED in the back for nighttime.

Pockets on the hipbelt for snacks, Gu, e-caps, etc.

Jay

What I'd Like

Is a simple spectra cloth stuffsack with shoulder straps sewn in. About the size of a winter down bag, maybe 1200 ci, and a simple flap secured closed by cord. Something to use on summit days, just to carry water, snacks and maybe a rain jacket.

Hi Jay, yup, its got all that you asked for.

And Bob, maybe the mext project can be an even more stripped down version.

Getting the Spectra is a feat all in and of itself... :(

Does Spectra fiber have the same limitations as Spectra runners which we used as slings for climbing/mountaineering? They had a limitation that the threads would break down in extreme heat (something like 120°F+) so you couldn't store it in your car's trunk in the summer time, kind of thing... Interestingly enough, I caught an episode of "How it's made" and one of it was Spectra fiber and then this company had a patent to make it even stronger and they called it "plasma fiber" or something like that, it was a patented process on top of the Spectra cable that orientated all the fibers in such a way to make it even stronger...

But I digress... :)

Jay

Bob said:
Is a simple spectra cloth stuffsack with shoulder straps sewn in. About the size of a winter down bag, maybe 1200 ci, and a simple flap secured closed by cord. Something to use on summit days, just to carry water, snacks and maybe a rain jacket.

It seems like OR has something similar to what you're looking for:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/drycomp_summit_sack.html

I really like the idea, but I can't justify the price ($60 :eek: )

Trekking pole "sleeves" running along the lateral sides of the pack:

Long fabric tabs with velcro closures on each side for attaching collapsed trekking poles. A stretchy, conforming fabric would be ideal, so the poles wouldn't slip.

Last edited:
When you've got that pack all worked out, would you be willing to consider working on a pack that combines the suspension system(don't know if that's what its called but its the shoulder straps, frame, waist belt and bolsters on the back) of the Mountainsmith Mountainlight 3500 with the lightweighting of a Gossamer Gear pack, the durability of a Dana Designs Terraplane, waistbelt pockets whose zippers don't blow out, a detachable top pocket that converts to a fanny pack, easy to reach outside mesh pockets, that is truly waterproof, large enough for a week in the warmer months and 3 days in the winter, not priced like the Kelty Cloud, and don't forget that lightweighting. I'll buy the first four for my three sons and myself. ;)

Hahaha, yeah it would be nice to just have it all.

I would really like to have that purse Hermione uses in the last Harry Potter book! Wouldn't THAT be sweet?

This pack is NOT built for hiking specifically, but for climbers. None of our packs have frames. The company's motto is 'Light is Right' which it has been for the 28 years it has been in business.

Paradox, I love your modifications, and will use them on my own packs, but this particular design is the most stripped down version we can make for climbers, but still keep them safe.

I have yet to see a climber using hiking poles, but I am sure they are out there somewhere.

Jay, I am not sure about the Spectra Runners, as I am not a climber (YET), and do not have any first hand experience.

I CAN say that all of the 'Elite Military Units' that we make gear for have purchased their packs out of the Spectra fabric, for whatever that is worth. These guys and gals depend on their gear for a lot more than most of the rest of us do...

The goal with this PARTICULAR pack it to be for adventure racing and minimalist climbing. I am trying to keep the 'bells and whistles' to a minumum and keep the weight as low as I can.

There are loops to add whatever your own fancy is, and daisey chains of course. We have tested this pack in a lot of places, and I just recieved one back in the mail today from Alaska. It looked well loved, and SUPER well used. Spectra only comes in white, and let me tell you, THIS pack WAS NOT WHITE!

But, it smelled great, good to know the spectra doesn't hold the smell!

The top lid was pure white, never used. Everyone has their own preferences. All of our top lids are removable, and the packs are completely useable with or without.

The biggest problem I find with Spectra fabric, (aside from the price more than doubeling in the past few months) is its availability. But the main purchaser of this fabric has lives on the line, so I don't mind waiting.

Thanks for everyone's input, and as we develop the line more maybe we can use some more ideas!

;)

Summer or winter climbing?

Ice axe/tool loops would be nice and would instantly make a 3-season pack 4-season.

Jay H said:
Tow loop on the back packet for a towline.
Sorry, I don't tow my partners on the cliff... I haul them :D

Hi Doug,

Could you really fit enough 'stuff' in 2000c.i. for winter?

If you think so, the tool loops wouldn't add too much weight...

I know that one pack can't be all things to everyone, I am just trying to figure out what is 'most' important to 'most' people who want to go really fast and very light. ;)

I am working from about 4 samples that were made before I joined the company. And, since I don't climb (yet) I knew I could get good suggestions here!

:)

chinooktrail said:
Jay, I am not sure about the Spectra Runners, as I am not a climber (YET), and do not have any first hand experience.

It might be an old warning, I am pretty sure when I bought some Spectra runners (for mountaineering purposes) a few years ago, I was told not to store it in severe heat which may damage the fibers... Of course, they tell you not to store anything in a hot place but there was something with the Spectra that didn't like the heat.

Oh, and I found this link to a stronger fiber than Spectra: This is the plasma fiber company that I saw on "How it's Made":

http://www.psrope.com/about.aspx

Jay

chinooktrail said:
Hi Doug,

Could you really fit enough 'stuff' in 2000c.i. for winter?

If you think so, the tool loops wouldn't add too much weight...
For a day, yeah. Extra gloves, down jacket, food, goggles, extra water.

I just like having a pack with the loops because ice axes are so much easier to strap on as long as you have the bottom loops. I can think of many Summer mountaineering uses that would involve warm temps (less "stuff") but an ice axe.

Now, this is just me... don't get fired or anything because of me ;) if you get in trouble just tell them I threatened you unless you put ice axe looops on the pack!

Hehehe! Funny one Doug!

No worries there, not only will it HAVE ice axe loops, but my boss brought in a bunch of different ones for me to check out and get the best positioning.

I guess the guy who sent the pack back from Alaska for me to copy is this ultra crazy ultra climber/racer/adventurer. From what I gathered they drop people off about 200 miles from NOWHERE in Alaska, and they have to make it from point A to point B. And this dude is always finishing about a DAY or more ahead of the competition. Not to mention not getting eaten by grizzlies.

When I get a big enough time slot to really work on revamping this thing I will bring in some gear and try a bunch of different ways of cramming it all in or on this thing to see how it works.

I've gotten quite a few invites from the customers to try climbing with them, maybe one of these days I will give it a whirl... :eek:

The bushpilot who dropped a friend of mine in Wrangell St Elias tells me they do a pretty crazy "adventure race" every year where they drop people off at one end of the park and then they have to make it back to McCarthy on the other end by any non-motorized means possible... Most people try to paraglide as much as possible but there is always some trekking, river crossings, glacial travel, etc.. Sounds pretty cool and my favorite national park.

Jay

McCarthy? As in Kennicott Copper Mine?

That was one of my favorite trips ever when I lived in Alaska!

We went when you still had to cross the Copper River on that trolly system with your pack and your mountain bike hooked on the side of a sort of ski lift/ferris wheel seat. You had to reach up and pull on one of the cables to pull yourself across, unless there was someone waiting and they helped.

That was a great time, and a really fun place to be. ;)

I will never forget crossing the bridge that dropped down into nowhere on both sides and had no guard rails. We did what EVERYONE does the first time. Crossed it, then pulled over and walked back across, amazed that there were no guard rails and trying to see if the cliffs ever really ended...

On our way home there were people bungee jumping off it. It was one of the most crazy things I ever saw. And believe me, I saw a lot of crazy things up there.

SIGH.... I want to move back home... :(

Thanks for the hike down memory lane. ;)

Yup, one and the same... My friend and I thought didn't get to do the river crossing as because of time, we took a jump flight from Chitinia to McCarthy to save the 60 mile dirt road slog. So we bypassed the river crossings. I believe though that bridge has been improved, but I don't know for sure.

Since this wasn't a winter trip, I didn't bring crampons and stuff but my friend and I rented crampons from St Elias Guides and went out on a guided glacier tour of the root glacier and then did the Kennicott Mines tour before our flight out into the backcountry. It was pretty cool and the guide who we went with on the glacier was originally from MA and was a white mtns hiker so we talked a bit about back east.

I really loved that part of Alaska, and McCarthy was fun.

Jay